I got a Ryzen 5 4600G!

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Picked it up earlier from Micro Centre!, including sticker, CPU fan and tax $92!. Why?, because NootedRed.kext has made some progress recently and I wanted my next build to be different!. In theory full acceleration in macOS should be 1900 MHz, will I see that frequency in the 'About This Mac' window?. I have a choice between a Gigabyte B450M DS3H WiFi and ASUS Prime A320I-K motherboard, the 320 has flaky Ethernet and no WiFi/BT but, does have a DP port. The 450 does have working Ethernet, WiFi and BT but, only one HDMI port!. I have attached EFI for the respective motherboards, they have the latest patches with SMBIOS set to iMacPro1,1. I also added SSDT-ALSO, SSDT-PNLF and the BrightnessKeys.kext from the NootedRed GitHub.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 2.07.04 AM.png
CPU Benchmark
Specifications

Attachments

• 320EFI.zip
    16.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 450EFI.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 2

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Picked it up earlier from Micro Centre!, including sticker, CPU fan and tax $92!. Why?, because NootedRed.kext has made some progress recently and I wanted my next build to be different!. In theory full acceleration in macOS should be 1900 MHz, will I see that frequency in the 'About This Mac' window?. I have a choice between a Gigabyte B450M DS3H WiFi and ASUS Prime A320I-K motherboard, the 320 has flaky Ethernet and no WiFi/BT but, does have a DP port. The 450 does have working Ethernet, WiFi and BT but, only one HDMI port!. I have attached EFI for the respective motherboards, they have the latest patches with SMBIOS set to iMacPro1,1. I also added SSDT-ALSO, SSDT-PNLF and the BrightnessKeys.kext from the NootedRed GitHub.

CPU Benchmark
Specifications
Have you even read the readme? PNLF and ALS0 are for brightness control on laptops. The iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS is also not recommended.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Have you even read the readme? PNLF and ALS0 are for brightness control on laptops. The iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS is also not recommended.
I read it twice!, I interpreted it as the two ssdt and screen brightness kext for keyboard brightness control. Am I missing something?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The two SSDST's are usually only needed on Laptops with built-in displays. I have never seen a Desktop system require either of those two SSDT's. As the separate display can be adjusted to provide the correct light levels etc.

Most of the people using NootedRed.kext will have AMD laptops, at least that is how I see it. They won't usually be people with a choice of using a discrete GPU or installing an AMD APU. You will be in the minority of people using this kext. So not all the Assets associated with NootedRed.kext will be required when the circumstances change, such as using a desktop APU.

Try running OpenCore without the two SSDT's.

I am not sure if the BrightnessKeys.kext will work on a Desktop system, but it shouldn't cause any major issues if it is added to the EFI and not used by the system.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Thanks for the heads up guys, and Bertie!. How about the keyboard brightness kext?, I could try I suppose. It’s not built yet btw, the APU is still in its box, 320 or 450?. But I definitely remove WhatEverGreen, correct?.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Thanks for the heads up guys, and Bertie!. How about the keyboard brightness kext?, I could try I suppose. It’s not built yet btw, the APU is still in its box, 320 or 450?. But I definitely remove WhatEverGreen, correct?.
Why would you use a kext that allows controlling of an internal display (LVDS or eDP connected) on a desktop? And yes, WhateverGreen needs to be removed.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Why would you use a kext that allows controlling of an internal display (LVDS or eDP connected) on a desktop? And yes, WhateverGreen needs to be removed.
I love your inspirational responses!. Any other insightful tips to get me started?. How will I know if have any kind of acceleration, is it displayed in the ‘About This Mac’?.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I love your inspirational responses!. Any other insightful tips to get me started?. How will I know if have any kind of acceleration, is it displayed in the ‘About This Mac’?.
Well, having the full VRAM show up in System Report means you have a framebuffer loaded, but with no accelerator (this happens in the install phases, it renders a few things like the cursor with the GPU instead of the CPU as when there's no GPU support at all, you have access to the monitor's full resolution and refresh rate, color profiles, etc, but there's still no 3D acceleration), and if the dock is transparent, the accelerator loaded too, which means GPU acceleration is working as it should.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Well, having the full VRAM show up in System Report means you have a framebuffer loaded, but with no accelerator (this happens in the install phases, it renders a few things like the cursor with the GPU instead of the CPU as when there's no GPU support at all, you have access to the monitor's full resolution and refresh rate, color profiles, etc, but there's still no 3D acceleration), and if the dock is transparent, the accelerator loaded too, which means GPU acceleration is working as it should.
Good to know, I appreciate your help. Next question!, downloading the NootedRed master, I assume I'm going to have to compile this in Xcode, is that right, use the Python scripts?.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Good to know, I appreciate your help. Next question!, downloading the NootedRed master, I assume I'm going to have to compile this in Xcode, is that right, use the Python scripts?.
GitHub Actions.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
How's this looking now?.Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.51.35 AM.png

Attachments

• 320EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 13

craighazan

Donator
Donator
It boots!. I think its working!

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 6.50.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 7.50.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 7.51.35 PM.png

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Congrats @craighazan! That's a great looking build! :D (y)

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.