Using default RecoveryOS logarchive stall

bloodsrrw

AMD OS X Member
I hope you all can help me out. I have an ASRock B450 Pro4 motherboard with latest BIOS, AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU, RX480 video card with 8GB, 32GB system RAM. I followed the guide at Dortania, made the USB stick with Windows Rufus method, got the install files with open core for Big Sir with python macrecovery.py -b Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 -m 00000000000000000 download. My boot-args are -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=7. My install keeps stopping at Using Default RecoveryOS logarchive preservation timeout then Could not create path /private/var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/restore.log: Read-only file system (see attached image)IMG_20220115_10040951.jpg

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try adding npci=0x2000 to your boot arguments in the NVRAM section of your config.plist. See if that helps.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, I've had a look at your EFI and believe it to be OpenCore 0.7.6, this is the release I have based the edits below upon.

I have changed the following in the OC folder:
  1. Added ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi to the /OC/Tools folder. These will be hidden unless you press the Spacebar while on the GUI boot screen.
  2. Added OpenCanopy.efi to the /OC/Drivers folder, so you see the OC GUI when you boot in place of the Picker List.
Config.plist changes:
  1. Used ProperTree Clean snapshot feature to add entries for the three new files listed above.
  2. Removed a number of unused placeholder entries so the config is easier to read.
  3. Changed SetupVirtualMap from True to False, as this is sometimes required by X450 boards.
  4. Changed XhciPortLimit from True to False, as you are probably installing a newer version of Big Sur then 11.3. The Xhci... quirk stopped working in Big Sur 11.3 and newer.
  5. Removed the npci=0x3000 boot arg, as you can Enable 4G in your Bios, this is a better option than using a boot argument.
See if this revised EFI gets you past the current kernel panic and to the installer. If not post another screen image of the verbose text, so we can see what is happening.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 11

bloodsrrw

AMD OS X Member
OK, I've had a look at your EFI and believe it to be OpenCore 0.7.6, this is the release I have based the edits below upon.

I have changed the following in the OC folder:
  1. Added ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi to the /OC/Tools folder. These will be hidden unless you press the Spacebar while on the GUI boot screen.
  2. Added OpenCanopy.efi to the /OC/Drivers folder, so you see the OC GUI when you boot in place of the Picker List.
Config.plist changes:
  1. Used ProperTree Clean snapshot feature to add entries for the three new files listed above.
  2. Removed a number of unused placeholder entries so the config is easier to read.
  3. Changed SetupVirtualMap from True to False, as this is sometimes required by X450 boards.
  4. Changed XhciPortLimit from True to False, as you are probably installing a newer version of Big Sur then 11.3. The Xhci... quirk stopped working in Big Sur 11.3 and newer.
  5. Removed the npci=0x3000 boot arg, as you can Enable 4G in your Bios, this is a better option than using a boot argument.
See if this revised EFI gets you past the current kernel panic and to the installer. If not post another screen image of the verbose text, so we can see what is happening.
Still hanging at the same spot. I created a new installed USB using an old macbook, so now it doesn't have the Could not create path part, but it's still hanging at Using RecoveryOS logarchive

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Is your Ethernet port configured with the correct Kext? Could be the Recovery method is timing out because the Ethernet port is not working.

If you have access to a real Mac, why are you using the Recovery method to install macOS? Why not download the macOS installer to your Mac, install the macOS installation files to the USB pen drive (16GB minimum) along with the OC bootloader.

That way if your Ethernet is not working you can still install macOS and troubleshoot anything not functioning when you get to the macOS Desktop.

Here is a link to the OC guide that uses the 'CreateInstallMedia' method - # Setting up the installer

bloodsrrw

AMD OS X Member
Is your Ethernet port configured with the correct Kext? Could be the Recovery method is timing out because the Ethernet port is not working.

If you have access to a real Mac, why are you using the Recovery method to install macOS? Why not download the macOS installer to your Mac, install the macOS installation files to the USB pen drive (16GB minimum) along with the OC bootloader.

That way if your Ethernet is not working you can still install macOS and troubleshoot anything not functioning when you get to the macOS Desktop.

Here is a link to the OC guide that uses the 'CreateInstallMedia' method - # Setting up the installer
The install is hanging at the same place with both the recovery and with the full install media made on a Mac.
I followed the Dortina guide and used the same efi, hangs at the same place.
I have the RealtekRTL8111.kext for my ethernet.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You would be better served installing Catalina or Big Sur 11.1 or 11.2, as the XhciPortLimit quirk would work with those macOS releases. 11.6 is a fine release, if you have already configured your USB ports.

RealtekRTL8111.kext is correct for your Ethernet controller, according to the specifications for your motherboard. But the EFI I downloaded from post #4 didn't contain a RealtekRTL8111.kext. It contains AppleI2xx.kext which would work for a number of Intel Ethernet controllers.

Try the EFI-2 folder below, which has been updated with a RealtekRTL8111.kext, in the /OC/Kexts folder and config.plist.

Which USB port are you using with the Installation USB pen drive?
You would be best served using one of the top two USB2 (Black tang) ports on the rear plate, in case it is a USB port discovery/pass over issue between the Bios and OS that is causing the KP/Hang.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    10.6 MB · Views: 4

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to look at your Recovery USB, as I think the screenshot you posted states that an important Recovery Data file is missing, see the screenshot below:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 23.31.21.png

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.