Amd hd 6450 & Catalina

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys I installed Catalina on an AMD A10 7700K and it works perfectly. Now I have an Old AMD HD 6450 1GB according to you can it work with Catalina even if it is not supported? I tried to install it and in the Mac info it is detected however with 5mb of video memory, is there any method to make it work best and use its 1GB of video memory? Thank you all!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The HD6450 was last supported in macOS High Sierra, so there are no drivers/kexts in Mojave or newer versions of macOS for this GPU. If I recall it lacks metal support, so even if you could get it to work, it would never be great for Catalina.

OpenCore Legacy Patcher might be your best bet to get this dGPU working in Catalina. As you already have macOS installed all you need to do is run the Root Patches and see what happens.

You will need to disable SIP and AMFI before running the OCLP Root Patches.

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk Thanks for informing me, I will try. Just a few questions: to disable SIP should I set 67000000 in csr-active-config on config.plist? Instead for AMFI should I enter this boot arg at startup amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Those are both old settings, so not sure if they will work. As SIP only needs to be disabled for kext loading, I would suggest you do the following:
  1. Set SecureBootModel to Disabled
  2. Add amfi=80 in boot args.
  3. Set the csr-active-config as 03080000
Then reboot.

When back in macOS run the OCLP Root Patches.

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
Good evening @Edhawk , in the afternoon I tried with the settings you recommended however I could not install it. SIP with your settings gives me everything uninhabited (I checked with "csrutil status") so I guess it's ok. I just can't figure out if AMFI disables because I tried with your setting but nothing I also tried with "amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1", "amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1" and with "amfi=0x80" the opencore legacy patcher command always remains unselectable. What do I need to change again that I haven't done? I also ran a command in the terminal to disable Gatekeeper, but that didn't solve it either.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Disabling SIP takes many forms depending on the version of macOS you are running. See this section of the OpenCore guide regrading disabling SIP.

# Disabling SIP

Partially disabling SIP so unsigned kexts can run and the OCLP patches can be used is listed as using csr-active-config = 03000000 - Disable kext signing (0x1) and filesystem protections (0x2). The car-active-config code I told you to use is a newer version using 03080000, instead of 03000000. You may need to use the older version as you are running Catalina.

An alternative to using amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 or amfi=80 boot arguments is to use AMFIPass.kext. This is explained in the section of a guide I copied from @miliuco's post over at Tonymacx86.

AMFI and AMFIpass.kext

AMFI (Apple Mobile File Integrity) was originally seen on iOS but migrated to macOS in 10.12 Sierra, possibly in 2012 when GateKeeper and digitally signed code were introduced. In short, it is a technology that blocks the execution of non signed code. It consists of 2 components:

• the /usr/libexec/amfid service run as root from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.MobileFileIntegrity.plist
  • the extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileFileIntegrity.kext.
AMFI must be enabled to grant third-party applications access to privacy-relevant services and/or peripherals, such as external cameras and microphones. But, with SIP and/or AMFI disabled (a necessary condition to apply OCLP root patches) the dialog box to grant access to those applications is not shown to the user so those peripherals simply cannot be used in applications like Zoom or MS Teams, for example.

AMFI is usually enabled but it has already been seen that OCLP root patches require disabling AMFI and SIP in order to be applied. To avoid the problem of peripherals not working with third-party applications, the OCLP team has developed the AMFIPass.kext extension that allows AMFI to be enabled when the system must operate with AMFI and SIP disabled, such as when using OCLP or applying root patches. This fixes the permissions issue and OCLP can apply the patches as if AMFI were disabled.

If macOS has previously given permissions to these third-party applications and then AMFI and/or SIP is disabled, these permissions are transferred and the new system maintains them. But in a clean installation they do not exist. This is the main problem that AMFIPass.kext tries to solve. Being able to root patch OCLP with AMFI enabled is just a positive side effect.

In summary, when applying OCLP root patches you can act in 2 different ways:

• with boot argument amfi=0x80 without AMFIPass.kext. amfi=0x80 is a bitmask that disables AMFI completely. The value 0x80 is equivalent to AMFI_ALLOW_EVERYTHING
  • with AMFIPass.kext removing amfi=0x80 and adding -amfipassbeta in boot args.
The -amfipassbeta boot argument is provided by AMFIPass.kext to override kernel version checking, so that the extension is loaded regardless of the macOS version. This way AMFIPass can work on macOS beta for which the extension does not yet have support.

I use AMFIPass.kext, removing amfi=0x80. If OCLP root patching fails due to this setting, I temporarily disable AMFI with the boot argument amfi=0x80, apply the patches, reboot, remove amfi=0x80, and reboot again.

(credits to 5T33Z0 for much of the explanatory text on AMFI and AMFIPass.kext).

The latest version of AMFIPass.kext v1.4.0 is attached below.

HD 6450:
I haven't used either of my HD6450 cards in a number of years. Not since I retired them when upgrading my old HP Microserver's from Sierra to Catalina. When I used these cards, I had an SSDT-HD6450.aml in my setup, which meant I didn't need WhateverGreen.kext. A copy of the SSDT is attached in .aml and .dsl format. So you can edit the SSDT to suit the IOName for the location of your HD 6450 card.

What OCLP will be doing is adding some old AMD kexts that Catalina doesn't contain, probably from the last High Sierra release. These are required to get the HD 6450 working in Catalina. The SSDT when edited to suit your setup should help with the correct workings for the card, as it was never a GPU that Apple ever used.

Attachments

• SSDT-HD6450.zip
    2 KB · Views: 5
  • AMFIPass-1.4.0.zip
    180.9 KB · Views: 2

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Edhawk thanks for helping me it works! :love::love::love: Only I noticed 2 strange things during the boot leader that I hadn't seen before, can you tell me if they are normal?

Schermata 2023-12-07 alle 15.03.29.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 15.08.40.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Great news that you have the HD 6450 up and running with full acceleration.

No, never seen either of those lines in any verbose text before.
However, a little google search later and I can confirm the following:

They are related to the users developing the Non-metal workings used by the OCLP Root Patcher. See this Github page, where the three names are present. ASentientBot (Amy), EduCovas and ASentientBotHedgehog plus khronokernel, one of the leads in the OCLP development.

So nothing to worry about, as far as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.