DRM on Ryzentosh does not work without WEG??

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Hello.. :)

I have a doubt with DRM in Ventura,,

I have several hackintosh at home, in an intel alder lake, the DRM works perfectly with SMBios MacPro7,1 without using WEG or agdpmod=pikera or unfairgva=1

But on 3 ryzentosh, with the same GPU ( rx6800xt ) and SMBios MacPro7,1 if I don't use:

-WEG
-agdpmod=pikera
-unfairgva=1

AppleTV and Amazon Prime video don't work...

The Ryzentosh work perfectly without them, even Netflix on safari works, but AppleTV and Amazon Prime video and Disney + do not

What can be the cause?? being AMD the CPU??

Do those applications work for you without WEG/agdpmod=1/unfairgva=1???

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hello.. :)

I have a doubt with DRM in Ventura,,

I have several hackintosh at home, in an intel alder lake, the DRM works perfectly with SMBios MacPro7,1 without using WEG or agdpmod=pikera or unfairgva=1

But on 3 ryzentosh, with the same GPU ( rx6800xt ) and SMBios MacPro7,1 if I don't use:

-WEG
-agdpmod=pikera
-unfairgva=1

AppleTV and Amazon Prime video don't work...

The Ryzentosh work perfectly without them, even Netflix on safari works, but AppleTV and Amazon Prime video and Disney + do not

What can be the cause?? being AMD the CPU??

Do those applications work for you without WEG/agdpmod=1/unfairgva=1???

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Hi PoMpIs,

Looking at it, I believe the cause maybe to do with the AVX-512, which is actually a bunch of separate instruction sets. Etorix has mentioned before that macOS (in order to boot) looks for AVX512 or AVX2 support depending on the chip and SMBIOS used - AVX512 only seems to matter if you use MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. And Alder Lake has AVX512 built-in (ones released before January 2022) which is why DRM works for you. Since Ryzen 5000 series (Zen 3) or less doesn't have AVX512, WEG has to be there to provide the support. In any case, I have heard support for Nvidia and other media-related drivers have been further reduced (taken out) by Apple under Ventura, as well as kext driver support. That is why on some of the installs for older Nvidia cards OCLP is required. Afaik Drobo the storage company is struggling right now to provide support on Ventura because Apple took out the kext load feature which is what their driver is built on (or so I heard). It actually started in Monterey 12.3 when Apple removed support for Dropbox and Microsoft's OneDrive kexts.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Hi PoMpIs,

Looking at it, I believe the cause maybe to do with the AVX-512, which is actually a bunch of separate instruction sets. Etorix has mentioned before that macOS (in order to boot) looks for AVX512 or AVX2 support depending on the chip and SMBIOS used - AVX512 only seems to matter if you use MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. And Alder Lake has AVX512 built-in (ones released before January 2022) which is why DRM works for you. Since Ryzen 5000 series (Zen 3) or less doesn't have AVX512, WEG has to be there to provide the support. In any case, I have heard support for Nvidia and other media-related drivers have been further reduced (taken out) by Apple under Ventura, as well as kext driver support. That is why on some of the installs for older Nvidia cards OCLP is required. Afaik Drobo the storage company is struggling right now to provide support on Ventura because Apple took out the kext load feature which is what their driver is built on (or so I heard). It actually started in Monterey 12.3 when Apple removed support for Dropbox and Microsoft's OneDrive kexts.

Uuufff!! Valuable information, thank you very much. 🤗

I imagined the issue of AVX instructions, my Alder Lake has them activated AVX512 by default in the bios...

The equipment that I am testing now in Ventura beta 6 is a Ryzen 5900x together with an Asus B550E Gaming Wifi board..

The truth is that it works very well, but it shocked me that intel has DRM without WEG or boot-args, and in these AMD it needs them

But with WEG and boot-args the Ryzentosh works fine...

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-02 a las 2.33.11.png

let's see what happens with the Ryzen 7000, I plan to buy a 7950x and try it in Ventura :D

Thank you very much Middleman.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Uuufff!! Valuable information, thank you very much. 🤗

I imagined the issue of AVX instructions, my Alder Lake has them activated AVX512 by default in the bios...

The equipment that I am testing now in Ventura beta 6 is a Ryzen 5900x together with an Asus B550E Gaming Wifi board..

The truth is that it works very well, but it shocked me that intel has DRM without WEG or boot-args, and in these AMD it needs them

But with WEG and boot-args the Ryzentosh works fine...

View attachment 7063

let's see what happens with the Ryzen 7000, I plan to buy a 7950x and try it in Ventura :D

Thank you very much Middleman.
I see! Well I’d be interested too! Let us know when you do get the 7950X would be great to see how it fairs against the 5900X.

You’re welcome PoMpIs!

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
I see! Well I’d be interested too! Let us know when you do get the 7950X would be great to see how it fairs against the 5900X.

You’re welcome PoMpIs!
Thank you very much 😄

I think they go on sale on the 27th of this month, as soon as they are on sale here in Spain I buy an x670e and a 7950x, I really want to try one.

The ryzen 7000 already have AVX512... maybe they work even better on MacOS than the Ryzen 5000 😁

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.