Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Hi All,

Am new here and introducing myself. I've not built an AMD based mac before, and only, recently, in, partially, succeeding in installing macOS Ventura on a Dell XPS 13 7390 laptop.

I believe my GPU is going to be my main stumbling block with my current hardware, and looking at the AMD GPU buying guide it appears an RX 6[89]00XT may be an option for a swap out, it doesn't appear that the newer 7000 range of cards are supported (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I am intending to use this system as my daily driver for work which would include mostly unix shell, virtualization (vmware) and docker. Are there any issues with the container/virtualization element on AMD based mac's?

In the meantime I'll be reading through the forums, and, hello to all, I'm really glad I found this forum!!

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
On a side note, is anyone running ZFS on their AMD based Mac's? I would be interested in giving that a go too, I have it running on my linux box, would be great to be able to import the pool into this workstation as well.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I think you may have issues running VM's on macOS Ventura, assuming you want to run the latest version of macOS. There are a few posts on this site regarding common VM software not working in Ventura. Possible solution in the thread linked below.

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
I think you may have issues running VM's on macOS Ventura, assuming you want to run the latest version of macOS. There are a few posts on this site regarding common VM software not working in Ventura. Possible solution in the thread linked below.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm not set on Ventura specifically, I have no preference here, it's my first foray with macOS, I just happened to be partially successful with Ventura on my laptop. My workstation is another animal altogether, would an older version be better, Monteray/Big Sur et al? Is VMware not supported on any distribution of macOS on AMD at all?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
VMWare works on Monterey and earlier versions of macOS. It only has issues in the most recent release Ventura.

So if you were to run Monterey, you would be fine, subject to changing your graphics card.

Regarding a replacement graphics card, the RX 6800 XT might be a better option cost and performance wise. See the AMD 6000 series comparison table below.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 20.21.33.png

Cards with a RED Line through them are not supported in macOS, in any way shape or form.

The 7000 series is not currently supported, and may never be supported in macOS.

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Excellent thank you for the info and help, I'll start the search to try and track down a reasonably price RX6800XT then, they still seem to be priced pretty high at the moment, need to brush off the google-fu to find a european price spy tool!

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Okay, managed to get my grubby paws on a used Powercolor RX 6900XT Ultimate, its going to take a week to get here, in the meantime is there anything anyone can suggest for where to get started, is there anything I can do in the meantime to prepare the Opencore EFI before the card arrives? I was reading around and it looks like I may need to play with SSDT/DSDT and USB specific stuff for my motherboard? I currently have Windows 11 on one of the SSD's, the second one is planned for macOS Monterey. Just wondering what I can do to get prepared before the card arrives. Any links for AMD/USB/SSDT/DSDT type stuff I may need to do that I can start reading up on, or is it just a matter of starting with the Dortania Opencore guide and work from there?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
USB specifics for an AMD system are covered in this section of the Dortania guide.

The port mapping can be undertaken in Windows, before the graphics card arrives.

Assuming you are using macOS to create your EFI.

For an EFI just follow the Dortania Ryzen guide using OpenCore 0.8.6 or 0.8.7:
Links to download OpenCore, OC GUI bootloader folder, AMD Kernel Patches, Corpnewt python scripts/tools, essential kexts and OC Auxiliary Tools (OCAT) are provided below
You might also want to collect a number of useful apps for when you have macOS installed.
Your Motherboard has 2 x Ethernet controllers.
  1. Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN - #1,607 ** Compact Version of Aquantia Driver Patches **
  2. Intel I211-AT - https://github.com/Shaneee/AppleIGB
Hope this helps.

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Wow, thanks for the info Edhawk, that was alot more information than what I was expecting :)

I'll be trying to create the EFI on my Windows machine,

I started the Dortania guide and am currently on the section "Gathering Files". I'll have a read through all the links you've posted there and circle back

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
OK, I've got to the part for SSDT's and the table for AMD 17/19h says that I need these two SSDT's:

SSDT-CPUR
SSDT-EC-USBX

The SSDT-CPUR appears to be precompiled for B550 and A520 motherboards however I have an X570 board, can I build this particular SSDT using SSDTTime? I dont see an option that jumps out at me in the menu to build this particular SSDT.

