Trouble installing Ventura on AM5

zenith

AMD OS X Member
Getting #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] error. I have looked at other threads / users having the same issue with similar hardware and no fix on my end

All specs should be in signature

Attached is my current EFI (SMBIOS removed) and my last opencore log. I created it following the Dortania guide (Zen4 17h and 19h) using Opencore 0.9.7, then followed CaseySJ's AM5 thread here on AMDOSX to "mimic" his EFI but on the current Opencore version.

I have also tried just using a "default" Dortania guide EFI, strictly following the guide, same error

If I had to take a guess as to what it could be, more than likely a redundant Kext or BIOS settings

I am open to any and all feedback on the topic, thanks in advance

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.7 MB · Views: 5
  • opencore-2024-01-13-014521.txt
    256 KB · Views: 2

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Getting #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] error. I have looked at other threads / users having the same issue with similar hardware and no fix on my end

Attached is my current EFI (SMBIOS removed) and my last opencore log. I created it following the Dortania guide (Zen4 17h and 19h) using Opencore 0.9.7, then followed CaseySJ's AM5 thread here on AMDOSX to "mimic" his EFI but on the current Opencore version.

I have also tried just using a "default" Dortania guide EFI, strictly following the guide, same error

If I had to take a guess as to what it could be, more than likely a redundant Kext or BIOS settings

First thing I noticed was the patch for AM5 was not enabled in your config.plist under Kernel/ Patch. "CaseySJ | IOPCIIsHotplugPort | Fix PCI bus enumeration on AM5 | 13.0+" was disabled so I added it. Also I see your Booter MmioWhitelist settings are unusual, typically it's only one or possibly two values that should be enabled. I also changed those to reflect what Casey has in his build, only the second value enabled as you can see in his thread. Hopefully the attached will work for you.

If the EFI.zip doesn't work please try the EFI2.zip alternative

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 4
  • EFI2.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

zenith

AMD OS X Member
First thing I noticed was the patch for AM5 was not enabled in your config.plist under Kernel/ Patch. "CaseySJ | IOPCIIsHotplugPort | Fix PCI bus enumeration on AM5 | 13.0+" was disabled so I added it. Also I see your Booter MmioWhitelist settings are unusual, typically it's only one or possibly two values that should be enabled. I also changed those to reflect what Casey has in his build, only the second value enabled as you can see in his thread. Hopefully the attached will work for you.

If the EFI.zip doesn't work please try the EFI2.zip alternative
Thank you for the reply. I disabled the AM5 patch because my board does not have USB4/Thunderbolt which is what that patch is supposed to fix. I assumed less patches = possibly less errors in that situation. The MMIO whitelist however was my fault, I should have followed the guide more strictly and only enabled the same values.

As for now, the first EFI you sent gave the same error but did not remove the apple logo, just froze. The 2nd EFI however is working so far, currently waiting for the progress bar to fill on the first screen of the installer. Will update here when it succeeds or fails

zenith

AMD OS X Member
Thank you for the reply. I disabled the AM5 patch because my board does not have USB4/Thunderbolt which is what that patch is supposed to fix. I assumed less patches = possibly less errors in that situation. The MMIO whitelist however was my fault, I should have followed the guide more strictly and only enabled the same values.

As for now, the first EFI you sent gave the same error but did not remove the apple logo, just froze. The 2nd EFI however is working so far, currently waiting for the progress bar to fill on the first screen of the installer. Will update here when it succeeds or fails
Seems to be freezing at about half progress. Tried installing via USB and with an EFI partition on the drive itself, only the drive I am installing on is connected.

Opencore log says the same error, #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]. Can send the new log if needed

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Seems to be freezing at about half progress. Tried installing via USB and with an EFI partition on the drive itself, only the drive I am installing on is connected.

Opencore log says the same error, #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]. Can send the new log if needed
EB|LOG:EXITBS:START in this build can mean several things. It can be the wrong MIMO Whitelist entries or not having Above 4G Decoding in the bios enabled (while in there make sure your iGPU, and serial port are disabled). It can also be caused by incorrect SSDTs. If you have windows or can get a clean DDST dump you might give SSDTTime by Corpnewt a shot and create your own machine specific SSDTs

zenith

AMD OS X Member
Besides knowing which MMIO entries to enable and disable, I did include all entries found in my opencore log. Above 4G Decoding is enabled, iGPU is disabled, and as far as I know this motherboard doesn't have a serial port or I cannot find the option for it in bios.

The SSDTs in my original EFI I sent were created by myself using SSDTTime, as well as my USBMap created with the tool included in the Dortania guide

I have checked with the Dortania troubleshooting guide before I asked for help here, ran out of options trying to figure it out myself.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Besides knowing which MMIO entries to enable and disable, I did include all entries found in my opencore log. Above 4G Decoding is enabled, iGPU is disabled, and as far as I know this motherboard doesn't have a serial port or I cannot find the option for it in bios.

