What about the cpu name ?

kwankiu

AMD OS X Member
As i remember there were some post about this on the old forum, but i am unable to find a post about this here, so i would like to ask that :
After we installed our ryzentosh, the cpu is displayed as Intel Core i5 on the About this Mac page, so what's the latest method to modify this on Big Sur?

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 11.42.45 AM.png

Thanks everybody, got the solution :
  1. Disable FileVault
  2. Reboot into recovery mode
  3. Go to terminal (in recovery mode)
  4. Run csrutil disable
  5. Then run csrutil authenticated-root disable
  6. Reboot back into MacOS and start up a terminal
  7. Find your root mount's device - run mount and chop off the last s, e.g. if your root is /dev/disk1s2s3, mark down /dev/disk1s2
  8. Create a new directory, for example mkdir ~/mount
  9. Run sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs DISK_PATH ~/mount , DISK_PATH is the value you marked down in Step 7
  10. Run cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/
  11. Now the file "Processors.strings" is ready in our desktop for modifications, open it with BBEdit
  12. For example my about this mac shows 6-Core Intel Core i5, you should see something like this : <string>6-Core Intel Core i5</string><key>6-Core Intel Core i5</key>
  13. Replace it with <key>6-Core Intel Core i5</key>
    <string>6-Core AMD Ryzen 5</string>, you may also use other name you want instead of "6-Core AMD Ryzen 5"
  14. Now save and close BBEdit
  15. Run sudo cp -Rf ~/Desktop/Processors.strings ~/mount/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/
  16. Note if your region isn't US, you may need to one more thing : Go to About this Mac -> System Report -> Language & Region, pick up the first few language in "OS Interface Languages" until it works.
  17. For example, I got OS Interface Languages: en, en-GB, en-AU, en-IN, zh-Hans, zh-Hant, zh-HK, ja, es, es-419, fr, fr-CA, de, ru, pt-BR, pt-PT, it, ko, tr, nl, ar, th, sv, da, vi, nb, pl, fi, id, he, el, ro, hu, cs, ca, sk, uk, hr, ms, hi, i picked up the first three. So after i did Step 10, i replaced "en.lproj" with "en_GB.lproj" then run Step 10, now with "en_AU.lproj", run step 10 again. cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en_GB.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/ cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en_AU.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/
  18. Run sudo bless --folder ~/mount/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
  19. Reboot your system, and the changes should take place.

Last edited:

zeph016

AMD OS X Member
Here is the old post that you meant which was for catalina >Click Here< . Which does not work on Big Sur.

From what I understood so far:
On Big Sur it's kind of tedious because we aren't really booting from the install disk but from the "Snapshot" of the disk.
The main install disk is readonly so the command "sudo mount -uw /" won't work. Modifications to System(install disk) steps are new on Big Sur.

Although I managed to change mine successfully. I'll post the steps if want to know how.

Jesinth

AMD OS X Member
Here is the old post that you meant which was for catalina >Click Here< . Which does not work on Big Sur.

On Big Sur it's kind of tedious because we aren't really booting from the install disk but from the "Snapshot" of the disk.
The main install disk is readonly so the command "sudo mount -uw /" won't work. Modifications to System(install disk) steps are new on Big Sur.

Although I managed to change mine successfully. I'll post the steps if want to know how.
Please tell the steps to change to writable in big sur

kwankiu

AMD OS X Member

oh yeah that link is my previous post for catalina, so the place to change cpu name is same, just that we have to solve the read only issue ?

zeph016

AMD OS X Member
I won't be able to make a guide right now because I'm traveling but this is the guide i followed in order to make changes to the main disk by mac_editor: >Click Here<

Refer to the "Bypassing SSV" portion.
After mounting the disk and volume you can modify the system or in this case change the CPU name.
Don't forget to create a snapshot and tag the snapshot to be booted. Also indicated on mac_editors' guide.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just be aware that you have to leave authenticated root disabled, if activated again macOS will fail to boot after you modified the root volume.

