Unable to change install Language

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There is an entry at the bottom of the config.plist - UEFI > Quirks > ReleaseUSBOwnership, which is set as Enabled/True. This could be toggled to Disabled/False to see if that helps with your USB ports.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.39.17.png UEFI > Quirks > ReleaseUSBOwnership

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ed, That seems to have worked, all the ports on the rear are working but they don't show up in Hackintool

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Good to hear that.

Hackintool is primarily Intel focused, with some Fresco Logic and ASMedia ports showing. Most old AMD USB chipset ports don't show in Hackintool, until a USB configuration has been created.

I tried mapping the USB ports on my FX system with Hackintool, it wasn't fun and didn't work.

USBMap is better option for old AMD systems, but even that has its limitations.

IORegistryExplorer shows the ports when a USB device is connected, even if Hackintool doesn't. This is a more cumbersome way to discover the USB ports, but it works. I tried creating a USBMap.kext, the process was fine, the kext wasn't, even with the correct connector type set for each port.

So I added a Fresco Logic USB3 (Type-A & internal 19-pin header) card to my setup (£17 on eBay). I use the 5 x ports from the PCIe card, have the case front USB3 port connected to the 19-pin header and use the 4 x built-in ASMedia USB3 ports on the motherboard. I just ignore the USB2 ports, as they only work at USB1.1 speed. They only work with a Mouse/Keyboard or Webcam they are useless for anything else.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Ok thanks for that info. Thanks for all your help on this setup.

Last edited:

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ed, Back again. im trying to install Big Sur using the EFI im currently running Catalina with "0.8.1" But unfortunately I get a KP. what do I need to do for it to be compatible with Big Sur
Heres a screenshot, I tried uploading an image but it fails so attached as a file..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-27 17-06-58.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-27 17-06-58.png
    479.5 KB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If you are using a USB pen drive for the installation of Big Sur, try a different USB port, as the error shown in the image above is USB related.

I would expect the EFI to work in Big Sur if you have it working for Catalina.

Assumptions:
  1. You have not changed the SMBIOS data, and the SMBIOS you are using is compatible with Big Sur.
  2. You have SecureBootModel set as 'Disabled'. This can be changed to 'Default' once you have Big Sur installed and are no longer using Catalina.
  3. MinDate and MinVersion entries are set for Catalina.
  4. Everything else should be as you set it to run Catalina.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
I've checked my .plist and the SecureBootModel is set to Disabled, Min Date and Min Version are set to "0" and I didn't change the SMBIOS or the DATA. EDIT - I've looked on the Dortania website and my SMBIOS is correct for a AMD machine running NVIDIA GPU and I've changed the SMBIOS DATA

Last edited:

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
I've tried every port on the rear of the motherboard and still get stuck before the install but it has progressed one line. Does this mean anything different. Attached is a screenshot..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-31 21-33-19.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-31 21-33-19.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, it just shows another USB error.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Ok

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.