B550m-5800x Memory panic with both NootRX.kext and Whatevergreen.kext

b550m6650Xt5800x

AMD OS X Member
I have made 2 separate EFI's attempting to install Sonoma onto my b550m aorus elite ax paired with Ryzen 5800x and 6650 XT GPU. One EFI contains NootRX.kext and the other uses whatevergreen.kext to get graphics working but both EFI's panic before reaching the installer :cry: I have pictures of the bootlog attached. Both EFI's seem to panic at the same spot... I have updated my bios and configured it according to the dortania section on AMD cpu's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are my kernel patches correct for my cpu? Not worried about serials as I will generate new ones. 1000358903.jpeg1000358901.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatevergreenEFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • NootRXEFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to remove the DeviceProperties for the RX 6650 XT GPU from the NootRX EFI config.plist. NootRX.kext won't work with any DeviceProperties present in the config.plist.

You may need to create an SSDT-dGPU-SPOOF.aml table to spoof the Device-ID for the RX 6650 XT. instead of using the DeviceProperties option. However, I am not sure if this SSDT is required.

You may need to disable NootRX.kext during the installation phase. It can be enabled after macOS has been installed.

You should add RestrictEvents.kext to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist, for both EFI's. As it helps systems using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

You should replace SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table with the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml table attached below. If you don't want or can't generate the custom SSDT's listed at the bottom of this post.

This is a screenshot showing the EFI contents from my ASUS TUF B550M system. See how it compares to your NootRX EFI, it might give you a few ideas as to how you could improve your EFI folders.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 18.26.22.png Finder view of EFI-B550M folder contents

The SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-HPET.aml, SSDT-USBX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml were all generated from the system DSDT.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. This works in Windows and MacOS so you can generate these custom SSDT's and their accompanying ACPI Patches for your system.

Attachments

• SSDT-EC-USBX.aml.zip
    1,019 bytes · Views: 10

b550m6650Xt5800x

AMD OS X Member
You need to remove the DeviceProperties for the RX 6650 XT GPU from the NootRX EFI config.plist. NootRX.kext won't work with any DeviceProperties present in the config.plist.

You may need to create an SSDT-dGPU-SPOOF.aml table to spoof the Device-ID for the RX 6650 XT. instead of using the DeviceProperties option. However, I am not sure if this SSDT is required.

You may need to disable NootRX.kext during the installation phase. It can be enabled after macOS has been installed.

You should add RestrictEvents.kext to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist, for both EFI's. As it helps systems using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

You should replace SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table with the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml table attached below. If you don't want or can't generate the custom SSDT's listed at the bottom of this post.

This is a screenshot showing the EFI contents from my ASUS TUF B550M system. See how it compares to your NootRX EFI, it might give you a few ideas as to how you could improve your EFI folders.

View attachment 12682 Finder view of EFI-B550M folder contents

The SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-HPET.aml, SSDT-USBX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml were all generated from the system DSDT.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. This works in Windows and MacOS so you can generate these custom SSDT's and their accompanying ACPI Patches for your system.
I did everything stated in this post. My device properties were commented out with a # so they were invalid but I deleted them from the config entirely and no change... still panics at the same spot. I also added RestrictEvents kext and replaced SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop with SSDT-EC-USBX but it still panics at the exact same spot... I am going to add the aml file from my 9700k build with 6650xt and see if that changes anything but I am not to hopeful... I am STUMPED. Honestly willing to throw $ to whoever can get me setup lmao

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You will need to edit the aml file from your Intel system, as the card won't be using the same Device Path or IOName. The AMD system will use a different Device Path/IOName for the RX 6650 XT. So this needs to be incorporated in to the edited SSDT.

You can see the Device Path in Windows.
  1. Open Device Manager
  2. Open RX 6650 XT Properties
  3. Navigate to the Details tab - look for the Location Path or BIOS Device Name.
I am sure you have done this before when using the card in an Intel system.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Give this a go.

Also as Edhawk has said

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 5

b550m6650Xt5800x

AMD OS X Member
The EFI you posted @Shaneee does not get to the boot picker, just reboots the system. I created the GPU Rename .aml file/patch and have attached it. No change in the kernel/memory panic. Still panics at the exact same spot... I have taken a new snapshot of my config.plist with propertree to add the .aml file to ACPI along with attempting to disable NootRX.kext to get me to the installer screen but still no change.... Both the Whatevergreen EFI and the EFI containing NootRX.kext with all whatevergreen bootflags removed from the config.plist panic at the exact same spot. I was thinking it was possibly my bios but I double checked everything according to the dortania guide and it's all properly configured.... I am going to try adding SSDT-CPUR.aml to see if that changes anything. It's driving me nuts. Location paths from Windows attached along with the .aml file and 2 EFI folders. The device properties in the NootRX EFI are commented out/made invalid with a #.

Attachments

• 6650aml.zip
    910 bytes · Views: 1
  • Location Paths.png
    Location Paths.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 5
  • NootRXEFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 7
  • WhatevergreenEFI.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I thought you already had SSDT-CPUR.aml present and enabled in your 2 x EFI folders. This is a pre-requisite for any B550 motherboard.

b550m6650Xt5800x

AMD OS X Member
I thought you already had SSDT-CPUR.aml present and enabled in your 2 x EFI folders. This is a pre-requisite for any B550 motherboard.
I did not. I will update back tmw once I have the chance to add it to my EFI

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Remove the 6650XT-DSDT.aml table, you shouldn’t need any additional ACPI tables for your dGPU to work.

b550m6650Xt5800x

AMD OS X Member
PXL_20231207_043933751.jpg

I made it through the first part of the installer + rebooted to 2nd stage. This EFI is using whatevergreen + device properties patched and had full acceleration in the installer. Everything was smooth so far 🤞. Thx for all help

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.