Need Help: Crashing

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
I recently made my second opencore macOS build, this time on Monterey. After some fiddling for a day or two, I got it to boot on my hardware and successfully installed it. It was stable for a day or so but now I'm having issues where after I boot up into macOS, it works fine for a few minutes and then my video output suddenly cuts out, my monitors go to sleep, my PC fans ramp up to maximum and the computer becomes unresponsive to any inputs. I then have to hard reboot my computer and boot back up into macOS but then in a few minutes the same thing happens again. Sometimes, like when I'm wathcing a video or somehting when it happens, the audio has carried on even though my video output cuts out, the fans ramp up and my inputs cease working.

I've tried reinstalling again, clearing my nvram, nothing fixed the issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

My hardware:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
Radeon Rx 590
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
64GB Corsair Vengeane RGB Pro 3200 C18 (4 sticks of 16GB)

P.S.

Apologies if this is in the wrong board. I technically got past the install but wasn't sure if this is really a "post-install" problem or if it's something wrong with my installation. Admins, if the thread needs to be moved, that's fine. Thank you!

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I recently made my second opencore macOS build, this time on Monterey. After some fiddling for a day or two, I got it to boot on my hardware and successfully installed it. It was stable for a day or so but now I'm having issues where after I boot up into macOS, it works fine for a few minutes and then my video output suddenly cuts out, my monitors go to sleep, my PC fans ramp up to maximum and the computer becomes unresponsive to any inputs. I then have to hard reboot my computer and boot back up into macOS but then in a few minutes the same thing happens again. Sometimes, like when I'm wathcing a video or somehting when it happens, the audio has carried on even though my video output cuts out, the fans ramp up and my inputs cease working.

I've tried reinstalling again, clearing my nvram, nothing fixed the issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

My hardware:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
Radeon Rx 590
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
64GB Corsair Vengeane RGB Pro 3200 C18 (4 sticks of 16GB)

P.S.

Apologies if this is in the wrong board. I technically got past the install but wasn't sure if this is really a "post-install" problem or if it's something wrong with my installation. Admins, if the thread needs to be moved, that's fine. Thank you!
Have you added AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to your build? That is an absolute requirement for any Ryzen systems working on Monterey 12.3+. Also try enabling AdviseWindows and ProvideCPUInfo under the PlatformInfo and Kernel section. If you want to compare EFIs my Monterey B550 build is here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Check your config.plist and make sure Kernel > Emulate > DummyPowerManagement is set to 'True'!, I had a similar issue.

Last edited:

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Have you added AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to your build? That is an absolute requirement for any Ryzen systems working on Monterey 12.3+. Also try enabling AdviseWindows and ProvideCPUInfo under the PlatformInfo and Kernel section. If you want to compare EFIs my Monterey B550 build is here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

Yes, I have the AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext installed. I couldn't find "AdviseWindows" but I saw "AdviseFeatures" and it was already enabled. My "ProvideCPUInfo" was called "ProvideCurrentCPUInfo" and it was also already enabled. I'll take a look at your build and see if there are any things in mine that are wrong. Thanks.

Check your config.plist and make sure Kernel > Emulate > DummyPowerManagement is set to 'True'!, I had a similar issue.

My DummyPowerManagement was already set to True.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like it's trying to sleep. Sleep on AMD hacks can be a bit funny. Easiest way to fix it is to simply disable it in System Preferences.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Sounds like it's trying to sleep. Sleep on AMD hacks can be a bit funny. Easiest way to fix it is to simply disable it in System Preferences.

Sleep is already disabled in my system preferences. It happens when I am actively typing, clicking, playing a video on YouTube, or even editing in Premiere. There's no reason it should think it's time to sleep, at least not within macOS, I don't know about my kernel.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Seems more GPU related then. Can you upload your EFI folder.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
..... I may have fixed it. Upon examining my plist, I saw that my platform info didn't match up across all the subsections. I just made sure it all matched, updated my EFI folder and then cleared my nvram. I don't want to jinx it but it's been up and running now for longer than it usually took to crash before so... I might be in the clear on this. If it rears it ugly head again, I'll return to this thread.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Seems more GPU related then. Can you upload your EFI folder.

That said, here is my EFI folder. I do have other things I would like to do if I can, and I would love advice on how to do them. Mainly, I'd like to get Bluetooth/airdrop and wifi both working, fix the sleep so that if it does go to sleep I can wake it up again without hard resetting it, and I want to make sure the thunderbolt on my motherboard is going to be usable. Any advice on what I need to add would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 3

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Under PlatformInfo remove DataHub, PlatformNVRAM and SMBIOS. You should only use Generic.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
..... I may have fixed it. Upon examining my plist, I saw that my platform info didn't match up across all the subsections. I just made sure it all matched, updated my EFI folder and then cleared my nvram. I don't want to jinx it but it's been up and running now for longer than it usually took to crash before so... I might be in the clear on this. If it rears it ugly head again, I'll return to this thread.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Under PlatformInfo remove DataHub, PlatformNVRAM and SMBIOS. You should only use Generic.

