Trying out Hackintoshing a Ryzen Laptop

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has successfully tried to install OS X on a Zen+/Zen 2 laptop with a discrete Radeon GPU?
Until now there has only been the MSI Alpha model with a 3700H/4800H with the RX 5500M that seemed like the only sensible option, but now Dell is releasing the G5 SE with Renoir (Ryzen 4000) and the RX 5600M and the Alienware version has an RX 5700M.
Is anyone considering buying one of these machines to try OS X compatibility on them? I would be interested if you were and if you have one what your experiences are. These models seem the best candidates for the job! 😀

UPDATE: I noticed the new Alienware laptop that has Radeon GPUs only offers the 5500M :( and on top of that it only uses Intel CPUs. So yeah I‘m pinning my hopes on the G5 SE as the MSI Alpha seems to be a bust (I’m referring to the TechTeamGB scandal).
But I‘m looking forward nonetheless to your success stories!

Last edited:

3pod

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

I have same question. Wife's MacBook Pro seems to be on last legs. Was looking at this:

Dell G5 15 SE Gaming Laptop

Seems to have great specs, reviews etc. I've currently a x570 system with a R7 3700 running great. Wondering if how much harder it would be to get the laptop working.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I know of one user who had success but someone else with the same model couldn't get it to work. I can't remember the users name though.

agent2

Donator
Donator
@Shaneee probably the weird-factor here is smart shift messing with the CPU/GPU connection or communication. But that should not be the limiting factor.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.