Asus B550 and USB Ports

suur13

AMD OS X Member
I have otherwise nicely working Ryzentosh (5600X, Strix B550-A, GT730), even I225V is working after 11.4 !

Only issue I see is that internal USB2 ports do not work. They are not even visible in System Information and port discovery.
USB3 header from motherboard is working, USB2 not (attached to card reader and 1 separate port on front of the case).
Cardreader works in Windows and Linux, it has power led, which lights up on Post, but shuts off right when MacOS progres bar starts.

I have tried - Hackintool USBPorts.kext, USBMap tool, famous AMD-USB-Map.kext (both as downloaded and modified by me), always of course in config.plist
I have tried SSDT-RHUB.aml, XHCIPortLimit true and false, different SMBIOS (iMacPro1,1 / MacPro6,1 / MacPro7,1 / iMac17,1 / some more).

Strange is that nothing changes, I always get same picture as attached (I would accept that something at least changes a little or even goes worse, but nope....):

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Most card readers aren't supported without a kext in macOS. Get the device / vendor ID from Windows and I'll see if there's one for it.

suur13

AMD OS X Member
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 058f:9520 Alcor Micro Corp. Watchdata W 1981
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e3:070e Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub

But there should be at least something visible (like the Aura LED Controller in my screenshot).
Also my front panel USB2 port does not give any sign of life (attached to same USB controller in motherboard).

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
There are some serious bugs with USB on B550 boards using a 5000 series CPU so it’s always a good idea to make sure your bios is using the latest firmware update.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
You could also try mapping your USB ports via windows using USBToolBox,
Full instructions on how to use it can be found on the GitHub but it’s very simple to use.

suur13

AMD OS X Member
Also commands like below do not show USB devices like the one taken from linux above (lsusb):
system_profiler SPUSBDataType
ioreg -p IOUSB -l -w 0
lsusb (for Mac via usbutils in Macports)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I can't seem to see any support for that device on macOS I'm afraid.

suur13

AMD OS X Member
OK. Regarding all those USB kext versions I tried - I found out why they do not make any difference - they do not get loaed acc. to Hackintool... why could that be ?

In Windows USBToolbox sees Reader in PO11, exactly the port what is missing in my screenshot.

suur13

AMD OS X Member
Clearing ExecutablePath in config.plist helped !

Then USBPorts.kext did only change port types, UTBMap.kext halted boot on progress bar, but self modified AMD-USB-MAP.kext finally didi the trick !

BTW, both memory-card reader and smart card reader work. Also lone USB2 port in front panel. All good.

history

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the update. Could you let us know more specifically your process to get the motherboard's USB 2 headers to be read by MacOS? And could you also perhaps upload your AMD-USB-MAP.kext for reference? Many thanks.

suur13

AMD OS X Member
Simplyfied explanation (it was 2 weeks ago and over 3 full days I tried gazillion different configs, I do not remember sequence and what exactly worked):

1. Download USBToolBox for Windows from post #5 (and read the guide there)
2. In Windows where all ports are visible, create your port map
3. Download AMD-USB-MAP.kext:
4. Customize this file acc. to map you created in Windows
5. Load the Kext with EMPTY ExecutablePath in your config.plist file

Things to understand:
  • I had some experience with USB mapping already. I do not know your knowledge level.
  • You still should know your port types. In the end I'm not sure it even mattered, besides 255. My sleep works.
  • My motherboard 2 controllers are rather simple (see pic in first post). In net it seems most boards are more funky.
  • You must be consistent with SMBIOS. I also learned that iMacPro1.1 screws USB you port maps. Used MacPro6.1
  • NO other USB related Kext (like InjectAll) or SSDT besides vanilla SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml from Dortania guide.
  • XHCIPortLimit is False, no other tricks in config.plist

Attachments

• AMD-USB-Map.kext.zip
    1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.