Upgrade from Catalina

Jayc3Ca0

AMD OS X Member
Hi community. Did anyone upgrade from Catalina 10.15.7 successfully? I just tried to upgrade, but when the first reboot occurred, it got stuck at the login UI. And the disk had no read/write operation.
BTW, I'm using OpenCore 0.5.9.

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
I am currently downloading the 12GB update and going to attempt it myself. I am on Opencore 6.3. I suspect we might have to change some kexts? or .plist settings? im not sure.

Jayc3Ca0

AMD OS X Member
I am currently downloading the 12GB update and going to attempt it myself. I am on Opencore 6.3. I suspect we might have to change some kexts? or .plist settings? im not sure.
I just finished the upgrade. OC 0.5.9 doesn't support Big Sur, so I upgrade it to 0.6.3 and related kexts and everything went well. Just follow the guide of OC. Good luck to you!

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
With 0.6.3, I didn't have to do anything between a clean install of Catalina and upgrade to Big Sur. Apply the new AMD patches to the config.plist to be sure (I don't recall if those are incorporated into 0.6.3 or are standalone).

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm building a Big Sur installer to test. Are the Big Sur experimental patches (are they still considered such?) backwards compatible with Catalina? I'm not quite ready to upgrade but would like to prepare the groundwork. edit I might be overlooking something obvious, but I created the installer by downloading Big Sur Final from the App Store, formatting a big enough usb stick then use the

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BigSurInst

command to write it (succesfully). However, it only contains one single partition, no EFI it seems. Will try making it again, but it completed with no errors first time around.

EDIT
D'oh. An easily overlooked mistake: don't format the usb drive with the (default) Master Boot Record but set it to GUID.

Last edited:

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
I just finished the upgrade. OC 0.5.9 doesn't support Big Sur, so I upgrade it to 0.6.3 and related kexts and everything went well. Just follow the guide of OC. Good luck to you!
ok so doing the update naturally from catalina resulted in a kernel panic or so it seemed I did not give it much time. Just going to enable verbose and see if where it is hanging im already on open core 6.3.

Update : update fails. I am gonna follow the guide like you suggested any links on how to get BIg Sur to work with open core?

Update 2 : so after reading the guide for Big Sur Open Core, all i did was update my config.plist with the experimental patches and everything updates im on Big Sur 11 now let me do some testing to see what works but im booted and working so far all my apps still here.

Attachments

• B1303218-3BA6-42A2-896B-AD914AF27A44.jpeg
    B1303218-3BA6-42A2-896B-AD914AF27A44.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.