Success! ASUS ROG STRIX B650-EF | RYZEN 9 7900X | OC 0.9.1| RX 6950XT

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
IMG_0236.png

AMD 7900x ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F, 6950XT, and Fenvi T919 | Fractal North Mid Tower ATX

GitHub repo based off of my currently running EFI:

https://github.com/ryanilano/hackintosh-asus-b650ef-amd

I have 3 NVMe's and 2 SSDs running various operating systems on different storage! Love the new Fractal North chassis!

Works:
Pretty much everything, Even my watch will unlock macOS password prompts!

To-Do:
I've mapped the ports in USBMap.kext, though I want to change it up a bit -- not sure if USB-C is performing as it should. I think I can. more efficiently use my 15-17 port limit

Amdeez' Fractal North Ryzen Hackintosh
Temperature rules! I suggest running on the 7900X Eco Mode. My temps don't go above 79/80C and performance loss is negligible
  • (2x 140mm) INTAKE: Front -- Noctua Chromax NF-A14 PWM
  • (2x 140mm) EXHAUST: Top -- Arctic P14 PWM PST -- linked to the speed of the AIO cooler fan speeds
  • (2x 140mm) INTAKE: Side -- Arctic Freezer 280ml AIO in the bracket Fractal provided with the Fractal North
  • (1x 120mm) EXHAUST: Rear -- Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM (the Arctic 280 in the bracket doesn't leave enough space for a normal 25mm fan) ... the 120mm rear fan is partially blocked by the radiator but system temps are still great.
Thanks to everyone in the Ryzen 7000 Testing thread!

More photos to come. This setup is fantastic for cooling! very quiet.

IMG_0309.pngIMG_0306.pngIMG_0305.png

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Nice build.

You should be aware that the 15 port USB limit is not the same when using an Intel or AMD build. The most important thing to remember is that the 15 port limit is per controller. This makes a huge difference on an AMD system.
  1. On an Intel system the motherboard will usually have one USB Controller serving up to 26 ports (XHC) plus an optional Thunderbolt USB controller serving another 4 ports (XHC5 or similar).
    • The 15 port limit only affects the XHC USB Controller. Where 9 of the USB ports will need to be dropped from the USB configuration, to keep within the 15 port limit per controller.
  2. On an AMD system the motherboard may have two or three USB controllers (XHC0, XHC1, PTXH, PXSX etc.), where each controller has a 15 port limit.
    • AMD motherboard USB controllers rarely if ever exceed the 15 port limit.
    • So you could have 30+ USB ports active within a single system where each USB Controller activates 15 ports or less.
I have seen AMD motherboards with the XHC0 controller activating 14 ports, the XHC1 controller activating 9 ports and the PTXH controller activating 9 ports, giving a total of 32 active USB ports, but none of the three USB controllers are activating more than 15 ports, so they all stay within the limit imposed by Apple for each USB Controller.

You need to make sure you keep the 15 port limit per controller in mind when configuring your USB port setup.

Map all the case ports, rear I/O plate ports and internal ports even if you don't plan on using them, so you create a full picture of the ports available on your system. That way you will be able to see which ports are under each USB Controller and whether your system can activate all of the available ports.

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You need to make sure you keep the 15 port limit per controller in mind when configuring your USB port setup.

Map all the case ports, rear I/O plate ports and internal ports even if you don't plan on using them, so you create a full picture of the ports available on your system. That way you will be able to see which ports are under each USB Controller and whether your system can activate all of the available ports.

THANK YOU!!! For some reason I thought it was 15 max TOTAL not per controller. That was pretty problematic considering a USB-A 3.0 port would take up two (3.0 and 2.0) of the 15 available. There are several controllers present when I ran the USBMapTool in Windows. Attached my current plist which I'll update later this weekend.

Also, My USB-C ports and everything else is reporting usually as 3.0, the USB-A SS port on the back also doesn't look any different from any other USB 3 port in terms of how the tool generates the USBMap kext

I tried to leave specific notes especially if I knew how they corresponded to the MB's manual / header names. I may ask for a review later :)

Attachments

• usbmap-amdosx.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sure, I'm happy to have a look at your USB map when it is closer to being completed.

I always find using images of the motherboard layout and rear I/O plate helpful when undertaking the USB port discovery phase. I use them to note which port is highlighted when a USB drive is inserted. This makes it easier to set the correct Connector type for each port, it also allows others to see what you have set with regards to any specific port or motherboard header. These notes when used with the comments in the info.plist can help identify any irregularities in the USB configuration.

I have attached a pair of screenshots taken of the Rear I/O and motherboard.

Motherboard layout.png Rear I-O plate.png

I have also attached a number of screenshots taken from the Motherboard manual, which clarify where the USB ports and headers are located and which type of port they represent. Asus are helpful in that they more often than not add information regarding the port name along with the details of the port description. This is true with your board as can be seen on the images below.

USB ports.png WiFi connector + USB port.png

MB Layout diagram.png Type-c + USB3 headers.png USB2 headers.png

MB Rear I-O descriptors.png

Just looking through the text file you provided above I can tell that your motherboard has 4 x USB controllers, XH00, XHC0, XHC1 and XHC2. None of which are likely to exceed the 15 port limit.

You need to be careful when setting the USB connector type for each port or header.

