Water cooled Ryzen 3950X | Asus ROG Strix X570-I | Big Sur and Catalina | Sapphire 5700XT | G.Skill 32GB

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Ryzentosh.jpg

Configuration: Water cooled small factor form beast!
  • CPU: AMD 3950X
  • MB: Asus Strix X570-I
  • GPU: Sapphire 5700XT
  • RAM: G.Skill 32GB at 3600Mhz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZN)
  • NVMe: ADATA 1TB
  • Case: Ncase M1
  • WIFI/Bluetooth: BCM94360NG 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0
Overclock: 4.3Ghz with 1.3 VCore using the stock cooler; 5mins stress test with Cinebench
  • 4.3Ghz OC 0.61 Geek: 1315 / 15238 Cinebench: 10321
  • 4.3Ghz OC 0.59 Geek: 1310 / 14100 Cinebench: 10250
  • DOCP w PBO Geek: 1273 / 13785
  • 3.5 w PBO Geek: 1266 / 11530
BIOS:
  • Version: 2606
  • Disable FastBoot, SecureBoot, CFG
  • Enable DOCP to get 3600Mhz
OpenCore Configuration: 0.59 -> 0.61 using iMacPro1,1
  • ACPI: SSDT-EC-USBX
  • Booter/Quarks: After BIOS upgrade to 2203, these two configuration need to be set. Otherwise, OC hangs.
    • RebuildAppleMemoryMap = True
    • SetupVirtualMap = False;
  • Kexts:
    • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement (0.6.4 -> 0.6.5)
    • AppleALC (1.5.0 -> 1.5.2)
    • AppleMCEReporterDisabler (1.0)
    • Lilu (1.4.5 ->1.4.7)
    • SmallTreeIntel82576 (1.0)
    • VirtualSMC (1.1.4 -> 1.1.6)
    • WhateverGreen (1.4.0 -> 1.4.2)
    • USBPorts (custom)
Working:
  • Big Sur Beta 11 & Catalina 10.15.5, 10.15.6, 10.15.7 - iMessage
  • Ethernet (Intel 82576)
  • WIFI & Bluetooth using BCM94360NG
    • Make sure XHC0/PRT6 is mapped in USBPorts.kext
  • Audio (Asus SupremeFX): Opencore Config
    • Add device: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x4)
    • Set layout-id = 7
  • Vmware Fusion 10.1.6 (11 and 12 not working) on Catalina and VirtualBox 6.1 on both Catalina and Big Sur
  • Sleep works in Big Sur Beta 11.0.x
Not Working in Catalina:
  • Sleep
NOTE: - When I tried to switch to water block, the stock CPU sinker pulled the CPU out and ended up bending the CPU pins. Microcenter was nice enough to let me return it and get 3950x!! System and benchmark info updated using 3950x.

Attachments

• OC.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Watercooled 3950x | Ncase M1.jpg
    Watercooled 3950x | Ncase M1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • OC USBmap.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 48
  • OC4BigSur.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

phuntos

AMD OS X Member
Hi, thank you for sharing your build, it's similar to my build except I use 3950xt as the CPU. I'm running Win10 right now and about to setup my Hackintosh as my secondary boot. I guess using different CPU it won't be a problem.
My question to you about the BCM94360NG 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0 , in this case are you replacing the Intel Wifi module that come with the ASUS ROG motherboard ? or are you using adapter and installing it on the M2 interface ?

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Hi, thank you for sharing your build, it's similar to my build except I use 3950xt as the CPU. I'm running Win10 right now and about to setup my Hackintosh as my secondary boot. I guess using different CPU it won't be a problem.
My question to you about the BCM94360NG 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0 , in this case are you replacing the Intel Wifi module that come with the ASUS ROG motherboard ? or are you using adapter and installing it on the M2 interface ?
I took out the Intel Wifi/Bluetooth card and replaced it with a BCM94360NG which works natively with OSX. When I boot to Win10, the card did not work. I had to install the driver from fenvi.com. The card now works for both hacintosh and win10 now. To replace the card, you need to remove a few screws from the back of the motherboard to release the aluminum box with antenna connections. Unscrew the box and replace the card and put the box back screwed into the motherboard.

3950x should work fine! Check out my attached OpenCore.

Last edited:

phuntos

AMD OS X Member
I took out the Intel Wifi/Bluetooth card and replaced it with a BCM94360NG which works natively with OSX. When I boot to Win10, the card did not work. I had to install the driver from fenvi.com. The card now works for both hacintosh and win10 now. To replace the card, you need to remove a few screws from the back of the motherboard to release the aluminum box with antenna connections. Unscrew the box and replace the card and put the box back screwed into the motherboard.

3950x should work fine! Check out my attached OpenCore.
Hi Thanks... I did my setup following the vanilla guide, it's up and running now. I guess i'll shared in other post. Anyway, I've bought Archer T4U so I got the wifi using the USB port. So far it's working great. Except some Adobe apps, someone already posted the patches but I haven't applied it yet.

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Hi Thanks... I did my setup following the vanilla guide, it's up and running now. I guess i'll shared in other post. Anyway, I've bought Archer T4U so I got the wifi using the USB port. So far it's working great. Except some Adobe apps, someone already posted the patches but I haven't applied it yet.
Were you able to get the sleep working?

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
Oh yes ! So yours is working like a charm, I'm so happy to see that dude !

