Solved [Help] Restarting back to Windows during MacOS install

karmaPRN

AMD OS X Member
Problem: It keeps booting back to windows during MacOS install (after the initial USB.dmg install)
Longer problem: So I'm able to get to the USB installer, delete and reformat my NVME SSD ADATA SX8200PNP. I'm able to "Reinstall MacOS ventura" onto this hard drive. After it installs, it restarts and loads up my Win10 (on SATA WD blue). Then I try to reboot again from USB stick, then I'll choose the option "MacOS installer". Then it will install MacOS. Then when it restarts, then I'm back on windows again. Where should I look to next?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon RX 570 itx
Mobo: Gigabyte B550i itx mobo
Guides: Dortania Opencore

Attached will be my EFI, Debug Log. Let me know if there's anything I need to give ya'll.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you added your OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI partition on your macOS (ADATA) drive?

If not, then you need to mount the macOS's EFI partition and add the OC EFI to the partition.
This will allow you to boot from the macOS drive, it also provides an option in the Bios for you to select your EFI partition on the macOS drive as the Default/priority boot drive.

If yes, then enter your bios and select the UEFI partition on your ADATA drive as the default/priority boot drive.

karmaPRN

AMD OS X Member
Have you added your OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI partition on your macOS (ADATA) drive?
I have not. I just googled it and it brings me to the Post Install portion of Dortania. I have not gotten to that part yet since I was unable to get into homepage of Ventura. To clarify, I have not been able to get to the Welcome screen. Otherwise, I downloaded the mountefi and tried to run it (via windows) but nothing seems to be showing up.

I looked up another method via YouTube and it shows Mounting the EFI via MiniTool partition. And then opening the file via Explorer++. But the video does not show exactly how to put the EFI.

So for this part, would I just copy and paste my EFI (from USB) onto the newly mounted Drive via Explorerer? Then would I unplug the usb, reboot into bios, and look for the EFI?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Little point adding your EFI folder to the EFI partition if you haven't managed to boot in to Ventura.

Try booting with this revised EFI folder.

I have added an SSDT, a couple of Drivers and kexts and revised your config.plist to work with a B550 MB and 6-Core CPU.

See if this EFI lets you boot into Ventura.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.4 MB · Views: 3

karmaPRN

AMD OS X Member
See if this EFI lets you boot into Ventura.
Thank you for the hard work. Unfortunately, it's still a no-go! It's still booting back to default WinOS.

I can still get through the first install (usb drive.dmg), which resets back to windows. After rebooting back to bios to choose the booter, I'll click Mac OS, which then proceeds to install again. It'll have the apple logo and download bar "28 min...". But eventually, it'll restart and back to windows.

Do you have any idea what else I can do? Worst case scenario, I might start from scratch (this will be my 3rd). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @karmaPRN,

Check out my build here. I too have a Gigabyte B550 motherboard but mine is the Vision D, which is using a spoofed RX550 so the config is almost identical. I have already added your PlatformInfo & 6-core CPU details so it can be used right away.

The reason yours wasn't loading was because you didn't have a lot of the prerequisites. The B550 requires a handful of SSDTs and kexts to boot successfully, not just the SSDT-EC, but SSDT-CPUR, EC-USBX-DESKTOP (EC-USBX combined), SSDT-HPET, SSDT-PLUG, SBUS-MCHC as well as XHC SSDT x2 setup for the USB ports.

For your EFI I have enabled USBInjectAll by default and added (but not enabled) your UTBMap.kext & USBToolbox into EFI/OC/Kexts. If the config works after booting successfully into macOS you can disable USBInjectAll and just use your UTBMap & USBToolbox.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.2 MB · Views: 3

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
After the first reboot from the installer are you booting with the USB again? You'll need to boot with the USB again and boot "macOS Install" which is the second stage installer from your SSD. You'll need to use the USB to boot from until you've copied the EFI to the SSD and set it as the default boot device in the BIOS.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
@karmaPRN,

I should also let you know, make sure the SecureBootModel setting under Misc > Security is set to either Default or j160 MacPro7,1 to work on your setup.

karmaPRN

AMD OS X Member
Thanks everyone for the help. What my frivolous googling saw, there was two post that mentioned just switching the SSD. I ended up installing it on my Crucial (sorry not WD) SSD via SATA and it ended booting up correctly. Which is weird because another post had their ADATA SSD working. Thanks again everyone! I'm working on making the Bluetooth work and Sleep work.

TLDR: If first stage works and failing second stage, it might be SSD compatibility.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.