Your motherboard has the following ports:
  • 4 x USB2 physical ports (black tang) on the rear I/O, which should be set as USB2 (0)
  • 2 x USB2 header ports (bottom of motherboard serve case front ports/card readers etc.), providing 4 ports, all of which should be set with connector type Internal (255)
  • 1 x USB2 port associated with the WiFi M.2 connector, specifically the M.2 Intel Bluetooth module, which should be set as Internal (255).
  • 1 x USB3 header (serves case front USB3 ports), providing 4 x ports (2 x physical USB3 and 2 x virtual USB2), which should be set with connector type USB3 (3), not Internal (255), as you have in your current setup.
  • 6 x USB3 ports on the rear I/O (4 x Blue tang and 2 x Red tang), providing 12 ports (6 x physical USB3 and 6 x virtual USB2), all of which should be set with connector type USB3 (3).
  • 2 x Type-C physical ports on the rear I/O, providing 4 x ports (2 x Type-C & 2 x virtual USB2).
  • 1 x Type-E header port (serves case front Type-C port) right side of motherboard below 24-pin power connector, providing 2 x ports (Type-C & virtual USB2).
    • These Type-c ports should be set as Type-C with Switch (9) or Type-C without switch (10) depending on how they behave when a Type-C device is removed from a physical port and flipped 180° before being reinserted in the same port.
    • If the same USB port is highlighted when the device is reinserted after being flipped then it should be set as Type-C with switch (9).
    • If a different USB port is highlighted when the device is reinserted after being flipped then is should be set a Type-C without switch (10).
  • Any USB2 virtual ports (often termed companion ports) should should be set with the same connector type as the physical port from which it is served.
I hope this helps.

x10bulls

AMD OS X Member
Congrats on you successful build!

I have a very similar setup (CPU/Mboard) to what you have but I am not able to get macOS to run after the first installer part. My motherboard is a STRIX ROG Strix B650E-I and 7950X CPU with RX580 GFX card and 64GB RAM BIOS version 1405.

My steps taken:
1. Created macOS 12.6.5 Installer
2. Pulled the EFI folder without making any changes from https://github.com/ryanilano/hackintosh-asus-b650ef-amd
3. Reboot
4. Run installer from USB and get successfully to the installer screen
5. Erase GPT 256GB SSD
6. Select this disk and start the install process
7. Automatic reboot happens as part of the installer
8. Boot from USB menu and select "Install macOS"
9. it reboots here all the time.

Questions.
1. Do I have to generate a SMBIOS after I created the installer and pulled the EFI folder?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, you need to generate and use a new SMBIOS when you use someone else’s EFI folder.

poshook

AMD OS X Member
View attachment 10504

AMD 7900x ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F, 6950XT, and Fenvi T919 | Fractal North Mid Tower ATX

I have 3 NVMe's and 2 SSDs running various operating systems on different storage! Love the new Fractal North chassis!

Works:

To-Do:
I've mapped the ports in USBMap.kext, though I want to change it up a bit -- not sure if USB-C is performing as it should. I think I can. more efficiently use my 15-17 port limit

Temperature rules! I suggest running on the 7900X Eco Mode. My temps don't go above 79/80C and performance loss is negligible
  • (2x 140mm) EXHAUST: Top -- Arctic P14 PWM PST -- linked to the speed of the AIO cooler fan speeds
  • (2x 140mm) INTAKE: Side -- Arctic Freezer 280ml AIO in the bracket Fractal provided with the Fractal North
  • (1x 120mm) EXHAUST: Rear -- Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM (the Arctic 280 in the bracket doesn't leave enough space for a normal 25mm fan) ... the 120mm rear fan is partially blocked by the radiator but system temps are still great.

View attachment 10506View attachment 10507View attachment 10508

Congratulations,

can you send cinebench R23 results multicore/singlo core? Thank you

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Congratulations,

can you send cinebench R23 results multicore/singlo core? Thank you
Cinebench R23 (B650E-F BIOS:1616 | 7900x PBO Eco 105W CO -20)
multi core: 28554
single core: 1931

Attachments

• cinebench-benchmark-7900x-Monterey.png
    cinebench-benchmark-7900x-Monterey.png
    599.2 KB · Views: 25

poshook

AMD OS X Member
Cinebench R23 (B650E-F BIOS:1616 | 7900x PBO Eco 105W CO -20)
multi core: 28554
single core: 1931
Perfect, thank you. I am also interested in Geekbench results
Do you have Ventura 13.4 EFI to share? Do I need any changes due to RX570 graphic? I downloaded your EFI from github to opne config.plist in Auxiliary Tools but got error "Invalid plist file"

Last edited:

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Perfect, thank you. I am also interested in Geekbench results
Do you have Ventura 13.4 EFI to share? Do I need any changes due to RX570 graphic? I downloaded your EFI from github to opne config.plist in Auxiliary Tools but got error "Invalid plist file"

Make sure OCAT or whatever is set to the right version of OpenCore as whats on the repo. Edit out the 6950 stuff from the config.

Geekbench results on 12.6.6 with 32gb of RAM

IMG_0192.jpeg
IMG_0193.jpeg

dekuyt

AMD OS X Member
View attachment 10504

Works:

To-Do:

View attachment 10506View attachment 10507View attachment 10508
hey guys. Would this efi also work for my B650E-E?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.