13.6.1 or Sonoma update

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Hey,

I can't install either one of these updates, could anyone tell me what's wrong? When I try to boot into the macOS Installer it just hangs. I can normally boot into Ventura 13.1 though.

IMG_9839.jpeg

Specs are in the signature and EFI attached, I can't find the problem. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.8 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You should have generated custom SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml for your system by now. You should not still be relying on Generic SSDT's such as SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml given the amount of time you have been using your Hack and visiting this site. Use Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your system DSDT.aml to generate these two SSDTs and replace the generic SSDT.

Here is a guide to generating the custom SSDTs.

You don't need OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi with your B550/R5 5600/RX660XT system. I would remove this driver from your OC setup.

The version of Airportitlwm.kext are you using in your OC setup is v2.2.0. This version will not work with Sonoma.
Each version of macOS requires a different kext for the Intel WiFi/BT card to work. Sonoma requires the Alpha v2.3.0 release kext.
  1. If you are using the v2.2.0 release for Ventura, then you shouldn't have any issues installing a more recent release of Ventura, such as 13.6.1. That kext would be no use when installing Sonoma.
  2. You are using v2.2.0 release for the Intel Card so it won't work in Sonoma.
  3. You using the latest Intel Bluetooth and Broadcom BlueToolFixup.kext so your BT module would work with Sonoma, if they were in the correct order in your config.plist.
  4. The three Bluetooth kexts should be placed in the following order in your config for best results.
    1. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
    2. IntelBTPatcher.kext
    3. BlueToolFixup.kext
I would question the accuracy of your UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist and the USB ports that are being activated in your system.

Your ASRock ITX motherboard contains the following USB ports and headers.
  • 1 x USB 2.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 2.0 ports)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.2 Gen1 ports)
  • 1 x Front Panel Type C USB 3.2 Gen2 Header
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A Port (10 Gb/s)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C Port (10 Gb/s)
  • 4 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Ports
  • 1 x USB2 Internal port serving M.2 Bluetooth module

This means your motherboard contains 21 or 23 x USB ports, depending on whether the Type-C header is Type-c with switch (9) or Type-C without switch (10).
It doesn't contain any USB2 physical ports on the rear I/O plate, so you shouldn't have any ports set as USB2 (0) in your kext, but you do!
You should have 16 x ports set as USB3 (3). This would include:
  • 6 x physical USB3 ports and 6 x virtual USB2 ports served from the 6 x physical ports on the rear I/O plate. All 12 ports should be set as USB3 (3).
  • 2 x Physical USB3 port and 2 x USB2 virtual ports served from motherboard header, connected to 2 x case front USB3 ports. All 4 ports should be set as USB3 (3).
Internal Headers:
  • 2 x USB2 Internal ports served from the USB2 motherboard header, connected to USB2 case front ports, a USB card reader or other USB2 device. These 2 x ports should be set as Internal (255) not as USB2 (0).
  • The Type-C header can be either with or without switch. The way to tell which port you have is by doing the following:
    • Inserting a Type-C device in to the case front port, note which port is highlighted,
    • Remove the Type-C device, flip it 180° and reinsert it in the Type-c connector,
    • If the same port is highlighted then the connector is a Type-c with Switch (9).
    • If a different port is highlighted then the connector is a Type-c without Switch (10).
    • In both cases there will be a single or pair of Virtual USB2 ports available from the connector, which should be discovered and set with the same connector type as the physical connector.
Make the changes listed above and maybe you will be able to upgrade macOS to 13.6.1 or Sonoma.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
hello Edhawk
I am starting to create an SSDT with your method

but from the start in hachintool I have very little information

I think there is a problem?

I still managed to map the USB ports with USBToolBox
it's on an msi 970 gaming am3+ motherboard
with a fx8350
I managed to install monterey 12.5

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-12-05 à 12.59.40.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-12-05 à 12.59.40.png
    83 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If you used Hackintool to dump a copy of the systems ACPI tables, post a copy of the DSDT.aml table, so I can see what it contains.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
here is the dsdt aml that hachintool exported

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I’ll have a look at this when I am at my desk, later this afternoon.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Attached is a copy of the Results folder generated when using your System DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime Python script.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 16.10.42.png SSDTTime SSDT's for MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ motherboard

I would recommend using all four SSDT-XXX.aml tables and the OC ACPI patches in your OC setup.

Replace any other similar tables currently in your OC setup, don't use two tables to do the same job.

Attachments

• Results.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 2

laurent

AMD OS X Member
THANKS
should I delete
XLNCUSBFix.kext
USBToolBox.kext
UTBMap.kext ?

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, but I would question whether you need both USB kexts.

When booting my FX system I only used XLNCUSBFix.kext, as the built in USB ports reverted to USB1.1. No matter how careful I was when mapping the ports. Most needed to be tested and discovered using a USB Keyboard, as it worked at USB1.1 speed.

