Greetings! - ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I + Ryzen 9 7950X

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
Greetings everyone!

I want to thank the community for their hard work. I want to share with you how I got my PC running ( ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi with an AMD Ryzen™ 9 7950X - Cores 16 / Threads 32 ).

I downloaded the EFI attachment from this thread/post: ryzen-7000-testing / #656 and made an "offline" USB installer with Big Sur and tweaked a few settings in config.plist. So, special thanks to @CaseySJ and @ExtremeXT

So far the OS installs and runs. There are sound issues no WiFi and LAN/ethernet has to be patched/fixed for it to work.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I was torn between the Asus X670E-I and the Gene. Because I have the Asus Z690-I already, the AMD version would have allowed me to create a sibling system. But alas I chose the Gene because I preferred to avoid the “Hive”! ;)

On-board WiFi and Bluetooth module works properly when using the OpenIntelWireless drivers.

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
I was torn between the Asus X670E-I and the Gene. Because I have the Asus Z690-I already, the AMD version would have allowed me to create a sibling system. But alas I chose the Gene because I preferred to avoid the “Hive”! ;)

On-board WiFi and Bluetooth module works properly when using the OpenIntelWireless drivers.
Similar thing happened to me. And let me tell you, I believe you chose correctly. I have to deal/live with what I have "on board".

Thanks for sharing this info as well. However, my WiFi module is a MediaTek MT7922 Wi-Fi 6E. Probably there's a different module on the Gene. Sadly it won't work for me, I'm out of luck in that sense/part. If you have any suggestions to get around the WiFi please let me know.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
That is very odd! On my Asus ROG Strix Z690-I there is an Intel WiFi/BT module so I'm surprised that on the AM5 version of this board Asus chose a MediaTek module. Anyway, this module can be replaced. I am using a Fenvi BCM94360NG on my Asus Z690-I. This module is natively supported in macOS -- just plug-and-play!

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
That is very odd! On my Asus ROG Strix Z690-I there is an Intel WiFi/BT module so I'm surprised that on the AM5 version of this board Asus chose a MediaTek module. Anyway, this module can be replaced. I am using a Fenvi BCM94360NG on my Asus Z690-I. This module is natively supported in macOS -- just plug-and-play!
OMG YES! Thank for you letting me know! I didn't check the board thoroughly when I was assembling everything, although I would prefer to use a WiFi 6 module and apply necessary hacks. I will definitely look into that in order to replace the module.

Now I will just follow your thread for the sound issues, probably will try SpeedKeeper. Since I had issues booting Monterey, I will stick to Big Sur for a while I guess because my technical knowledge on these things is not there yet.

😀

EDIT:
WiFi Module is integrated on the board. Can't swap it out. I can, however, use/sacrifice one of the free M.2 NVME Slots there is on the board. (sad face)

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

EDIT:
WiFi Module is integrated on the board. Can't swap it out. I can, however, use/sacrifice one of the free M.2 NVME Slots there is on the board. (sad face)
Ouch!! They hardwired the WiFi/BT chip to the motherboard?? Are you still keeping the board? The ProArt X670E-Creator looks really really good. It’s ATX…

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
Ouch!! They hardwired the WiFi/BT chip to the motherboard?? Are you still keeping the board? The ProArt X670E-Creator looks really really good. It’s ATX…
I'm really moved into doing that. Also, I will have to get a new case, because for this ITX build I bought a Fractal Torrent Nano which sadly I can't return now. Honestly I never thought I had so much interest in running Hackintosh, but now it seems like I do. So I'll definitely check what my options are. Thank you for the suggestions as well.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
Does your GPU require any patching to run or does it work OOTB? I'm trying to buy a (cheap) GPU as a stand-in until the 7000 GPUs ship fm ATi
I didn't have to do anything (patching) "special", it was mostly CPU (cores) and USB (kexts) tweaking applied to the config.plist. Just did exactly as I posted in the OP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.