IONVMeFamily Panic Booting Install Media

DigitalCrazy

AMD OS X Member
I'm currently running Big Sur without any major issues but when I try to boot into the Ventura install I get a kernel panic.

My specs are:
Motherboard: MSI B550m Bazooka
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
Storage: 2x WD Blue SN550 NVMe, 1x WD WD10EZEX, 1x SanDisk SSD PLUS, 1x Seagate ST1000DX002

Attached is my EFI and a video showing the kernel panic.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0383.zip
    30.6 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The video of the boot process shows that the boot argument npci=0x3000 is being used, but it is not in your config.plist. So did you fail to use the ClearNvram.efi or ResetNvram.efi when you tried to boot Monterey?

The video definitely shows issues with your NVME drive failing to set. Have you tried booting with the NvmeFix.kext disabled?

Not sure what the message above the NVMe Assert messages indicates, as I have not seen it before - dev: 0 found dead pic devices GFX0

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 19.15.29.png

I would recommend you try to install Ventura with just the one drive attached in the system, the one you plan to install Ventura on to. Temporarily remove the other drives. They can be added back in to the system once you have installed macOS Ventura.

Try this cleaned up and slightly edited version of your EFI. See if it works any better.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 8

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Oh yeah, your USBMap.kext is a mess.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 19.44.32.png screenshot of USBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist showing only 15 active ports.

The POTx controller has only 9 ports active.
The PRTx controller has only 6 ports active.

As you have two USB Controllers you can have a 15 ports per USB controller. So, theoretically you can have a maximum of 30 ports across the two controllers.

You do not need to limit or reduce the number of ports if you have less than 15 ports on any single USB controller.

You have a number of incorrectly set USB ports in the POTx section.
  1. POT1 & POT5 should be set as Type-c+switch (9), not as Type-C without switch (10).
  2. POT7& POT8 should be set as USB3 (3), not as USB2 (0)
  3. PO11 & PO12 should be set a Internal (255), not as USB2 (0)
  4. PO10 should be set as USB3 (3) not as USB2 (0)
You need to edit the USBMap.kext to correct these issues.

DigitalCrazy

AMD OS X Member
Hi Edhawk, thanks for replying.

The video of the boot process shows that the boot argument npci=0x3000 is being used, but it is not in your config.plist. So did you fail to use the ClearNvram.efi or ResetNvram.efi when you tried to boot Monterey?
Yeah my mistake not mentioning that, between the time I took the video and made the thread I removed the npci argument and tested both with "Above 4G decoding" enabled and disabled, no change.

Not sure what the message above the NVMe Assert messages indicates, as I have not seen it before - dev: 0 found dead pic devices GFX0
First time I see it as well, apparently it's related to Lilu but all kexts are updated and I don't see that message when booting into Big Sur.

I would recommend you try to install Ventura with just the one drive attached in the system, the one you plan to install Ventura on to. Temporarily remove the other drives. They can be added back in to the system once you have installed macOS Ventura.

Try this cleaned up and slightly edited version of your EFI. See if it works any better.

Oh yeah, your USBMap.kext is a mess.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 19.44.32.png screenshot of USBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist showing only 15 active ports.

The POTx controller has only 9 ports active.
The PRTx controller has only 6 ports active.

As you have two USB Controllers you can have a 15 ports per USB controller. So, theoretically you can have a maximum of 30 ports across the two controllers.

You do not need to limit or reduce the number of ports if you have less than 15 ports on any single USB controller.

You have a number of incorrectly set USB ports in the POTx section.
  1. POT1 & POT5 should be set as Type-c+switch (9), not as Type-C without switch (10).
  2. POT7& POT8 should be set as USB3 (3), not as USB2 (0)
  3. PO11 & PO12 should be set a Internal (255), not as USB2 (0)
  4. PO10 should be set as USB3 (3) not as USB2 (0)
You need to edit the USBMap.kext to correct these issues.
It was my first time using SSDTTime, so I probably messed up hahah.

I replaced my EFI with the one you sent, ran the USBMap utility - in Big Sur this time - and replaced the kext. Now I'm get the error find_symbol: magic number doesn't match - 0x180dc000 when trying to boot into Ventura. Big Sur still works.

I already tried recreating the install media by downloading the installer again with gibMacOS but no luck.

Thanks for the help so far.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 6

shnyaps

AMD OS X Member
Hi Edhawk, thanks for replying.

Yeah my mistake not mentioning that, between the time I took the video and made the thread I removed the npci argument and tested both with "Above 4G decoding" enabled and disabled, no change.

First time I see it as well, apparently it's related to Lilu but all kexts are updated and I don't see that message when booting into Big Sur.

It was my first time using SSDTTime, so I probably messed up hahah.

I replaced my EFI with the one you sent, ran the USBMap utility - in Big Sur this time - and replaced the kext. Now I'm get the error find_symbol: magic number doesn't match - 0x180dc000 when trying to boot into Ventura. Big Sur still works.

I already tried recreating the install media by downloading the installer again with gibMacOS but no luck.

Thanks for the help so far.
I hade such problem in Ventura with old AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement kext

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I'm currently running Big Sur without any major issues but when I try to boot into the Ventura install I get a kernel panic.

My specs are:
Motherboard: MSI B550m Bazooka
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
Storage: 2x WD Blue SN550 NVMe, 1x WD WD10EZEX, 1x SanDisk SSD PLUS, 1x Seagate ST1000DX002

Attached is my EFI and a video showing the kernel panic.
You'll only be able to install it with no NVMe or Ethernet support as it's an MSI B550 board. Add nvme=-1 to boot-args to be able to boot from a SATA drive.

DigitalCrazy

AMD OS X Member
I hade such problem in Ventura with old AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement kext
Apparently that was it, I downloaded the kext again an it worked. Thanks!

You'll only be able to install it with no NVMe or Ethernet support as it's an MSI B550 board. Add nvme=-1 to boot-args to be able to boot from a SATA drive.
That did it, thanks! However I'm stuck again, for some reason the installation doesn't see my SATA HDDs.
SATA is set to AHCI in bios and I tried using both SATA-unsupported.kext and CtlnaAHCIPort.kext. Neither made any difference.

Do you know if there there any fixes in the works for B550 MSI boards or should I look for a new mobo?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
SATA-unsupported.kext and CtlnaAHCIPort.kext are Intel based kexts, you need to use one the is AMD based. Or edit the info.plist in one of those two kexts to include your motherboard's SATA controller.

What does Hackintool > PCIe tab show in regards to your SATA controller?
Is the device id present in either kext?
If not, then you need to add it to one of the two kexts, you don't need both kexts.

Asus and Gigabyte motherboards seem to be the brands people have turned to having first purchased an MSI board. Choice is yours, struggle with the MSI 500 series board or replace with an Asus or Gigabyte board.

DigitalCrazy

AMD OS X Member
So I added CaseySJ's kernel patches to my EFI and was able to install Ventura.
Everything seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
So I added CaseySJ's kernel patches to my EFI and was able to install Ventura.
Everything seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Make sure to update the patch, it got updated, this should be the final one for a while.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.