TRX40/THREADRIPPER 3000 RYZENTOSH WITH THUNDERBOLT 3 IN QEMU/VM?

agent2

Donator
Donator
This was an old post I wrote on the old forum which didn't gain any traction though, don't know why:

Hey there,

I was thinking a lot about Threadripper Hackintoshes and the inability of the Zen 2 TRs of running OS X (for now), and it came to me: Could you run OS X in a VM (be it Linux with QEMU 3.1 or newer, or Windows and VMWare) like some TRX40 owners are and pass through a Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge card like on the Gigabyte TRX40 boards? Those are currently the only TRX40 boards with a 5-pin Thunderbolt header.
Does my theory bear any fruit bearing in mind the current situation of TB3 on Ryzen (no hot-plug )?
PS: Displays like the Pro Display XDR can even be powered on TR via TB3, I think Max Tech on YouTube got this running on Windows with HDR and 10-bit colour.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I would assume it's possible with QEMU and pass through. I've not got any experience with QEMU though. Join the Discord server with the invite link in the menu bar at the top of the forum.

ftln

AMD OS X Member
Whats the issue with running ZEN 2 TR ?

I see some youtuber has it up and running (unless she/he is talking out of their rear end) :

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah that's in a QEMU environment. So the CPU is being masked etc.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Whats the issue with running ZEN 2 TR ?

I see some youtuber has it up and running (unless she/he is talking out of their rear end) :

Yeah that's good to know that it works in general but she used an ASRock TRX40 Creator which sadly doesn't have any Thunderbolt support.
I just wanted to know if one could pass through a Titan Ridge AIC on an e. g. Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and get it working just like any normal PCIe card pass-through?

Deleted member 473

AMD OS X Member
Yeah that's good to know that it works in general but she used an ASRock TRX40 Creator which sadly doesn't have any Thunderbolt support.
I just wanted to know if one could pass through a Titan Ridge AIC on an e. g. Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and get it working just like any normal PCIe card pass-through?
Hi
I do not know what @Shaneee means when he says "CPU is being masked" but you can find actual research on Thunderbolt in trx40 designare:
link
you can also find a detailed guide to try Proxmox Ve /OSX installation
If you will have success you will have a pretty vanilla Hackintosh on an impossible system to hack ;)
At full performance (only 2/3 % less than a Windows system
Pro:
No problems with any app (ie Adobe suite, DaVinci resolve)
Contro:
A bit tricky (not so much) to configure

For now it is the only way to have the most powerful type of CPU working in OSX :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.24.02.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.24.02.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.23.32.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.23.32.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 10

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@fabiosun You'll need a second graphics card for virtualization or is there now a simple guide to do it with only one GPU installed?

Deleted member 473

AMD OS X Member
@fabiosun You'll need a second graphics card for virtualization or is there now a simple guide to do it with only one GPU installed?
I did with only my GFX in signature
You may need in initial step of another PC or a tablet to do some steps (for me not necessary) but it also depends from hardware you have
You can find my guide following previous link!

agent2

Donator
Donator
Well if someone can get a Gigabyte TRX40 mobo with a TB3 card working in a OS X VM (or natively!) I'd be delighted to know!

CoderStone

AMD OS X Member
From what I know, it works using an ASRock TRX40 Creator, I can't find it anymore but someone managed to even hook up an eGPU using the Titan Ridge, slight troubleshooting but they managed to get semi-hot plug working.

agent2

Donator
Donator
From what I know, it works using an ASRock TRX40 Creator, I can't find it anymore but someone managed to even hook up an eGPU using the Titan Ridge, slight troubleshooting but they managed to get semi-hot plug working.
I think word on the street is that ASRock got bullied by Intel with TRX40 because of Thunderbolt just like Gigabyte was with Rev. 1.0 X570. Even though Thunderbolt is royalty-free now Intel is still using their clout to keep TB support on their platforms. That's why Rev. 1.0 GB X570 boards had the solder points for the header but didn't feature it. I think Gigabyte only got away with adding TB headers on TRX40 because the named the header Gigabyte Add-In card/THB_C connector instead of advertising the name Thunderbolt.
That's also the reason why there was a TB section in the Gigabyte BIOS on X570 though there was no header and one could add the card with just shorting the pins. I think that's also going to be the case on ASRock TRX40.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.