ASUS ROG X670E-I | Ryzen 9 7950X | Radeon RX 6950 XT | MacOS Ventura

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
After some delays on the CPU arriving I was finally able to get my Mini-ITX AM5 system up and running earlier this week, and tonight I was able to use software update to upgrade it to Ventura 13.1.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 9.03.10 PM.png

Components:
Motherboard: Asus ROG X670E-I Gaming Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7650X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT, device ID spoofed to RX 6900 XT (details below)
SSD: WD Black SN 850X 2TB for MacOS, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB for Windows 11
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR5 5600 MHz
Networking: MediaTek Wifi/Bluetooth replaced with Broadcom BCM94360NG
SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

The Build:
I don't think I have too much to say about the process- everything was pretty smooth and normal as far as Mini-ITX boards go. I have not had the time to put everything back together, so the Windows 11 SSD hasn't been reinstalled for dual booting and the actual case this system is going in has not arrived yet, so no pics of the finished system available yet. However, one thing that I did want to warn potential users of this board about was the Wifi/Bluetooth card swap. I wanted to reuse the BCM94360NG card from my previous system, since I've always had great performance with it. Removing all the I/O shielding/plastic shroud stuff on the motherboard was super simple, probably the easiest of all the ITX boards I've used. Once it's uncovered, the housing of the networking card has something stuck onto it with adhesive, with a ribbon cable of some sort also wrapped around it. I have a theory on what it is, but I'm no expert so I don't want to speculate too much haha. Anyway, just be very careful as you pry it off the networking card housing. Below is what it looks like once you remove the stuck on bits, unscrew the housing, and remove the networking card/housing. Hopefully this is helpful to someone! Just be careful and it'll be fine!

IMG_1647.jpeg

On to the EFI creation process:
As suggested in the 'Ryzen 7000 Testing' thread, I used the debug version of OpenCore 0.8.7 to generate the log file that allowed me to find my specific MMIO regions, then added it to my config.plist along with the decimal conversions. My approach was to start with the rest of the EFI was to star as barebones as possible to install and boot into MacOS Ventura, and then adjust things as necessary to add in whatever fixes and functionalities I need later. For example, I have not tried fixing ethernet connectivity on the onboard Intel i-225 controller, though it’s been written about recently as a possibility. In my current building I live in, the internet access point is in the coat closet by the unit entrance, making wired internet use impractical. I may try the fix out eventually, but I'll have to test it when the family is out so no one trips over my long ethernet cable! Ha!

I utilized the SSDTS kindly provided in the 'Ryzen 7000 Testing' thread as well as the kexts suggested there. As you can see above, I am using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

As for my gpu, I had my older 5500XT on hand for the initial install process. Then, once MacOS was installed, I used hackintool to generate the entries for my PCI devices, obtaining the address for my gpu PCIe slot. I then added that address into my config.plist, setting 'device_id' = BF730000 and I set ‘model’ to report the 6950XT, but that’s mostly just for aesthetic reasons. Hoping for native support for AMD 7000 series gpus later down the line!
Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 9.13.38 PM.png

Everything else was fairly standard, I'd say! I'd recommend looking up other the many other guides if you need help with the general install process, but if you have questions about this specific board I'll try and answer!

What's Working:
I know that in the Ryzen 7000 testing thread, it’s been recommended to disable Thunderbolt in the BIOS. However, ever the risk-taker, I decided to give it a try and enabling it. Booting the machine with all my devices connected and powered on, I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find Thunderbolt working, at least for my needs! Directly to one port, I have a Cal Digit TS4 dock connected, and to that dock I have various peripherals, a USB DAC (RME ADI-2 FS), as well as my Universal Audio system consisting of an Apollo x8 and Apollo Twin daisy-chained together with Thunderbolt 3 cables. I’m still testing, but so far in MacOS I haven’t had any audio drops or pops. All my other devices work as well. Additionally, in previous systems with onboard thunderbolt ports, it was always hit or miss whether I could boot into either OS and have my devices connected through thunderbolt detected. However, on this motherboard, I have not had any issues at all, though I will continue to test that. So at least for my use case, thunderbolt is working! However, if there’s a reason why I should disable for the time being that I have not picked up on, I’m open to hearing why! Have not yet tested if sleep will break this, but I don't really use sleep- when I'm using my computers they're either just on or off!

Wifi/Bluetooth are working right out of the box due to the Broadcom swap.

