Update Directly to Big Sur from within Catalina

SkuPa

AMD OS X Member
Just want to share my experience how I updated to Big Sur directly from Catalina, like a regular Mac.
I have not seen many tutorials to do that, so maybe this can help someone.
I followed Tony´s guide ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-big-sur.304629/ ), but it is more for the Clover users.

I'm using Algrey's original patch for GPU.
Check that config.plist is for sure ok.

Make EFI folder with all necessary files.
I made usb stick with Big Sur EFI folder and booted from it just to test that everything was working.
It was all OK, so I mounted EFI of my system and replaced EFI folder to new OC 0.6.4 EFI folder.
I booted back into my system and started the update process. It took some 35min and 4 boots.
Every boot went smooth and I did not need to do anything.

So far everything is working fine and all the apps that was working in Catalina is working in Big Sur. If you have some important apps that you need to work with, it's better to look for information if they are working in BS.

My system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
RAM: DDR4-3000 32GB (2x16GB)
Graphics: SAPPHIRE RX580 Pulse 8GB
SSD: Kingston A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe 1TB
Wi-Fi/BT: Fenvi T919

kexts:
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement
AppleALC
Lilu
RealtekRTL8111
SMCAMDProcessor
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen

ACPI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml

Attachments

• EFI BigSur OC064.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

juniorz

AMD OS X Member
I'm confused by the text on Github now. Which version of the patch should I use for the Big Sur? I notice the stable version also supports 11.x now. So do we still need to use the experimental patches to install/upgrade to Big Sur?

juniorz

AMD OS X Member
I'm confused by the text on Github now. Which version of the patch should I use for the Big Sur? I notice the stable version also supports 11.x now. So do we still need to use the experimental patches to install/upgrade to Big Sur?
NVM, I figure it out. The stable version works for Big Sur.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Just want to share my experience how I updated to Big Sur directly from Catalina, like a regular Mac.
I have not seen many tutorials to do that, so maybe this can help someone.
I followed Tony´s guide ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-big-sur.304629/ ), but it is more for the Clover users.

I'm using Algrey's original patch for GPU.
Check that config.plist is for sure ok.

Make EFI folder with all necessary files.
I made usb stick with Big Sur EFI folder and booted from it just to test that everything was working.
It was all OK, so I mounted EFI of my system and replaced EFI folder to new OC 0.6.4 EFI folder.
I booted back into my system and started the update process. It took some 35min and 4 boots.
Every boot went smooth and I did not need to do anything.

So far everything is working fine and all the apps that was working in Catalina is working in Big Sur. If you have some important apps that you need to work with, it's better to look for information if they are working in BS.

My system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
RAM: DDR4-3000 32GB (2x16GB)
Graphics: SAPPHIRE RX580 Pulse 8GB
SSD: Kingston A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe 1TB
Wi-Fi/BT: Fenvi T919

kexts:
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement
AppleALC
Lilu
RealtekRTL8111
SMCAMDProcessor
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen

ACPI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
Anyone tried with shaneee's experimental patches?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone tried with shaneee's experimental patches?

The experimental patches are merged into the master branch. The only difference is the addition of the original PAT patch being the default. Only the 15h/16h patches are different in the experimental branch.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.