Sanity Check regarding the 6900XT performance

delon2541

AMD OS X Member
Hi Guys, I am at my wits end and need some sanity check.
Yesterday, went through like 100pages here :D found out some interesting info and learned a ton.
I found out the issue with bad performance of 6900xt in 12.3 was fixed in 12.3.1 (I am on newer one, latest monterey)

-I have reinstalled the macOS (Monterey again as I found the issue was fixed)
-Spoofed the GPU to be 73BF
-used AAPL,DualLink in device properties as well
-GPU is nicely visible in System Report>Displays and also System Report>PCI (wasn't there before)
-GPU Reports as Navi 21 16GB in About this Mac (its ok, I haven't added custom model name)
-checked the Hardware acceleration (via terminal command) it works / -radcodec is in boot args
-I have HDR working on my monitor now (wasn't working few days ago, but I am not using it anyway)
-Turned on Resizable bar as it is supported by MB and GPU / resize bar set to 0 in config.plist
-I have ryzen 7 5800x, turned on Shaneees cpu fix instead of algrey (increased fps from 10-20 to 60-80)
-Geekbench shows 200 000 Metal Score (while my Mac studio ultra has 100k)
-I launch a world of warcraft in 2k res, medium settings and the GPU usage is at 8%
frame rate is constantly around 80 and when I start to move in game, it drops to 40
-tried to remove one fullHD monitor, that has increased the FPS slightly, by like 10fps but it still can drop down to 40
-vertical sync does help locking it to 60 but it still drops to 40 when I start to move in game.

I am coming to a conclusion, that the openCore is not able to fully utilize the GPU the same way as the classic macs do and the 80fps is the best it can do with such optimalization.
Or, something is missing and the GPU can't be fully utilized.
I am reading here that some guys here are playing in 4K and that counters my conclusion about the opencore utilization of GPU. So I am loosing my sanity here :D
If anyone can chime in, with how much fps they are usually getting with such card on their hackintosh it would be great so I know that it is possible to have it working at max potential.

Things to test
-Big Sur 11.6
-Only one monitor connected but this time via DisplayPort connection and not via HDMI
-check processor type in config.plist and change it to 3841 (8core ryzen 7 5800x)
-try to run the game via terminal with command MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=5

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have 6900XT and have pretty much identical GB5 score. There's really nothing to do regarding performance, Apple drivers work natively with this card and that's it.

-Spoofed the GPU to be 73BF

This card is natively supported so no need to spoof. What does this accomplishes, meaning what you try to emulate..?

Turned on Resizable bar as it is supported by MB and GPU / resize bar set to 0 in config.plist

This is compatibility quirk so you can use SAM in Windows. It does nothing for performance in macOS.

-I launch a world of warcraft in 2k res, medium settings and the GPU usage is at 8% frame rate is constantly around 80 and when I start to move in game, it drops to 40

I never game in macOS, I have Windows 11 on separate disk so can't help you there.
But I wonder - do you know for sure that this game works better on actual Apple Mac..?

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
This card is natively supported so no need to spoof.
Some 6900 xt need a spoof because they have a different ID (73BA or 73AF , I do not remember well which one of this)

Last edited:

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi, i have an AMD 6900XT and none of the USB on my LG hdr 4k UL850 or Ultrafine UP850 works, neither my thunderbolt via the titan ridge v2
Is this normal ?

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.