gigabyte aorus x570 elite random lock-ups and multiple reboots on startup

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
hey all, i have a Gigabyte AORUS x570 elite running BigSur that has a few issues i haven't been able to lock down.

i get ocasional lockups randomly, not sure what's causing it. where can i look to see whats causing the issue.
i also have difficulty booting. system will restart several times before finally getting to the logon screen and even then sometimes right after login i might get a lockup or wierdness where finder doesn't load or i just get a black screen with a static mouse cursor. clearing NVRAM sometime helps.

i'm on OpenCore 0.7.1 currently. i had issues trying to update a while ago and found that this was the most stable for me at the time. i have updated whatever drivers i could tho.
i'm also unsure what BIOS entries should be set for. i cannot find a list or guide for my mobo specifically so i've pieced together what i could.

hardware:
CPUID CPU Name AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Motherboard Name Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite on BIOS F33g (i think)
GPU Code Name Navi 10 XT - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
Realtek ALC1200 / ALC S1200A / ALC S1220A @ AMD K17.7 - High Definition Audio Controller
Fenvi Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection

MacOS Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Win Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
2TB HDD

BIOS setting notes ( i will try to get better settings)
AMD BIOS Settings
#Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM)(Must be off, GPU errors like gIO are common when this option in enabled)
#Enable
* Above 4G decoding(This must be on, if you can't find the option then add npci=0x2000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time.)
* If you are on a Gigabyte/Aorus or an AsRock motherboard, enabling this option may break certain drivers(ie. Ethernet) and/or boot failures on other OSes, if it does happen then disable this option and opt for npci instead
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

attached is EFI

Attachments

• EFI 0.7.1.zip
    13.1 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to look at the following issues:
  1. You are using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS data, MacPro7,1 SMBIOS might be a better match with your setup.
  2. RestrictEvents.kext helps MacPro7,1 SMBIOS with memory and CPU name, not iMacPro1,1 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS systems.
  3. You have a few common options for an AMD system set as false in your config.plist.
  4. You are using the old AMD patches, the newer patches are better and more specific for your 8-core CPU.
I have attached a revised EFI below. I have made a few changes, not all that you need to undertake but enough I think to stop the reboots .

USBMap.kext
  1. Your USBMap.kext contains 10 x ports set as Type-C (9). Your motherboard doesn't have any physical Type-C ports on the rear and only has the one Type-E header on the motherboard, which would serve any Type-C case front ports you have.
  2. You only have 2 x ports set as USB2 physical connector type (0), when your motherboard has 4 physical USB2 ports on the back plate.
  3. Your USBMap.kext needs to be edited to correct the above mistakes.
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 20.26.59.png Back plate showing 4 x USB2 and 6 x USB3 ports.

There are 16 USB ports available from the back plate ports. The USB3 ports have a physical port and a virtual USB2 port.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 20.27.17.png Motherboard layout showing 2 x USB2, 2 x USB3 and 1 xType-E headers.

Each USB2 header can provide 2 x USB2 ports, all 4 x ports should be set with the 'Internal' connector type (255), if used.
Each USB3 header can provide 4 x USB ports (2 x USB3 and 2 x USB virtual ports) all 8 x ports should be set as USB3, if used.
The Type-E header can provide 1 x Type-C port on the case front. This will have a physical Type-C port and a virtual USB2 port. Both should be set as Type-C, which type-c connector depends on how the port works. See the table below for clarification on the two Type-C connectors.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 20.40.08.png USB connector type table.

You might have to remove the USBMap.kext from the revised EFI and config.plist and undertake the USB port discovery again in Corpnewt's USBMap script.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    13 MB · Views: 13

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
You need to look at the following issues:
  1. You are using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS data, MacPro7,1 SMBIOS might be a better match with your setup.
  2. RestrictEvents.kext helps MacPro7,1 SMBIOS with memory and CPU name, not iMacPro1,1 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS systems.
  3. You have a few common options for an AMD system set as false in your config.plist.
  4. You are using the old AMD patches, the newer patches are better and more specific for your 8-core CPU.
I have attached a revised EFI below. I have made a few changes, not all that you need to undertake but enough I think to stop the reboots .

USBMap.kext
  1. Your USBMap.kext contains 10 x ports set as Type-C (9). Your motherboard doesn't have any physical Type-C ports on the rear and only has the one Type-E header on the motherboard, which would serve any Type-C case front ports you have.
  2. You only have 2 x ports set as USB2 physical connector type (0), when your motherboard has 4 physical USB2 ports on the back plate.
  3. Your USBMap.kext needs to be edited to correct the above mistakes.
View attachment 6880 Back plate showing 4 x USB2 and 6 x USB3 ports.

There are 16 USB ports available from the back plate ports. The USB3 ports have a physical port and a virtual USB2 port.