AMD Power Gadget is up and running and reporting all of my components correctly.

The Radeon 6950 XT is outputting 4k 120hz with full acceleration. Not noticing any artifacts or weird display drops.

I will just add, there's probably more I need to fix and test still, including making my USB port map. Though, the USB ports that I have used for install and up to this point have been working just fine and recognizing/powering my devices! Still, I'll need to remedy that and probably some other things, but progress will be slow. Lots of holiday and family activities and we just adopted another kitten! Hands are quite full, but hope to tidy up some things as soon as I can.

Acknowledgements:
I know there were many folks working to get MacOS up and running on AM5 over in the 'Ryzen 7000 Testing' thread and I appreciate all your hard work. Thank’s @CaseySJ for providing the AM5 specific SSDT files and providing the guide that helped me to get things up and running!

Thanks to @ExtremeXT who provided a write up regarding MMIO whitelisting and how to convert address from hexadecimal to decimal, super helpful! You can find that guide here:

Unfortunately in my initial attempts, I hit a snag… In my excitement and haste, I had forgotten all about the AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext. Thankfully, @unforsaken had also built a system with this motherboard and kindly allowed me to compare EFIs, which allowed me to quickly find my silly error.

Again, big thanks to everyone who have been troubleshooting and experimenting to get things working!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Update:
Been a bit since I had any meaningful amount of time working on this, but I have replaced my older router with a mesh network and have an additional node in the vicinity of this machine. With this, connecting the machine to the node via ethernet is now a viable option.
The onboard Intel i-225 ethernet port is now functioning! The method can be found in the Ryzen 7000 testing thread, here.

Good timing too, since for some reason, while using wifi via the Broadcom BCM94360NG, it will suddenly turn off. This occurs in both MacOS Ventura AND Windows. In either OS, I am unable to turn wifi back on, until I restart the system and log back in to either OS. In my limited attempts to reproduce the problem, it seems to happen pretty randomly: during downloads of files and applications, both big and small, watching YouTube, general web browsing, or doing something completely unrelated to internet access.

I'm skeptical to blame the Broadcom chip, as I had it in a previous machine functioning for years- though I suppose it's certainly possible during the transplanting process something happened to damage it. However, I do wonder if a connection somewhere didn't get fully seated or tightened somewhere during the installation process, leading to some drop outs? Will continue to investigate the issue. Any advice or suggestions welcome.

EDIT: @unforsaken I know your wireless chip of choice was the Intel AX210, but have you encountered any similar issues?

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Could you share your EFI?
Hello, yes sure thing- however I'm currently on a vacation away from the machine. Hadn't gotten around to backing up the EFI via cloud storage! Oops! Would be happy to send it after I return home later this week.

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
Congrats for the build.
Could you do me a favor ?
Are these Adobe apps ( pts , lr) working on 7000 ryzen ?
Many thanks

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Congrats for the build.
Could you do me a favor ?
Are these Adobe apps ( pts , lr) working on 7000 ryzen ?
Many thanks
Sorry for the late reply, but unfortunately I do not use the Adobe suite of apps! Though anecdotally, I do believe they work, but may take some extra effort to get there! Hope you were able to figure this out!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Sorry for the hiatus! The holidays and some exciting work projects have kept me busy and away from doing too much. But today with some downtime, I've updated OpenCore to the latest 0.8.9 release and have updated MacOS Ventura to 13.2.1.

I'm not completely up to date on things, but I saw a flurry of activity related to Thunderbolt, so I'll see if I can't take the weekend to read up and see if I can't get this build working even better than it currently does, though I'll say I haven't had any complaints!

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
Sorry for the late reply, but unfortunately I do not use the Adobe suite of apps! Though anecdotally, I do believe they work, but may take some extra effort to get there! Hope you were able to figure this out!
Thanks for reply.
I'm just ordered all the parts , including 7950X and B650I
It would very kind of you could share your EFI for comparing.

thenightflyer

AMD OS X Member
Congrats for your build! I'm curious to know what kind of brand do you own for your 6950xt...is it a reference AMD? Or other brand?

