End SetConsoleMode

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Hey y’all, I have an OpenCore USB set up and ready to install High Sierra, but whenever I select the High Sierra BaseSystem dmg in OpenCore, I encounter a message that reads End SetConsoleMode and the installation freezes. Any idea what’s going on? I’ve searched around for a solution, but nothing reliable so far. I can provide any additional information as needed. Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your OC EFI.

Confirm the specification for your AMD system, i.e. CPU, Motherboard and Graphics card. So we can see what you are missing or requiring to get it booting macOS.

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Sure, thanks! I'll attach my EFI folder below.
As for what my hardware is, I have the following:
  • CPU: AMD FX 8350
  • Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M Plus/USB3
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
Due to the age of the motherboard, I'm having to use DuetPkg for the legacy BIOS.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 4

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the quick response!

That's weird, I thought for sure I had added the patches and enabled those flags. I'll do it again for a sanity check and report back.

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Rats, no luck. Made sure to add in the patches and enable the two flags, still met with the End SetConsoleMode message.

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Here's the new EFI file with the changes made.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have a look at the FX-EFI attached below, which I use on a similar AMD system - FX-8350, Asus Sabertooth 990-FX. It is not based on the latest OC release, but it works in older AMD systems up to and including Big Sur.

I have added the Serial Number etc, from your EFI to the one attached, along with the APFS MinDate and Min Version entries for High Sierra, so you can try this EFI on your system.

Just rename the folder to EFI and see if this helps.

Attachments

• FX-EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Hmm, no luck with that EFI folder setup. The computer won't open to the OpenCore picker now.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry I forgot you are using a system that requires the Legacy Boot Mode not UEFI.

I'll amend the EFI and post a revised folder shortly.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is a folder containing the EFI, and the Boot file required so your system can boot to the OC boot screen.

You need to copy the EFI folder AND the 'boot' file to the EFI partition on your USB installer, for the system to boot to OC.

Attachments

• Legacy Boot EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 7

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, now I'm getting a BOOT MISMATCH! BOOT FAIL! error.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Possibly due to me leaving SecureBootModel as Default. I have changed it to Disabled, see if that helps.

That is the only change in the attached 'Legacy Boot EFI-2' folder.

Attachments

• Legacy Boot EFI -2.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 8

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Hmm, I'm still running into the BOOT MISMATCH! BOOT FAIL! messages with the updated EFI folder.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok, there are a few other options that can cause this boot issue. I will have to look in to the possible solutions and get back to you. Probably tomorrow.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Just checking that you copied the Boot file and OC EFI folder to the Root of your EFI partition on the USB installer drive. That is, you didn't copy the 'Legacy Boot EFI' folder as is to the root of the EFI partition on the USB installation drive. The later would prevent the system finding the OpenCore.efi when the system boots.

The Boot file and OC EFI folder need to be as shown in the screenshot below, not contained within any other folders, see second screenshot

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 22.13.26.png Correct EFI Partition structure

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 22.16.58.png Incorrect EFI Partition structure

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for checking on that. But yeah, the folder structure looks correct to me, at least based on what I'm following in the Dortania guide for legacy systems.
1687451431937.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.