kwankiu

AMD OS X Member
Thanks everybody, got the solution :
  1. Disable FileVault
  2. Reboot into recovery mode
  3. Go to terminal (in recovery mode)
  4. Run csrutil disable
  5. Then run csrutil authenticated-root disable
  6. Reboot back into MacOS and start up a terminal
  7. Find your root mount's device - run mount and chop off the last s, e.g. if your root is /dev/disk1s2s3, mark down /dev/disk1s2
  8. Create a new directory, for example mkdir ~/mount
  9. Run sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs DISK_PATH ~/mount , DISK_PATH is the value you marked down in Step 7
  10. Run cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/
  11. Now the file "Processors.strings" is ready in our desktop for modifications, open it with BBEdit
  12. For example my about this mac shows 6-Core Intel Core i5, you should see something like this : <string>6-Core Intel Core i5</string><key>6-Core Intel Core i5</key>
  13. Replace it with <key>6-Core Intel Core i5</key> <string>6-Core AMD Ryzen 5</string>, you may also use other name you want instead of "6-Core AMD Ryzen 5"
  14. Now save and close BBEdit
  15. Run sudo cp -Rf ~/Desktop/Processors.strings ~/mount/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/
  16. Note if your region isn't US, you may need to one more thing : Go to About this Mac -> System Report -> Language & Region, pick up the first few language in "OS Interface Languages" until it works.
  17. For example, I got OS Interface Languages: en, en-GB, en-AU, en-IN, zh-Hans, zh-Hant, zh-HK, ja, es, es-419, fr, fr-CA, de, ru, pt-BR, pt-PT, it, ko, tr, nl, ar, th, sv, da, vi, nb, pl, fi, id, he, el, ro, hu, cs, ca, sk, uk, hr, ms, hi, i picked up the first three. So after i did Step 10, i replaced "en.lproj" with "en_GB.lproj" then run Step 10, now with "en_AU.lproj", run step 10 again. cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en_GB.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/ cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en_AU.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/
  18. Run sudo bless --folder ~/mount/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
  19. Reboot your system, and the changes should take place.
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 9.58.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@kwankiu After modifying the CPU name you can reboot into recovery mode and re-enable SIP csrutil enable (but not authenticated root).

x-c0d3

AMD OS X Member
it's worked on my AMD Hackintosh (big sure 11.0.1)
but cannot enable SIP mode after creating a snapshot
if re-enable SIP back again I am found a problem cannot boot to macOS

Attachments

• 126079014_4957222740956359_7200017852381783394_n.jpg
    126079014_4957222740956359_7200017852381783394_n.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 46

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member
i cant get pass the step 7, do u know why?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 18.39.54.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 18.39.54.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 37

x-c0d3

AMD OS X Member

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member

x-c0d3

AMD OS X Member
hi , thanks for respond, but now i got this
View attachment 1782
make sure "authenticated-root" disabled?

check the status with this command
Code:
sudo csrutil authenticated-root status

you can disable authentication root with opencore config
Code:
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<data>dwgAAA==</data>

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member
make sure "authenticated-root" disabled?

check the status with this command
Code:
sudo csrutil authenticated-root status

you can disable authentication root with opencore config
Code:
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<data>dwgAAA==</data>
yes i pretty sure i did disable those

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member
i managed to run the code below
  1. Run sudo bless --folder ~/mount/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
but yet still the cpu name is not changed

i even changed the strings for all the languages i found in

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

does anyone knows how to fix?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@tung_opeth depends on what CPU is shown by default. If "Unknown" or an Intel you will have to replace different keys in different files: AppleSystemInfo.strings for Unknown and Processors.strings for Intel CPU.

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member
@tung_opeth depends on what CPU is shown by default. If "Unknown" or an Intel you will have to replace different keys in different files: AppleSystemInfo.strings for Unknown and Processors.strings for Intel CPU.
i edited the .strings by sublime text thats' why things messed up, works fine now

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.