Only 4 x USB3.0 on the rear I/O plate and the companion virtual USB2.0 ports worked correctly. So I ended up using a PCIe USB adapter card to increase the number of ports available. The PCIe card ports used an ASMedia USB Controller so worked out of the box in macOS.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
You should have generated custom SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml for your system by now. You should not still be relying on Generic SSDT's such as SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml given the amount of time you have been using your Hack and visiting this site. Use Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your system DSDT.aml to generate these two SSDTs and replace the generic SSDT.

Here is a guide to generating the custom SSDTs.

You don't need OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi with your B550/R5 5600/RX660XT system. I would remove this driver from your OC setup.

The version of Airportitlwm.kext are you using in your OC setup is v2.2.0. This version will not work with Sonoma.
Each version of macOS requires a different kext for the Intel WiFi/BT card to work. Sonoma requires the Alpha v2.3.0 release kext.
  1. If you are using the v2.2.0 release for Ventura, then you shouldn't have any issues installing a more recent release of Ventura, such as 13.6.1. That kext would be no use when installing Sonoma.
  2. You are using v2.2.0 release for the Intel Card so it won't work in Sonoma.
  3. You using the latest Intel Bluetooth and Broadcom BlueToolFixup.kext so your BT module would work with Sonoma, if they were in the correct order in your config.plist.
  4. The three Bluetooth kexts should be placed in the following order in your config for best results.
    1. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
    2. IntelBTPatcher.kext
    3. BlueToolFixup.kext
I would question the accuracy of your UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist and the USB ports that are being activated in your system.

Your ASRock ITX motherboard contains the following USB ports and headers.
  • 1 x USB 2.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 2.0 ports)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.2 Gen1 ports)
  • 1 x Front Panel Type C USB 3.2 Gen2 Header
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A Port (10 Gb/s)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C Port (10 Gb/s)
  • 4 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Ports
  • 1 x USB2 Internal port serving M.2 Bluetooth module

This means your motherboard contains 21 or 23 x USB ports, depending on whether the Type-C header is Type-c with switch (9) or Type-C without switch (10).
It doesn't contain any USB2 physical ports on the rear I/O plate, so you shouldn't have any ports set as USB2 (0) in your kext, but you do!
You should have 16 x ports set as USB3 (3). This would include:
  • 6 x physical USB3 ports and 6 x virtual USB2 ports served from the 6 x physical ports on the rear I/O plate. All 12 ports should be set as USB3 (3).
  • 2 x Physical USB3 port and 2 x USB2 virtual ports served from motherboard header, connected to 2 x case front USB3 ports. All 4 ports should be set as USB3 (3).
Internal Headers:
  • 2 x USB2 Internal ports served from the USB2 motherboard header, connected to USB2 case front ports, a USB card reader or other USB2 device. These 2 x ports should be set as Internal (255) not as USB2 (0).
  • The Type-C header can be either with or without switch. The way to tell which port you have is by doing the following:
    • Inserting a Type-C device in to the case front port, note which port is highlighted,
    • Remove the Type-C device, flip it 180° and reinsert it in the Type-c connector,
    • If the same port is highlighted then the connector is a Type-c with Switch (9).
    • If a different port is highlighted then the connector is a Type-c without Switch (10).
    • In both cases there will be a single or pair of Virtual USB2 ports available from the connector, which should be discovered and set with the same connector type as the physical connector.
Make the changes listed above and maybe you will be able to upgrade macOS to 13.6.1 or Sonoma.
All right, sorry for the late reply but I finally got around to doing everything listed here. I was supposed to do the custom SSDTs long ago but for some reason I could get SSDTTime to dump my DSDT for the life of me.
This time it happened.

I can attach my DSDT.aml here, but I'm hoping to have done all the right fixes, and am currently downloading 13.6.1 to see if that can be installed correctly. If everything goes as planned, I will switch out Airportlwm.kext to version 2.3.0 as that does not work with Ventura at all.

One side note, my Ethernet does not work and nothing I have tried works, I remember you trying to help me out with it at some point in the past but nothing came out of it after all. Could there be some pointers buried somewhere in the DSDT or could that amount to a fix with that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI+DSDT.zip
    27.8 MB · Views: 1

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Okay so Ventura 13.6.1 still can not be installed even after adding the SSDTs from my DSDT.aml and (hopefully) fixing the UTBMap.kext.

The same problem continues, as the system restarts, I go into Mac Installer and get this.

I would love to hear it if I did something incorrectly with my DSDT or UTBMap, otherwise I am stumped since I have never gotten a LOG:EXITBS:START during an update.

IMG_9849.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Having looked at your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder contents I would recommend the following:

Delete these two SSDT's as neither is set correctly for your system. Neither device named in the two SSDT's is present in your DSDT.aml.
SSDT-i225V.aml
SSDT-SLEEP.aml.

These will not be helping your system, possibly the SSDT-i225V.aml table could be the cause of your Ethernet not working.

The Results folder attached below contains 4 x SSDT-XXX.aml tables that have been generated using your System DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. You should use these SSDT's and the companion OC Patches in your setup. Alongside SSDT-CPUR.aml.

