Solved Boot loop after upgrading to 11.7

Juan Pedro Jose

AMD OS X Member
Got a boot loop after installing the 11.7 upgrade.
Here is log for normal boot
normal-boot.jpeg

And here is for my recovery partition boot:
recovery-boot.jpeg

OC 0.8.0, if I recall correctly.
AMD Ryzen 5600X
MSI Mortar B550
Sapphire RX580 Nitro+

config.plist attached

Big Sur 11.6 worked just fine

Attachments

• config.plist
    40.8 KB · Views: 2

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Got a boot loop after installing the 11.7 upgrade.
Here is log for normal boot
View attachment 7188

And here is for my recovery partition boot:
View attachment 7189

OC 0.8.0, if I recall correctly.
AMD Ryzen 5600X
MSI Mortar B550
Sapphire RX580 Nitro+

config.plist attached

Big Sur 11.6 worked just fine
Try to upgrade the OC to 0.8.4. not forgetting your core kexts (Lilu, Whatevergreen, VirtualSMC, AppleALC). They should have a fix for this.

Juan Pedro Jose

AMD OS X Member

Middleman

Unfortunately for me, after updating OC and kexts the result is absolutely the same.

UPDATE
After upgrading the bios problem was gone.
Not sure was that updating OC+kexts or the firmware update did the job, but still things went back to normal.

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

Middleman

Unfortunately for me, after updating OC and kexts the result is absolutely the same.

UPDATE
After upgrading the bios problem was gone.
Not sure was that updating OC+kexts or the firmware update did the job, but still things went back to normal.

Glad to hear it's been sorted. As to how they work it depends. Settings in older firmware sometimes may affect how things run (especially earlier versions where some data fields/settings haven't been fully defined by the manufacturer) hence the need to perform an update. But it's a double-edged sword at times. You upgrade the BIOS to gain new functions like new CPU support but at the expense of losing others (such as inability to downgrade firmware).

Juan Pedro Jose

AMD OS X Member
I was hoping that the new BIOS update for my MSI B550 board would allow me to install Monterey but nope, same "AppleNVME assert failed" as before :D

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I was hoping that the new BIOS update for my MSI B550 board would allow me to install Monterey but nope, same "AppleNVME assert failed" as before :D
Try to add NVMEFix.kext to your kext list. Failing that there is a NVMe driver under the OC/Drivers listing in the release package.

Juan Pedro Jose

AMD OS X Member
Already have it in added, the problem is the same as for others MSI boards.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Already have it in added, the problem is the same as for others MSI boards.
Okay, try and make sure ReleaseUSBOwnership is checked under UEFI and also make sure CSM is disabled in the BIOS.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
UnblockFsConnect is also another useful quirk to enable under UEFI. You may also need to enable ThirdPartyDrives under Kernel > Quirks

Juan Pedro Jose

AMD OS X Member
None of the above worked, kernel panic with AppleNVMeAssertFailed when Monterey MacOS Installer boots.
Anyway, thanks for the help, @Middleman but this is subject for another topic.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
None of the above worked, kernel panic with AppleNVMeAssertFailed when Monterey MacOS Installer boots.
Anyway, thanks for the help, @Middleman but this is subject for another topic.
Did you run ResetNVRAM AFTER you made all of the changes to the EFI using the settings I mentioned?
As they are supposed to work (and yes ReleaseUSBOwnership should have fixed it).

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.