Nope, nevermind. Crashing problem is back. It was stable for about 30 minutes there, but upon my reboot, it only lasted a couple of minutes before happening again. Still need help. Let me know if you see anything wrong with my config. Thanks.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Test with this,

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 4

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Test with this,

Nope, no dice with that folder either. Booted up, put on a YouTube video, and in a couple of minutes the monitors cut out, audio kept going, mouse and keyboard input became unresponsive and it required a hard reboot. Pulling my hair out over here.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Have you enabled NVMEFix.kext and also anything RTC related? DisableRTCChecksum is one found under Kernel > Quirks. There is also a boot-arg you could add which is swd_panic=1 which should prevent the system from sudden reboots.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Have you enabled NVMEFix.kext and also anything RTC related? DisableRTCChecksum is one found under Kernel > Quirks. There is also a boot-arg you could add which is swd_panic=1 which should prevent the system from sudden reboots.

Yes, NCMeFix is enabled and installed. And yes, DisableRTCChecksum is set to "True". It still happens.

I just read about a similar issue in Windows which was related to either an HDR issue or an overheating issue. I wonder if this might have something to do with that. The fans in my system do ramp up to max when it happens but from what I can tell, I think it's ALL the fans in the case and not just the GPU or CPU fans. Also, this doesn't happen when I'm booted into Windows.

I also read about the issue in Windows possibly having to do with running multiple monitors. Is there something I should be including in my config that is specific to running multiple monitors? I'm running two Samsung 850 Series 4K UHD monitors, both connected with DisplayPort to MIniDP cables directly into the Rx 590.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Yes, NCMeFix is enabled and installed. And yes, DisableRTCChecksum is set to "True". It still happens.

I just read about a similar issue in Windows which was related to either an HDR issue or an overheating issue. I wonder if this might have something to do with that. The fans in my system do ramp up to max when it happens but from what I can tell, I think it's ALL the fans in the case and not just the GPU or CPU fans. Also, this doesn't happen when I'm booted into Windows.

I also read about the issue in Windows possibly having to do with running multiple monitors. Is there something I should be including in my config that is specific to running multiple monitors? I'm running two Samsung 850 Series 4K UHD monitors, both connected with DisplayPort to MIniDP cables directly into the Rx 590.
What version is your BIOS firmware? Is it using the latest one? Also have you updated the firmware on your Samsung 970 Evo Plus?

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
What version is your BIOS firmware? Is it using the latest one? Also have you updated the firmware on your Samsung 970 Evo Plus?
It's just the default out-of-the-box BIOS. I didn't think I needed to update it. And firmware on the SSD?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
It's just the default out-of-the-box BIOS. I didn't think I needed to update it. And firmware on the SSD?
Right. In that case you should do the BIOS update, because if it was from the base factory setup that would have been firmware F2 and we are now at version F15c. Also because there had been a number of system stability improvements since then. You could try to get it to at least version F12. As for the SSD, yes there is a firmware update for it too - but it has to be applied under Windows with their Samsung Magician SSD taskbar app.

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
Right. In that case you should do the BIOS update, because if it was from the base factory setup that would have been firmware F2 and we are now at version F15c. Also because there had been a number of system stability improvements since then. You could try to get it to at least version F12. As for the SSD, yes there is a firmware update for it too - but it has to be applied under Windows with their Samsung Magician SSD taskbar app.
But if it were a system stability issue within the BIOS, wouldn't it affect my Windows boot as well? My Windows boot runs fine, it's just that it's.... Windows gags. I'll look into a BIOS update now.

EDIT: By the way, I just checked. My BIOS version is actually already F12, out of the box. I could update it to F15c but if it's not going to be the issue, I'd rather just leave it.

Last edited:

TheGreatKadik

AMD OS X Member
So after some more digging, I think this might be a known GPU problem called "black screening". According to the Dortania opencore install guide, there is a boot-arg that is used to fix this problem on RX 5000 and 6000 series cards called agdpmod=pikera. However, I am not running a 5000 or 6000 series card. I'm running a Polaris card, the Rx 590. I did however try booting up my macOS both with and without the agdpmod=pikera boot-arg. No dice, either way.

There is also a boot-arg you could add which is swd_panic=1 which should prevent the system from sudden reboots.

I even tried adding that boot-arg, as you suggested. No dice.

All this is to say that I'm right back where I started. Still have no idea how to solve this problem and it's really souring my week.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.