Thunderbolt on AMD TRX40?

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
MY PC:
Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.1/1.2)
AMD Threadripper 3970
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Dual Thunderbolt 3 PCIe-Card

I managed to install Big Sur and everything works exept Thunderbolt.

As soon as I plug in the Cable from the Thunderbolt Card to the HEADER on the Motherboard, the PC fails to boot into macOS.
If I disconnect the Cable from the header, the PC boots without problem - however then there is no more Thunderbolt Menu in the BIOS , if the Cable is disconnected.

Can anybody tell me on how to approach the Thunderbolt installation?

Do I need a flashed Thunderbolt Card?
Do I have to connect the card to the Header on the Motherboard?

Thanks for any help.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
MY PC:
Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.1/1.2)
AMD Threadripper 3970
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Dual Thunderbolt 3 PCIe-Card

I managed to install Big Sur and everything works exept Thunderbolt.

As soon as I plug in the Cable from the Thunderbolt Card to the HEADER on the Motherboard, the PC fails to boot into macOS.
If I disconnect the Cable from the header, the PC boots without problem - however then there is no more Thunderbolt Menu in the BIOS , if the Cable is disconnected.

Can anybody tell me on how to approach the Thunderbolt installation?

Do I need a flashed Thunderbolt Card?
Do I have to connect the card to the Header on the Motherboard?

Thanks for any help.
Yes, like any motherboard with Thunderbolt support that is what you have to do (add the header). After installation before you boot into macOS you also need to enable it in the BIOS first (it will pop up if BIOS is working properly). Make sure it also has any power cables connected or DP throughput cables added going from the .

If you want the full functionalities of the card, yes ideally you do have to flash the ROM. But you can also install this Thunderbolt SSDT for the TRX40

Btw CaseySJ has an excellent guide on Thunderbolt card flashing in the first page of this thread. Look under 'Mini Guides for Flashing SPI ROM chips'

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your input and help 🙂

I have Thunderbolt up and running. Everything works fine now.
I installed the SSDT-DTPG.aml into the ACPI Folder of Opencore.
I have no TB3xxxx.aml in the ACPI Folder just the SSDT-DTPG and the SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
I disconnected the Header Cable from the Mainboard Header but left it in the GC Titan Ridge Card. USB and Power cables are connected to the Mainboard and the TB Card
I did not short PINS 3 and 5, and: it is a regular GC Titan Ridge PCIe Card - no Custom Firmware, no flashing.

I do not have hotplug on the Thunderbolt Audiointerface. I will take care of that later by checking out the TB3xxx.aml on Hackindrom

On a personal note, I try to avoid tonymacx86. I never found any working instructions or answers there. Basically the should shut down that website because it is not helping.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.