View attachment 6881 Motherboard layout showing 2 x USB2, 2 x USB3 and 1 xType-E headers.

Each USB2 header can provide 2 x USB2 ports, all 4 x ports should be set with the 'Internal' connector type (255), if used.
Each USB3 header can provide 4 x USB ports (2 x USB3 and 2 x USB virtual ports) all 8 x ports should be set as USB3, if used.
The Type-E header can provide 1 x Type-C port on the case front. This will have a physical Type-C port and a virtual USB2 port. Both should be set as Type-C, which type-c connector depends on how the port works. See the table below for clarification on the two Type-C connectors.

View attachment 6882 USB connector type table.

You might have to remove the USBMap.kext from the revised EFI and config.plist and undertake the USB port discovery again in Corpnewt's USBMap script.
thank you so much, i'll take a look at it after work!

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with USB mapping. All USB headers and ports (and connected devices) work without issue for me without doing anything.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with USB mapping. All USB headers and ports (and connected devices) work without issue for me without doing anything.
Ok, but are sure you have the correct speed at each connector ?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
This is bad advice.

Do what is recommend in the guides, configure the USB ports correctly.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
This is bad advice.

Do what is recommend in the guides, configure the USB ports correctly.
so its been a week or so. i've done the following:

changed over to MacPro (2019) model
swapped in the config.plist you kindly provided me

i haven't had a chance to try to USB map again yet.

things are kind of the same. i still get issues booting where it will just restart during boot process. im also getting issues where programs (safari, mail, terminal and other non-embedded apps) will fail to load ('X quit unexpectedly' error) and give me a crash. on a second attempt to launch them i get a terminal window that opens with some code running and the program will crash again, see image attached.

error.jpg'

should i be looking to update opencore as well?

mean time i'm gonna investigate the newer amd patches and try to get a proper USB map setup. i have windows 10 running fine on a second SSD and i've use one of the usb mapper scripts before but i guess i didn't do it quite right so i'll seek out a more comprehensive guide and try again.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
USB mapping in windows 10 reveals the following. i hope i did this right...

AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 8 ports
Port 1 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A rear E (same as port 5) in 2.0 mode (letters assigned to ports are based on the manual)
Port 2 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D top2 (same as port 6) in 2.0 mode
Port 3 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D top (same as port 7) in 2.0 mode
Port 4 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D bottom (same as port 8) in 2.0 mode
Port 5 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear E bottom usb 3.2 gen 1 port (white/q-flash port)
Port 6 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D top2 usb 3.2 gen 1 port
Port 7 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D top usb 3.2 gen 1 port
Port 8 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear D bottom usb 3.2 gen 1 port
AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 10 ports
Port 1 | USB 2.0 | Internal (guessed) X
Port 2 | USB 2.0 | Type A front mem card reader type a port 2.0
Port 3 | USB 2.0 | Type A front panel left 2.0
Port 4 | USB 2.0 | Type A front panel right 2.0
Port 5 | USB 2.0 | Type C (never saw it, unused internal?)
Port 6 | USB 2.0 | Fenvi Bluetooth runs off here
- USB2.0 Hub - operating at USB 2.0
- BRCM20702 Hub - operating at USB 1.1
- Bluetooth USB Host Controller - operating at USB 1.1
Port 7 | USB 3.0 | Memory Card Reader i assume, i have a 5.25 bay with a USB 3.0 type A and a USB C with a memory card multi reader (it was always just USB storage)
- USB Storage - operating at USB 3.0
Port 8 | USB 3.0 | Type A front mem card reader type A port 3.0
Port 9 | USB 3.0 | Type A front left 3.0
Port 10 | USB 3.0 | Type A front right 3.0
AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 10 ports
Port 1 | USB 2.0 | USB 2.0 Type A rear G top (same as port 7)
Port 2 | USB 2.0 | USB 2.0 Type A rear G bottom (same as port 8)
Port 3 | USB 2.0 | USB 2.0 Type A rear 4 port hub?, all four rear 2.0 ports live here
Port 4 | USB 2.0 | RGB controller for mobo according to google? i don't use it...
- ITE Device(8595) - operating at USB 1.1 -
Port 5 | USB 2.0 | Type C 2.0 mode front mem card reader usb-C port in 2.0 mode
Port 6 | USB 2.0 | Internal (never saw it, unused internal?)
Port 7 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear port G top USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A Port (Red)
Port 8 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A rear port G bottom USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A Port (Red)
Port 9 | USB 3.0 | Type C front mem card reader usb-C port 3.1 right side up
Port 10 | USB 3.0 | Type C - with switch front mem card reader usb-C port 3.1 right side down

