Updating OC/Kexts, why would I?

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
Being new to the whole hackintosh thingy, this is a question for the veterans around here: How frequently do you update your systems in regards to OC and Kexts?

I am pretty happy with my current build, everything is working fine (and I mean: exceptionally fine, this is as stable as it can be, no problems whatsoever) except the usual stuff like sleep, so I don't really see the need to update anything right now. It'll just take a lot of time and there always is a chance to screw something up in the process, so I am wondering how to go about this?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

savage001

AMD OS X Member
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Or
Fix it til it’s broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Or
Fix it til it’s broke.

Shouldn't you build your first Ryzentosh before answering this? ;)

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Shouldn't you build your first Ryzentosh before answering this? ;)

Most likely but the same rule surely applies to intel / AMD

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Being new to the whole hackintosh thingy, this is a question for the veterans around here: How frequently do you update your systems in regards to OC and Kexts?

I am pretty happy with my current build, everything is working fine (and I mean: exceptionally fine, this is as stable as it can be, no problems whatsoever) except the usual stuff like sleep, so I don't really see the need to update anything right now. It'll just take a lot of time and there always is a chance to screw something up in the process, so I am wondering how to go about this?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

I will give you one example. I had built my ryzentosh with OC 0.5.8.
I was trying to make my boot gui with a graphical interface (i.e. to change the text options to icons with the resources folder etc.).
There was no way I could do that with OC 0.5.8, I had to update to OC 0.5.9

Also, in a previous Hackintosh build I made, I updated from Mojave to Catalina and got a black screen. I turned out I had to update the whatevergreen and lilu kexts to the most recent ones, otherwise my AMD GPU was not working properly.

So, I suppose when you don't plan to make any changes to the system or any updates, it may work fine as it is. But when an update comes or you need to make changes, you may be forced to update the boot loader and kexts to make it work.

You can always get a backup of your system (either just the EFI folder, or even a time machine backup) before making any changes, just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.