The SSDTs in my original EFI I sent were created by myself using SSDTTime, as well as my USBMap created with the tool included in the Dortania guide

I have checked with the Dortania troubleshooting guide before I asked for help here, ran out of options trying to figure it out myself.
I think you may be missing an SSDT, please feel free to try the attached which also turns on verbose booting.

Attachments

• EFI3.zip

zenith

AMD OS X Member
Verbose does work now however it froze almost immediately, couldn't screenshot because I lost all USB when it froze

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Verbose does work now however it froze almost immediately, couldn't screenshot because I lost all USB when it froze
I am pretty much out of ideas except to refer you to this thread that CaseySJ started. His EFI may work for you, it never would for me regardless of the adjustments I made. I had the exact same board at the time so it was a real puzzler but finally achieve a successful build reading other users posts. There are also other Asus X670E builds in the success stories portion of the forum you can read about.

zenith

AMD OS X Member
I am pretty much out of ideas except to refer you to this thread that CaseySJ started. His EFI may work for you, it never would for me regardless of the adjustments I made. I had the exact same board at the time so it was a real puzzler but finally achieve a successful build reading other users posts. There are also other Asus X670E builds in the success stories portion of the forum you can read about.
I appreciate the effort and help, if I somehow come across anything I'll update here for the info for others

What did you change from my original EFI and EFI2 that made me even get "halfway" through the installation progress and what did you change in EFI3 to make the verbose work, I can never get it to display. These questions may be easier answered with a PLIST compare script which I probably will also do but still wanted to ask

Also, I'm assuming its freezing halfway through. I've let it run for about an hour and a half and it "seemed" like it never moved but it could have just been very slowly moving. The drive is not particularly that slow so I have good faith in my assumption

This is a general question to anyone -

In the Dortania guide it says to make sure the drive I am installing onto is GPT and an APFS partition. I don't have any way of making an APFS partition (AFAIK on Windows) so I just have ~220GB unallocated space on a GPT drive with a 1GB EFI partition. Would this be "a" reason why it freezes halfway and if so how do I create an APFS partition without a Mac device

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I appreciate the effort and help, if I somehow come across anything I'll update here for the info for others

What did you change from my original EFI and EFI2 that made me even get "halfway" through the installation progress and what did you change in EFI3 to make the verbose work, I can never get it to display. These questions may be easier answered with a PLIST compare script which I probably will also do but still wanted to ask
I changed the SSDT's in EFI2 and in 3 added the boot argument -v for verbose mode. EFI4 has both changes, EFI5 is what I use on my Hero board without the USB Mapping that is different.
Also, I'm assuming it's freezing halfway through. I've let it run for about an hour and a half and it "seemed" like it never moved but it could have just been very slowly moving. The drive is not particularly that slow so I have good faith in my assumption

This is a general question to anyone -

In the Dortania guide it says to make sure the drive I am installing onto is GPT and an APFS partition. I don't have any way of making an APFS partition (AFAIK on Windows) so I just have ~220GB unallocated space on a GPT drive with a 1GB EFI partition. Would this be "a" reason why it freezes halfway and if so how do I create an APFS partition without a Mac device
That should not make a difference until you get to the install screen which at that point you can choose disk utility and format the drive

Attachments

• EFI4.zip
  • EFI5.zip
    51.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

WantsToPetYourKitty

AMD OS X Member

OP, I also have an AM5 AMD setup, similar to yours, with a B650 mobo chipset. I built my hack back in September of last year and it is dead stable. I can share with you my complete config.plist if that helps. FYI I'm on OC 0.9.3-DEBUG. I also have a copy of my config.plist I had on my USB drive I used to successfully run the installer.

Like you, during installation I also had freezes halfway through. They are caused by Invalid Frame Pointers - read more below on how to fix it. To help you get everything dialed in, I would recommend you use a DEBUG version of OpenCore if you aren't already. You can switch back to a non-debug version once your machine is completely set up.

These are all a MUST in your config.plist to successfully get into the installer and all the way through it:
  • EnableWriteUnprotector -> False
  • RebuildAppleMemoryMap -> True
  • SyncRuntimePermissions -> True
  • Enable DevirtualizeMMIO and set KASLR slides per Dortania. Prevents the [EB] #LOG: EXITBS:START error in Opencore
  • Enable MMIOWhitelist and copy hexadecimal MMIO deviart addresses from Opencore logs. Prevents Kernel Panics for Invalid Frame Pointers on both shutdown and halfway through installation process (the latter does not log an error! You will just see the installer lock up). See Dortania troubleshooting guide
Hope this helps,

-Jake

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.