so i setup the mapping as follows:
####################################################### # Select Ports and Build Kext # ####################################################### AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 8/8 ports [#] 1. Port 1 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 5 Rear E 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 2. Port 2 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 6 Rear D Top2 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 3. Port 3 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 7 Rear D Top 2.0 [#] 4. Port 4 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 8 Rear D Botm 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 5. Port 5 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 1 Rear E 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 6. Port 6 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 2 Rear D Top2 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 7. Port 7 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 3 Rear D Top 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 8. Port 8 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 4 Rear D Botm 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 8/10 ports [ ] 9. Port 1 | USB 2.0 | Internal (guessed) [#] 10. Port 2 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A Media Hub 3 Type A @ 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 11. Port 3 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A Front Left 3 Type A @ 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 - HP LaserJet 1020 - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 12. Port 4 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A Front Right 3 Type A @ 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [ ] 13. Port 5 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 15 [#] 14. Port 6 | USB 2.0 | Internal | Companion to 17 Internal Bluetooth - USB2.0 Hub - operating at USB 2.0 - BRCM20702 Hub - operating at USB 1.1 - Bluetooth USB Host Controller - operating at USB 1.1 [#] 15. Port 7 | USB 3.0 | Internal | Companion to 13 unknown internal storage - USB Storage - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 16. Port 8 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 13 Media Hub 3 Type A @ 3.0 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 17. Port 9 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 14 Front Left 3 Type A @ 3.0 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 18. Port 10 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 14 Front Right 3 Type A @ 3.0 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) | USB 3.0 (XHCI) | 8/10 ports [#] 19. Port 1 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 28 Rear G Top @ 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 20. Port 2 | USB 2.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 27 Rear G Botm @ 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [#] 21. Port 3 | USB 2.0 | Type A | Companion to 26 Rear USB2.0 Hub - USB2.0 Hub - operating at USB 2.0 - Keychron K1 - operating at USB 1.1 - Razer Basilisk V2 - operating at USB 1.1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 2.0 - Cruzer Force - operating at USB 2.0 [ ] 22. Port 4 | USB 2.0 | Internal | Companion to 25 - ITE Device(8595) - operating at USB 1.1 [#] 23. Port 5 | USB 2.0 | Type C - USB 2 only Media Hub Type C @ 2.0 - AirPod Case - operating at USB 1.1 - iPhone - operating at USB 2.0 - USB Input Device - operating at USB 1.1 - Macropad RP2040 - operating at USB 1.1 - Pro Controller - operating at USB 1.1 - Wireless Controller - operating at USB 2.0 - USB2.0 Hub - operating at USB 2.0 - USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - operating at USB 1.1 [ ] 24. Port 6 | USB 2.0 | Internal (guessed) [#] 25. Port 7 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 22 Rear G Top 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 26. Port 8 | USB 3.0 | USB 3 Type A | Companion to 21 Rear G Botm 3.2G1 - PenDrive - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 27. Port 9 | USB 3.0 | Type C - without switch | Companion to 20 Media Hub Type C @ 3.0 UP - USB3.1 Hub - operating at USB 3.0 [#] 28. Port 10 | USB 3.0 | Type C - without switch | Companion to 19 Media Hub Type C @ 3.0 DOWN - USB3.1 Hub - operating at USB 3.0

Attachments

• UTBMap.kext.7z
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
i don't know what happend but my 0.7.1 build on the nvme won't start up any longer. i get repeating errors over and over again (didn't grab an image yet). i can still get into windows and have my macbook pro tho so im not stranded.

so now trying to get an 0.8.3 config working on a usb stick. i can get to the opencore picker for what disk to boot, i pick the install macos big sur and then it hangs on me. not sure if its the custom usb mapping or not.

every time i try to get this damned AMD system running smoothly (fix a crash, update opencore) it just bites me in the ass... wondering if i should ditch this gigabyte board and go for something else. seems to be a lot more ASUS success stories on here.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
i don't know what happend but my 0.7.1 build on the nvme won't start up any longer. i get repeating errors over and over again (didn't grab an image yet). i can still get into windows and have my macbook pro tho so im not stranded.

so now trying to get an 0.8.3 config working on a usb stick. i can get to the opencore picker for what disk to boot, i pick the install macos big sur and then it hangs on me. not sure if its the custom usb mapping or not.

every time i try to get this damned AMD system running smoothly (fix a crash, update opencore) it just bites me in the ass... wondering if i should ditch this gigabyte board and go for something else. seems to be a lot more ASUS success stories on here.
If it helps you can have a look at my Gigabyte B550 Vision D EFI build here which is for 500 series motherboards > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

You will need to adjust for the CPU cores under the Kernel > Patches section. Other than that it should be fully working with the latest Monterey.
There are new changes made to Monterey which means that in order to boot into 12.3+ you must have at least OC 0.7.4 installed.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.