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for reply.
I'm just ordered all the parts , including 7950X and B650I
It would very kind of you could share your EFI for comparing.
Sure no problem, just messaged you. For anyone else interested, please message me, happy to share my latest available!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Congrats for your build! I'm curious to know what kind of brand do you own for your 6950xt...is it a reference AMD? Or other brand?
It is indeed a reference 6950xt! I am primarily interested in small(er) form factor cases, and many non-reference cards have larger heatsink and cooling solutions. Better performance but won't fit for me!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Took a while to catch up on some reading in the main Ryzen 7000 thread, but I've just applied the patch documented >>here<< that I'm hoping will alleviate some of the wifi troubles I was having a couple of posts up, right before the new year. Currently, ethernet, wifi, and thunderbolt (via the internal USB4 ports) all are enabled in BIOS and seem to be working!

The problems with wifi turning off always took a little bit to happen though, so I'll need to continue testing to make sure there are no problems.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Latest update:
Updated to OC 0.9.1 and Ventura 13.3.1 using the latest patches available on the AMD-OSX github.
Keeping an eye out for the latest ASUS BIOS, waiting until a finalized (non-beta) version to be released before updating.
EDIT: To clarify- interested in updating BIOS for changes/additions that may be occurring ;)

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
It's been quite a month for this build...

If you've seen some of my posts, you might be aware of some stability concerns I've been having, specifically with CPU temps suddenly rocketing upward before the system shut itself off and some other random crashing. Especially given recent news about ASUS AM5 boards, I was especially concerned...

After troubleshooting, I've pretty much isolated all of my issues to being HARDWARE related:
  1. Bad display port extender (needed because of vertical case, with mobo and gpu ports facing downward) crashing the system. Swapped to a different one, no problems since.
  2. Lower quality GPU riser cable would come unseated from motherboard a little too easily, also causing crashes/video dropouts. Case also allows for traditional layout with GPU mounted directly to PCIE slot in motherboard, so that's what I'm doing now.
  3. Finally, the cherry on top, my CPU temps blasting off and crashing the system: Finally figured out that the AIO pump will randomly fail. Absolutely no rhyme or reason. Tested the PWM header with a fan and it's fully functional at constant speed. Tested other headers with the pump, it will eventually stop as well.
Really disappointed with my terrible luck with this build, especially since in all my years, this was my first time buying all completely new components! I planned everything around a beautiful SFF case. I'm no stranger to tiny builds, but this was my first time really trying out liquid cooling. I first tried a cheaper CoolerMaster AIO and loved the performance and while it wasn't necessarily loud, the quality and character of the pump noise was absolutely terrible. I shelled out for an EK Elite 280 and everything seemed great!...Until the pump failures started just a couple months ago. It's funny, to psyche myself into going for an AIO, I told myself how rare these types of failures are, and here I am, only about 2 years in! I love how the case looks and performs when everything working correctly, but the entire experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'd like to go back to what I know, good ol' faithful air cooling.

I had already been looking into some changes, but now I think my path is clearer. No longer interested in X3D, but will probably be moving back to ASUS ProArt for the thunderbolt and displayport input, and of course, a larger case to fit a nice beefy cpu heatsink! I know there's the possibility of me leaving some performance on the table, but realistically, even eco mode provides more than enough performance for my use cases.

As for this current system:
  • updated to BIOS 1616, no issues besides needing to reapply some settings
  • Updated to OpenCore 0.9.2 and drivers/kexts
  • Updated to Venture 13.4, no issues.
After I move my personal system to an ATX build, this will most likely become repurposed for family/guest use, so don't worry, EFI should continue to be updated :)

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
All the components have arrived for my ATX transplant. I know I mentioned I'd still be updating the EFI for this motherboard, but given that it'll be for a spare machine, it will likely be a long time before that happens. That being said, attached is my latest EFI for ASUS x670e-i
  • BIOS 1616
  • OpenCore 0.9.2
  • Tested with MacOS 13.4
Some warnings:
  • USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: The only reason I hadn't uploaded this earlier was because of some stability issues I had (see posts above). However, troubleshooting everything helped me realize it was most likely all hardware failure related. In the slight chance that it's not, I most likely will not be able to help you troubleshoot since this machine will be decommissioned (for now!)
  • Most likely will need to create your own MMIO whitelist (LINK TO INSTRUCTIONS)
  • In DeviceProperties, spoofed 6950XT GPU to 6900XT, please adjust/remove according to your own GPU
  • No working USB Map. I could never get this quite right for this board. Always had odd behaviors. But I use a ThunderBolt hub for all I/O, so not needed ;)
  • If you have any questions, please refer to all the available resources first! That's how I put this together, so if I can do it, you probably can too:)

Attachments

• EFI_ASUSX670E-I.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.