Mine is arriving for next week !
I tried the gigabyte X570i but it was so bad with the AIO of the nzxt h1, the fans were so noisy despite of the settings in BIOS ...

can I use your USB.kext please ? :)

Last edited:

phuntos

AMD OS X Member
Were you able to get the sleep working?
not yet... sleep isn't working well yet... but using the AMD Power gadget it seem help manage the system to control the CPU speed, so while there is no activity, the system will run at low speed and reduce the power usage. It's still around 30 watts but I guess is enough for now.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@phuntos The newer version of the Power Gadget uses quite a lot of power for the new drawing routine. With the older App I get power usage as low as 18 watts reported. (You can just close the app to reduce power usage).

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
@phuntos The newer version of the Power Gadget uses quite a lot of power for the new drawing routine. With the older App I get power usage as low as 18 watts reported. (You can just close the app to reduce power usage).

I find this app useless...
My AIO were too noisy and I must reset the app each time I booted...

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
And do you have weird results like me...
while I’m working on blender for 1h (or playing to a game etc) and ut shows 40-60W and the temperature of the CPU is about 55 degrees...

édit :
thx, it works like a charm, it's way better than the gigabyte one

Last edited:

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Finally got the water cooled 3950x and 5700 xt installed. RGB looks pretty good...

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
When I tried to switch to water block, the stock CPU sinker pulled the CPU out

Your not the only one to have this happen. It happened to me with an apu swap to a 3600X. Best way to remove the stock cooler I have determined is to heat up the cpu (use the computer and run a cpu benchmark) with the side off, then shut down, and unclip the cooler, and gently twist. This breaks the bond between the cooler and cpu, preventing the cpu being ripped out of the socket with the cooler.

I never bent any pins though.

Congrats on getting your rig up and going. I just updated to OC 0.6 myself after flashing latest bios and having a few boot issue. Helps to have a real mac handy (mbp here) to tweak the config.plist. I used the opportunity to upgrade from 0.5.9

ardweebno

AMD OS X Member
Your not the only one to have this happen. It happened to me with an apu swap to a 3600X. Best way to remove the stock cooler I have determined is to heat up the cpu (use the computer and run a cpu benchmark) with the side off, then shut down, and unclip the cooler, and gently twist. This breaks the bond between the cooler and cpu, preventing the cpu being ripped out of the socket with the cooler.

I never bent any pins though.

Congrats on getting your rig up and going. I just updated to OC 0.6 myself after flashing latest bios and having a few boot issue. Helps to have a real mac handy (mbp here) to tweak the config.plist. I used the opportunity to upgrade from 0.5.9

If you weren't already aware, Propertree works just fine under Windows and Linux. I keep a Ubuntu USB thumbdrive around with Propertree installed on it just for this reason!

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
If you weren't already aware, Propertree works just fine under Windows and Linux. I keep a Ubuntu USB thumbdrive around with Propertree installed on it just for this reason!

Yes I knew this but good advice - I just happened to have a real mac nearby to use, if it had have been a dell, I could have still fixed my config. :)

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Good idea! Any of you guys have sleep issue with OC and Catalina?

dannymak

AMD OS X Member
I tried using your EFI files on High Sierra , I got 3950x and Asus X570i and 750ti, USB and BT(BCM94360NG) didnt works at all
Im using OC0.61, I just replaced my ACPI and kext files.
Iam debut is HS not compatible with your Catalina settings..

Or would you like to teach us how to USB mapping, so I can do it by myself.

Thank you. 🙏

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
I tried using your EFI files on High Sierra , I got 3950x and Asus X570i and 750ti, USB and BT(BCM94360NG) didnt works at all
Im using OC0.61, I just replaced my ACPI and kext files.
Iam debut is HS not compatible with your Catalina settings..

Or would you like to teach us how to USB mapping, so I can do it by myself.

Thank you. 🙏
Try the second attachment. I followed https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/ to create SSDT-XHC.aml and USBPorts.kext.

Essentially, if you boot without any XHC rename and USBPort mapping, you would get two XHC0 and XHC1. XHC0 in SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 and SB.PCI0.GP13.XHC0. SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC1. Following some articles on the net, I changed

• SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC1 to XHCI
  • SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 to XHC
  • SB.PCI0.GP13.XHC0 to XHC2

And, then set appropriate connector type: USB2, USB3, Internal or TypeC.

Read the open core post install document. That explains usb mapping better.

Even without the usb mapping, I was able to get all the usb ports to work. I was trying to fix my sleep problem, but all the variation I tried, i could not get it to work in Catalina. When I tried Mojave, it worked with and without the usb mapping.

dannymak

AMD OS X Member
Try the second attachment. I followed https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/ to create SSDT-XHC.aml and USBPorts.kext.

Essentially, if you boot without any XHC rename and USBPort mapping, you would get two XHC0 and XHC1. XHC0 in SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 and SB.PCI0.GP13.XHC0. SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC1. Following some articles on the net, I changed

• SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC1 to XHCI
  • SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 to XHC
  • SB.PCI0.GP13.XHC0 to XHC2

And, then set appropriate connector type: USB2, USB3, Internal or TypeC.

Read the open core post install document. That explains usb mapping better.

Even without the usb mapping, I was able to get all the usb ports to work. I was trying to fix my sleep problem, but all the variation I tried, i could not get it to work in Catalina. When I tried Mojave, it worked with and without the usb mapping.
Thank you, but I tried your attachment 2 on High Sierra and use my config.plist it didn't work at all, all the ports are still detected as usb2.

I think I'll get a cheap 2nd hand AMD card and install Catalina and see..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 9.15.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 9.15.33 PM.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.