This is a Finder view of theACPI folder.
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 22.24.57.png Your current ACPI folder contents

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 22.25.54.png
This is how your ACPI folder should look using the new SSDT's I generated using your DSDT.aml.

The e 5 x ACPI > Patches that are present in your current config.plist are good and should work just fine with your SSDT-HPET.aml, and the one I generated.

As I also generated SSDT-XOSI.aml this table requires another ACPI > Patch be added to the config.plist. This can be found in the Results folder > patches_OC.plist.

Looking through your config.plist all I see that isn't needed is the dk.e1000=0 boot argument, as this is not required in Ventura or newer.

Try this revised EFI folder, see if this helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.8 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is a copy of the SSDTTime Results folder, which I forgot to add to the post above!

Attachments

• Results.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 1

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Having looked at your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder contents I would recommend the following:

Delete these two SSDT's as neither is set correctly for your system. Neither device named in the two SSDT's is present in your DSDT.aml.
SSDT-i225V.aml
SSDT-SLEEP.aml.

These will not be helping your system, possibly the SSDT-i225V.aml table could be the cause of your Ethernet not working.

The Results folder attached below contains 4 x SSDT-XXX.aml tables that have been generated using your System DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. You should use these SSDT's and the companion OC Patches in your setup. Alongside SSDT-CPUR.aml.

This is a Finder view of theACPI folder.
View attachment 12705 Your current ACPI folder contents

View attachment 12706
This is how your ACPI folder should look using the new SSDT's I generated using your DSDT.aml.

The e 5 x ACPI > Patches that are present in your current config.plist are good and should work just fine with your SSDT-HPET.aml, and the one I generated.

As I also generated SSDT-XOSI.aml this table requires another ACPI > Patch be added to the config.plist. This can be found in the Results folder > patches_OC.plist.

Looking through your config.plist all I see that isn't needed is the dk.e1000=0 boot argument, as this is not required in Ventura or newer.

Try this revised EFI folder, see if this helps.
Okay, I tried your updated EFI, normal boot to macOS, nothing new there. Still no Ethernet though but that is not a major issue.

I went on to download Ventura 13.6.1 again and try to install but the same old persists, I get the exact same verbose upon booting to macOS Installer.

Then I went ahead and tried to change my SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 to see if that would help as some people suggested that but no difference. Looks like I am stuck on 13.1 and can not upgrade even to 13.6.1, which I find very odd as I have never had any issues updating in the same version, obviously updating to a new version always requires at least updating kexts and OC but that has done the trick up to now.
Edit: Side note, a weird thing I noticed. For some reason in "About this Mac", my processor information has changed to 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 instead of Ryzen 6. Wonder what that's about.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
One more thing, my Bluetooth stopped working completely with the new EFI you provided. Will look into it tomorrow.

ra3al

AMD OS X Member
I looked at your config.plist, seems to me you can't boot into Ventura 13.3+, because the old CPU core number patch specific to 12.0 - 13.2.X is enabled for you for 13.3+ as well. The new patch specific for 13.3+ is present and configured as expected.

You just have to limit the old one to 12.0 - 13.2.X only.
Change MaxKernel from 22.99.99 to 22.3.99

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12.58.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12.58.55.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 5

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
I looked at your config.plist, seems to me you can't boot into Ventura 13.3+, because the old CPU core number patch specific to 12.0 - 13.2.X is enabled for you for 13.3+ as well. The new patch specific for 13.3+ is present and configured as expected.

You just have to limit the old one to 12.0 - 13.2.X only.
Change MaxKernel from 22.99.99 to 22.3.99
Hello, and sorry for the late reply. You were exactly right, I changed the MinKernel in the appropriate patch and, lo and behold, Sonoma 14.1.2 is in. Thank you very much!

I had a pretty good experience right off the bat, though I haven't yet gotten Bluetooth back up but I'm hoping to get it done today. Also, updating to 14.4 did not work, I went into a boot loop upon trying to install but I found lots of posts about problems with that version, looking into it now.

Edit: Bluetooth fixed, now looking for a fix for my ethernet as that seems to be required for the time being in order to install Sonoma 14.4. It looks like I may not be able to use Wifi in 14.4 as installing requires disabling Wifi and Bluetooth kexts and disabling secure boot, at least during the installation, but that remains to be seen until I get my Ethernet up.

Edit 2: Ethernet up and running for the first time on this build, just needed AppleIGC.kext. Disabled all Bluetooth and Wifi kexts, disabled secure boot and ran the 14.4 update successfully.
Downloaded the new Airportitlwm.kext for Sonoma 14.4, re-enabled secure boot, bluetooth and wifi kexts and got in.

Then I encountered a new strange problem, my internet just dies after about a minute upon booting. I can start doing whatever, and suddenly internet just... stops existing.
I can still see Wifi and Ethernet as "Connected" in System Settings yet I am not actually online. Saw some people report this on actual Macs that was solved by deleting/disabling a VPN not supported on Sonoma but that doesn't apply here as I do not have a VPN. I will see what I can do about that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.