Opencore Boot Installer stuck on underscore, no blinking cursor, black screen.

divarak

AMD OS X Member
Hello, I am struggling with Opencore on High Sierra Installer. Can't make it run, Always stuck, and sanitycheckers are telling me that the config.plist is ok.

Opencore 0.9.4
Intel i7-2600k
P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
GTX 980
I have also a RocketRAID 2720 SAS

Please Help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @divarak,

Okay that's one of my older motherboards you're using so I can help you out here.
Looks like you are missing:

1) SSDT-PM.aml is needed for the power management. You'll need to create it post-install via this script > SSDT-PM (opens new window)
2) Not enabled Booter > EnableSafeModeSlide & RebuildAppleMemoryMap
3) Kernel > AppleCpuPmCfgLock & ThirdPartyDrives not enabled
4) Missing Platform ID for Ivy Bridge under PCI devices
5) Enabled both IntelSnowMausi and Intelmausi - only Intelmausi required
6) Disabled CPUFriend.kext for testing
7) NVMEFix.kext was enabled (not required for High Sierra afaik)
8) UEFI > EnableVectorAcceleration NOT required
9) UEFI > Drivers > only HFSPlus, OpenRuntime & OpenCanopy required
10) Added AppleALC.kext for audio
11) Removed Whatevername app (?) from Kexts folder.
12) Some essential tools missing ie. CleanNVRAM, ResetSystem.efi

I've made the above changes to the EFI (save the SSDT-PM.aml which you need to create yourself and enable afterwards).
Give it a try and see if it boots.

Just thought to also let you know, your system is capable of running up to Big Sur (with the Nvidia GTX980 card).
If you want to run the latest Ventura you will need to replace the card with an AMD DGPU such as RX5700/RX6600, disable SIP also add CryptexFixup.kext &
Ivy Bridge root patches from Opencore Legacy Patcher.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Just thought to also let you know, your system is capable of running up to Big Sur (with the Nvidia GTX980 card).
That’s not correct. The Nvidia GTX 980 is only supported up to High Sierra, as it requires the Nvidia Web Drivers.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
That’s not correct. The Nvidia GTX 980 is only supported up to High Sierra, as it requires the Nvidia Web Drivers.
Sorry @Edhawk you are right! I'd misread his GTX980 as GTX780. :LOL:

divarak

AMD OS X Member
MiddleMan, first of all, thank you for your time. I cleaned my EFI folder on Installer stick, paste your file.
I tried to run it, but the behavior was the same. Black screen, underscore cursor. Just stuck.

There just something else messing up, and I can't realize what could be.

Anyway... The machine is running clover and works... Tried to squeeze some performance with opencore.

I will try again all of this when I receive a Xeon and a chinese mobo to "refresh" my machine.

Again, thank you and have a nice day.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Is the bios in your Sandy Bridge system 'Legacy' or 'UEFI'. This is important as a UEFI setup won't work in a legacy system. You need an extra 'boot' file that sits alongside the EFI folder on the root of your macOS installation drives EFI partition.

Check out the BootInstall_X64.tool in the /OpenCore-0.9.4/Utilities/LegacyBoot/BootInstall_X64.tool

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 22.50.31.png Essential Utility for Legacy systems.

Which BIOS version are you using?
Have you enabled UEFI booting in the bios, or left it as legacy only?

divarak

AMD OS X Member
Hello Edhawk

Bios is v3802
If I put the boot priority to uefi, I get blank screen and refuses to boot. Must use clear rtc jumper to Go back.
I tried to run the legacy tool on the flash drive, booting in legacy the flash drive gives a black with red text error screen.

Thank you.

I will wait for the new machine, then I will try a clean install.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.