USB Audio gone after bios update - ports all working

fer662

AMD OS X Member
Hello there. So i've been running a 3900x + x570 Aorus ultra for quite a while now and I found a 5950x in stock nearby and went for it. I did the bios update for my board to support it, changed the CPU and booted. Stuck in Apple logo. Eventually I found only 2 quicks that got it to boot from someone that had the same issue with another x570 board. My onboard audio has always crackled (which i hear is a common issue with Ryzen) with this motherboard and since I didn't want to bother fixing it every update, I had just gotten Corsair Void Pro headphones and they worked perfectly. Now after the update, they are still detected, but no sound comes out. I've tried flipping all bios settings related to USB but nothing changed. All my ports work fine. I'm ashamed to say that I've been running hackintoshes for the last 8 years and I never bothered to map my ports. I don't think it's the issue since like i said, all my ports work fine.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

fer662

AMD OS X Member
Things i've tried so far:
  • Updated OpenCore and all kexts
  • All USB ports
  • Switching SMBIOS (was macpro 1,1)
  • i made the usb mapping, made no difference.
  • I tried the default AMD mapping
  • I updated kexts
  • Tried HDMI/Display port audio, also crackle
  • Tried onboard sound again, with all layouts. All that work, crackle
  • Disabled XMP
  • Disabled onboard audio (bios setting)
  • Removing my secondary nVIDIA GPU that i use for windows.
  • Disabling some USB controllers from bios
  • Another crappy USB Audio dongle
  • Disabled Cool'n'Quiet
  • Changed PCI-E version to 3.0
Also i noticed something super crazy. Plugging the usb headphones makes the videos stop playing, i can even plug it while a video is running and it'll free until I unplug it. The USB Audio works for like 100ms when you switch to it, like if you've got a song playing, you listen to it for a brief moment and then it dies. you can repeat this if you switch between audio outputs.

I can't think of anything else to try... Would trying clover make any difference? I'm downloading the big sur updater... My last resort would be moving to a vm but i really don't want to do that again.

. Thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

ckrueger99

AMD OS X Member
Hello there. So i've been running a 3900x + x570 Aorus ultra for quite a while now and I found a 5950x in stock nearby and went for it. I did the bios update for my board to support it, changed the CPU and booted. Stuck in Apple logo. Eventually I found only 2 quicks that got it to boot from someone that had the same issue with another x570 board. My onboard audio has always crackled (which i hear is a common issue with Ryzen) with this motherboard and since I didn't want to bother fixing it every update, I had just gotten Corsair Void Pro headphones and they worked perfectly. Now after the update, they are still detected, but no sound comes out. I've tried flipping all bios settings related to USB but nothing changed. All my ports work fine. I'm ashamed to say that I've been running hackintoshes for the last 8 years and I never bothered to map my ports. I don't think it's the issue since like i said, all my ports work fine.
Which if any of these symptoms occur with your board/cpu in windows?

fer662

AMD OS X Member

fluffyguy

AMD OS X Member
I have the exact same problem. Was using 3900X and swapped it for a 5900X and updated BIOS on my B550 Aorus Pro motherboard to the version with AGESA v1.1.0.0 c. USB Audio doesn't work and prevents even videos from playing at all. When using a 3.5mm audio device, the sound crackles quite a bit but the videos do play.

Edit: Upgraded to Big Sur today hoping the issue will go away but nope, it's still there. I have the latest Kexts and Patches!

insomnia2k

AMD OS X Member
Things i've tried so far:
  • Updated OpenCore and all kexts
  • All USB ports
  • Switching SMBIOS (was macpro 1,1)
  • i made the usb mapping, made no difference.
  • I tried the default AMD mapping
  • I updated kexts
  • Tried HDMI/Display port audio, also crackle
  • Tried onboard sound again, with all layouts. All that work, crackle
  • Disabled XMP
  • Disabled onboard audio (bios setting)
  • Removing my secondary nVIDIA GPU that i use for windows.
  • Disabling some USB controllers from bios
  • Another crappy USB Audio dongle
  • Disabled Cool'n'Quiet
  • Changed PCI-E version to 3.0
Also i noticed something super crazy. Plugging the usb headphones makes the videos stop playing, i can even plug it while a video is running and it'll free until I unplug it. The USB Audio works for like 100ms when you switch to it, like if you've got a song playing, you listen to it for a brief moment and then it dies. you can repeat this if you switch between audio outputs.

I can't think of anything else to try... Would trying clover make any difference? I'm downloading the big sur updater... My last resort would be moving to a vm but i really don't want to do that again.

. Thoughts appreciated!

Hey guys,
im running Big Sur with a 5800X on a X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI with the latest BIOS and im getting the same errors...

Cracking and slowish audio via bluetooth and via USB Headset the sound/video either stops playing at all or the video is playing ultra fast w/o audio.

fer662

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys,
im running Big Sur with a 5800X on a X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI with the latest BIOS and im getting the same errors...

Cracking and slowish audio via bluetooth and via USB Headset the sound/video either stops playing at all or the video is playing ultra fast w/o audio.
I'm already out of stuff to try. Shaneee says it might be a TSC problem and that he'd try to look into it during the week. I'm happy to make a bounty pot to get back my sound.

fer662

AMD OS X Member
BTW this was fixed by a change in OpenCore last night!

clinthaus

AMD OS X Member
BTW this was fixed by a change in OpenCore last night!
Hi @fer662 !

I have the same problem with my asus b550-i motherboard. (with a 5880x too)
The sound is cracking and Im getting crazy to solve it!

Everiything else works perfect.

Any idea to fix the audio problem?

Thanks!!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

gmork

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@gmork No loss. That's the true macOS performance. Because the clocks were out of sync it was falsely reporting TSC etc thus giving incorrect scores. Similar thing on my 2400G when I hardcoded the wrong FSB speed and macOS thought I had a 6.4GHz CPU and blew up on benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.