Ryzen 7 5700U Beelink Mini PC

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Dumb question, would this NUC type AMD box work with Nootred.kext? Is it possible to get it running some version of OSX?
Thanks in advance

Limited-time deal: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5700U (8C/16T, up to 4.3GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB M.2 PCIe3.0 SSD, SER5 Pro Mini Desktop Computer Support 4K@60Hz Triple Display/WiFi 6/BT5.2/USB3.2/Gaming/Office/Home https://a.co/d/bRlbYnj

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I see no reason to prevent it working with NootedRed.kext. I have a Ryzen 7 5700G APU that works with NootedRed.kext. The Ryzen 7 5700U isn't that different. The Radeon graphics for both CPU's are pretty much identical.

You might want to have a closer look at the WiFi/BT module that is used. Check that it's not soldered to the board. Also to check if it is incompatible (Mediatek or other) that it can be swapped for an Intel or Broadcom card.

The NVMe M.2 drive won't be a Western Digital or SanDisk drive, it might be worth finding out which drive is used. So you don't end up with a low end Samsung or other problematic NVMe drive. Quite a few AMD Laptops have less than stellar NVME drives that need to be swapped out before macOS will run on them.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I see no reason to prevent it working with NootedRed.kext. I have a Ryzen 7 5700G APU that works with NootedRed.kext. The Ryzen 7 5700U isn't that different. The Radeon graphics for both CPU's are pretty much identical.

You might want to have a closer look at the WiFi/BT module that is used. Check that it's not soldered to the board. Also to check if it is incompatible (Mediatek or other) that it can be swapped for an Intel or Broadcom card.

The NVMe M.2 drive won't be a Western Digital or SanDisk drive, it might be worth finding out which drive is used. So you don't end up with a low end Samsung or other problematic NVMe drive. Quite a few AMD Laptops have less than stellar NVME drives that need to be swapped out before macOS will run on them.
All excellent points, thanks Ed. This model does seem to have a Mediatek Wifi/ Bluetooth card so not a good choice. It's tough to tell but I don't think there's an option to be able to change it outside of commandeering the M2 slot of which there is only one. I found another model that has a Realtek card which could work with help form Chris1111, no way to tell what make the Nvme drive is.....thinking about it but its $300 and would probably just sit on a shelf once I got it set up and working 100%.

craighazan

Donator
Donator

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
This is what the Driver support page offers for WiFi & BT:

U59 PRO AX101 WiFi & Bluetooth DriverU59 PRO AX101 WiFi & Bluetooth Driver, Specially for AX101 module

So I would assume it Is a supported Intel WiFi/BT card, as Itlwm.kext and Airportitlwm.kext support the AX101 card.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 08.33.48.png List of supported Intel Gen 2 cards, including AX101.

By the looks of the spec page you will need to replace the NVMe card, or use the current one for Windows and add a second to the bottom M.2 Connector for macOS.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@leesurone I was just fantasizing about that one, I like the color. Are you referring to this one?.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 11.43.04 AM.png

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
So you would have to create an SSDT to disable the MediaTek card in macOS, but leave it available for Windows. Use a USB WiFi dongle for macOS, Realtek or something similar that Chris1111 supports.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
So you would have to create an SSDT to disable the MediaTek card in macOS, but leave it available for Windows. Use a USB WiFi dongle for macOS, Realtek or something similar that Chris1111 supports.
I thought about that, still on the fence about the whole project. Appreciate the input as always.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Don't think about it for too long, I don't think you'll see deals like this for much longer. The BeeLink page on Amazon have coupons off for up to $100, I'm sure if it's available in the UK. Here's my choice with a $100 off!.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 8.45.48 AM.png

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.