Solved USB accessories using too much power

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For the first time I tried to use the USB 3 hub on my monitor (LG GN27950). Used extension USB 3 cable to extend the one that came with my monitor and plugged into one of the ports on ASRock X570 ITX/TB3.

At first it worked but few seconds in a notification appeared that I need to unplug USB accessories that use too much power. I assume the monitor hub is drawing power but I am not sure how to proceed fixing this.

1. Maybe not all ports are equal on the motherboard?
2. Are extension cable the issue?
3. Anything else..?

Port mapping (done a year ago, no other issues with ports at all). USBX SSDT is present and charging devices directly through ports works fine.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I saw this on the that board a couple of times too, but never again after I've switched to the Strix X570-I

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I saw this on the that board a couple of times too, but never again after I've switched to the Strix X570-I
You're making me spend more money, eh..?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Port mapping (done a year ago, no other issues with ports at all). USBX SSDT is present and charging devices directly through ports works fine.

Did you include the monitor ports in the map?

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you include the monitor ports in the map?
Ehm...no.

Should I..?
I assumed they are considered as external hub which does not need to be mapped.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure but it may be worth a shot. Have you tried clearing the NVRAM?

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I re-read Apple's support document on this issue, which lists extension cables as potential culprit. It could not be too much power drawn, as monitor has its own power thus it's pretty much guaranteed that monitor hub has its own power and it's not trying to charge itself from the PC's USB port.

I then managed to move my PC closer to the monitor (given the setup I have, this was not possible at first) and try without the extension cable – used just the USB 3 cable LG supplies – and it seems that things...work.
  • Keyboard K1 (which is Bluetooth based) works in cable mode and it's also charging fine.
  • External 2.5in HDD is powered fine and worked through TimeMachine backup.
As they say – not all cables are equal. Something in the adapter connection of the USB-A extender is not behaving or reporting as macOS expects it too.

Now I need to find good USB 3.0 type-B to type-A cable of 3m length and restore my office setup :)

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.