Which tools and apps to recommend for Ryzentosh maintenance?

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hey everybody,

I've been running my working 0.5.9 Ryzentosh for a while now and I've been reluctant to upgrade my version.

Scouring through the Web I have seen countless apps and tools that people use to update their Clover and OpenCore versions and their kexts and so on...

I was wondering what tools are really recommended by the community to maintain their Hackintosh? E. g. I've used ProperTree and MountEFI until now if I needed to do something to my configuration.
But what I've also seen is many people use Hackintool here even though it's not recommended to update kexts and such over that and because it downloads and maintains clover etc. I guess it's only for seeing the PC's devices properly.

So my big question is:

What should I use to update my OC version? What apps do this automatically or how do the Pros do this?

How do I update my kexts? Manually seems like a pain in the arse because I don't follow the releases sooo closely.

I just want a good solution to making my Hackintosh experience more comfortable, I know it isn't a piece of cake, but a little bit of guidance is appreciated. I think this is a question that many new Hackintoshers are confronted with and there's no uniform solution

Cheers guys and I hope you can guide me in the right direction!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm doing a monthly update round once a new OC release is published.

Quickly downloading the latest version of all kexts I'm using manually does not take much time.
To update the config I usually either manually apply the changes from the Differences.pdf or doing a diff with the Sample.conf (depending on how complex the changes were).

Since the process is rather straight forward I don't need nor want to rely on other tools that also have to be updated and may cause other issues.

Most kext are published on GitHub anyway, so you can also just "watch" them to get a notification for new releases.

agent2

Donator
Donator
@Aluveitie Thanks mah man!
I mentioned this topic because there are tools like OCBuilder, KextExtractor, Lilu-and-Friends etc. that do a lot of the stuff for you and it's hard to keep track of which ones are good and which ones are ****. I know that TonyMacx86 gets hate for their tools.
So it was just for clarification.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I use OCBuilder when I want to use the OC nightly like for running BigSur.

The KextUpdater from the german hackintosh forum is also solid but I prefer to keep it simple 😎

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I pull OC from git and build with Terminal manually and test on a USB before copying to my main boot drive to ensure nothing broke. For updating kexts I use Lilu and Friends from CorpNewt.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Thanks everybody! 🤜🤛

agent2

Donator
Donator
@Aluveitie @Shaneee Would you guys recommend just pulling all the default files from the new release and pasting them in there? And with the sample.plist just make a new OC snapshot?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@agent2 I always test a new release of OC on a USB to ensure it'll still boot. I'll pull from GitHub and build then replace the relevant efi files and use OCConfigCompare to compare the latest Sample.plist to my config.plist to check for changes.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.