For the SSDT-EC-USBX I used the SSDTTime method which built the SSDT-EC.aml file to fake the embedded controller, but now it looks like I need to use the pre-compiled SSDT-USBX.aml file mentioned here. I presume that is okay, or is there a way I can compile the USB power SSDT with SSDTTime?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You only need the SSDT-EC-USBX table. The SSDT-CPUR is not used or required with your X570 motherboard.

Yes, you can use SSDTTime to generate an SSDT-USBX.aml table. The latest version of the script has that as option 4 in macOS.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 22.32.40.png SSDTTime options in macOS (may be different to Windows and Linux options).

The Generic SSDT-USBX.aml table would be fine, as it is a very simple ACPI table and doesn't change between motherboards/systems.

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Ahh okay, I see the USBX section there in SSDTime now on the windows version, I'll try with that first, and if I encounter issues I'll try the pre-compiled version. Thanks!

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
How are you doing with your build? I haven't really done any coding in a couple of years but I had to fire up docker to do some work. Works fine on Intel, how are you finding AMD?

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
How are you doing with your build? I haven't really done any coding in a couple of years but I had to fire up docker to do some work. Works fine on Intel, how are you finding AMD?
I've not had much time to proceed with this, I tried again today to see if I could get the usb boot key to boot, but it is still hanging/stallong just after activating the 12/24 core's of my cpu during the boot process. I think I need to revisit my drivers/kexts etc and verify I have all the settings set correctly befor trying again.

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
OK, I've managed to get Ventura installed now, using the EFI posted here as a starting point. I am having an issue with hardware acceleration with my Radeon RX 6900 XT. I had another look at the dortania guide and it looks like I have the XTXH variant of the 6900 XT GPU. Dortania guide says I can spoof the device id from 0x73af to 0x73bf which I did try to do following a guide I found here, but, still no luck. The hardware acceleration is just not working. Does anyone have any pointers I can try?

Any suggestions tips and/or tricks appreciated.

EDIT: Attached EFI if just in case it is required.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
I think I may've gotten a little further, but I don't know if I am doing the device-id spoofing correctly. The minimise and maximise operations are slightly better with this efi but still have a couple seconds worth of delay before performing the minimize/maximize. When looking at the system information after doing the device-id spoofing, is the device id supposed to show up the id of the spoofed value, for example, 0x73af being spoofed to 0x73bf. When I look at the system information for my rx 6900 xtxh it still show up as 0x73af, I'm trying to spoof it into being 0x73bf.

I'd appreciate any pointers if anyone has any further suggestions, I've attached the updated EFI and the output of gfxutil.

I'm trying to figure out how to snip a part of my screen to show the display info and the path in io-registry-explorer but having no luck at the moment.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
  • gfxutil.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 3

Asgaroth

AMD OS X Member
Whoohoo, got it working by using ssdttime and generating dsdt with a couple ssdt files. I just stepped through the menu items in ssdttime skipping ones that looked like they were meant for laptops. I'm not sure I've done the DSDT/SSDT generation 100% correct, as I had to do it in Windows, but I will save the EFI file here just for my own backup and if anyone else wants to take a look. I now have HW acceleration and The Geekbench metal test for GPU returns a score of 233068, not sure if that is what is expected of this card or not, but at least I have my 3 monitors working now and the minimize/maximize looks to be working as expected.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 17.39.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 17.39.18.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 9

xavierbaez

AMD OS X Member
@Asgaroth thanks so much man I have been looking for a person with the same motherboard that I have and on top of that you have the same Radeon graphic card. Just a question on your signature you still have the RTX 3090 graphic card.
Do you have 2 graphic cards and maybe use one for Windows, one for macOS?

I'll be trying your EFI now.
I have the last 3 different operating systems installed.

xavierbaez

AMD OS X Member
I tried your
EFI.1
EFI.2
EFI.3
This is what happens in all three of them
No boot progress bar stuck at 0%

I have this graphic card:
XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Black Gaming Graphics Card RX-69XTACBD9

Would you please tel me how to remove the stuff you added for the XTXH?

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    914.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.