Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, 5900X, RX 6900 XT

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Most of the stuff here are transplanted from my previous build; ASRock's mobo died (probably too many hard-power-offs), I had this board on hand and here you go. I was planning this board for another build but I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it.

Currently running OpenCore 0.7.5 and Big Sur 11.6.1. I will attempt upgrade to Monterey after Apple publishes .2 and will have to see how will Ethernet behave. For the rest I have no worries.

Up-to-date EFI, as usual for my builds.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The board uses Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card. It's an amazing card but will never work properly in macOS. (OpenIntelWireless will never be proper solution).

Thus I moved over the combo below, which offers natively supported WiFi 5 / Bluetooth 4 and worked pretty well for me over the last year or so.

Combined with this riser cable, the card/adapter combo from above can be moved outside the motherboard I/O shroud, instead of existing card.

It took me some time to carefully open the I/O shroud on the card – you need to remove the backplate and unscrew several screws to lift the shroud. No need to completely remove, the existing card can be pulled out if you lift the shroud less than 1cm up.
I routed the riser cable out and over the whole length of the shroud then outside the case through one of the water-cooling openings at the back.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Board has Realtek 2.5GbE LAN chip which is covered with LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext

There are reports this may not work properly in Monterey, will see when I get to it.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am using BIOS version F12. It came with the board and I don't see much reason to upgrade except to use newer AMD CPU AGESA. That would be nice...but sleep / wake works perfectly now thus I am hesitant to upgrade since I've seen multiple reports of that breaking on newer BIOSes.

• Fast Boot: Disabled
  • CSM: Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding: Enabled
  • Resizable Bar Support: Enabled
  • PCIe slot speed: Auto
  • XMP Profile activated, uses 3200MHz speed, 1.35V

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I was able (after months of trying) to purchase AMD RX 6900 XT directly from AMD.com, for the MSRP price. At the moment, the build is running without WhateverGreen and also without any additional stuff – pure native.

And performance is amazing. For both CPU and GPU.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It's interesting to see the naming of the GPU device.

Code:
% ./gfxutil -f GFX0
DevicePath not found!

% ./gfxutil -f VGA
09:00.0 1002:73bf /PCI0@0/GPP8@3,1/SWUS@0/SWDS@0/VGA@0
= PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Not sure if this is what trips-up WhateverGreen, but...When I attempted to just include WEG in config.plist, boot process locks-up soon after Apple logo appears. I will need to run DEBUG builds to figure out what is happening, no time to do it now.

The consequence of not having WEG is that DRM is working half-assed. This is my coding machine so streaming DRM does not concern me. Netflix works in Safari, iTunes too, playing videos is hw-accelerated. But Plex player locks-up entire machine and TV+ streaming shows green screen.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Finally, USB ports.

I did not map anything here. I simply used USB-reset SSDT generated by SSDTTime in Windows and that's it. Added USBX SSDT to give proper power properties to ports.

All ports work just fine. There is no consequence on sleep/wake. I can't wake up the computer by tapping Bluetooth keyboard or mouse but I don't care. Press the power button on the case and it springs back to life – this is all I need.

I will probably map the ports at some point, I want to try Apfelnico's approach through all-in-SSDT-no-kext. Once there's less work to do.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thus in conclusion — this build works amazingly well for my needs.

I have 3600MHz memory sticks coming in which I plan to try and see how performance changes.

I also want to try running USB-C to DisplayPort cable, to see would be enable 4K 144Hz refresh rate, since macOS is crap regarding DSC in Display Port 1.4. Currently running 95Hz but without HDR or 60Hz HDR.

Other than that, no more changes planned.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I will probably map the ports at some point, I want to try Apfelnico's approach through all-in-SSDT-no-kext. Once there's less work to do.
His method is nice if the port definitions are in a separate SSDT which can be blocked. But on AMD those are in the DSDT which means you have to re-define all of the USB controllers.
In that case I find a USB map kext much simpler.

I have 3600MHz memory sticks coming in which I plan to try and see how performance changes.

I also want to try running USB-C to DisplayPort cable, to see would be enable 4K 144Hz refresh rate, since macOS is crap regarding DSC in Display Port 1.4. Currently running 95Hz but without HDR or 60Hz HDR.
Try the Ryzen DRAM calculator, I could get my 3600 from CL 18 to CL 16 (and tighten all other timings) just entering the values the tool calculated.

I don't think USB-C will make a difference here, since it is using the same DisplayPort 1.4 just on an alt mode.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
His method is nice if the port definitions are in a separate SSDT which can be blocked. But on AMD those are in the DSDT which means you have to re-define all of the USB controllers.
In that case I find a USB map kext much simpler.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I actually found someone's EFI where just that is done.

A while back, while learning how to edit SSDTs, I stumbled upon Maldon's post on InsanelyMac where he says that overriding entire DSDT is the best way for stability if you know what you are doing. That's a big if right there but he correctly points out that Apple's ACPI are really compact, having only what's needed for particular machine. Thus clearing out stuff present in general PC ACPI is worthwhile but requires a lot of knowledge.

Making kext is now pretty simple for me, using USBToolbox. Thus I already have it done but want to try doing the ACPI only way. I'll certainly need some SSDT renaming to kill-off existing map from DSDT.

Try the Ryzen DRAM calculator, I could get my 3600 from CL 18 to CL 16 (and tighten all other timings) just entering the values the tool calculated.
How long did it take you to do this..? I get a feeling it might take a while to test stability. I would hate it to crash while I'm on the verge of winning AoE II match. ;)

I don't think USB-C will make a difference here, since it is using the same DisplayPort 1.4 just on an alt mode.
Daaamn...that's probably correct but...the cable is coming hence will try anyway.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It took like half an hour or so.
Extract memory settings with Taiphoon burner, import it in DRAM calculator, setting some settings, make a screenshot of the recommended settings and send it to my iPad.
Then entering them in the BIOS, pray it boots and then run a memory heavy benchmark.

Overriding the complete DSDT is risky since you'd have to do it after every BIOS update. I catched ASRock once moving the SMBus in some BIOS updates on the X570 ITX/TB3.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The consequence of not having WEG is that DRM is working half-assed. This is my coding machine so streaming DRM does not concern me. Netflix works in Safari, iTunes too, playing videos is hw-accelerated. But Plex player locks-up entire machine and TV+ streaming shows green screen.
Added WEG 1.5.5, with boot argument agdpmod=pikera and all is good now.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Updated to OpenCore 0.7.7 and all the latest kexts.

Then updated to Monterey 12.2 (as you do, from System Preferences) - went all automatic, without asking me anything. Worked perfect. Ethernet works, had to try this given some chatter about possible issues. I am using 1.1 of LucyRTL kext.

DSC over DisplayPort is still broken in macOS 12.2 thus no 144Hz refresh rates.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.