Solved The weirdest **** happened to me.

agent2

Donator
Donator
UPDATE:

I tested my iPad now with my computer and yes, Handoff is up and OK. Maybe not as snappy as a real Mac, but it's there.
Wow do I feel stupid for thinking that it had something to do with the GPU. Well I guess my doubts about the AirportItlwm kext were higher than my own common sense to try out everything and troubleshoot with my devices before posting on this forum.

Original Post:

Ehhm hello everybody,

so this is a weird one.

I just recently acquired a new RX 6900XT reference model from AMD and this version comes with a VirtualLink USB-C port with DP1.4.
Naturally on you can also use this port to fast charge devices, or attach normal USB peripherals.
So what I did is that I took my iPhone 8 and used my USB-C to Lightning cable to see if it gets recognized in macOS Big Sur.

What happened is a total mystery to me.

So it starts charging my phone (at which wattage I’m not sure) and I check if it gets recognized by the OS.
No it doesn‘t.

So I open my browser (it‘s Brave Browser, I use the nightly release on the desktop) and start surfing when I noticed my dock. It shows me browsing the web on my phone, true Handoff style. It opened the tab I had open on my phone. Same went for Safari. And Notes.

This is truly confusing. I don‘t have native Handoff support, as I use my Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. But as soon as I connect my phone to my graphics card, it handoffs my phone, even though it doesn‘t read it through the OS.
Can someone verify this with their RDNA2 graphics card and iOS devices? This would be a really weird situation that makes no sense to me as a Hackintosh amateur.

Thanks for reading and your attention!

Please discuss and post your hunches about this!

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have the same RX 6900 XT, USB does not seem to work on the USB-C port, might be DP only...

Airportitlwm does in fact support Handoff on Intel Wifi, but not yet AirDrop or other features.

agent2

Donator
Donator
I have the same RX 6900 XT, USB does not seem to work on the USB-C port, might be DP only...

Airportitlwm does in fact support Handoff on Intel Wifi, but not yet AirDrop or other features.
Well I haven‘t seen any Handoff functionality on my system until now, I have my iPad and iPhone close to my computer a lot of the time and I haven‘t seen any sort of Handoff stuff pop up on my dock in macoOS.
This has only happened to my phone, and only when it was plugged directly into my GPU.
And when I was on OC0.6.1 and on an older version of AirportItlwm, Handoff briefly appeared sometimes, but it was only sporadically and the functionality was kinda garbled, and that‘s why I always had Wi-Fi disabled.

So yeah maybe it‘s only my system doing hula-hoops, or the GPU is fucking with my phone and my computer because Handoff has worked really nicely, st least for my phone, as the iPad never shows up.

But for my own sanity‘s sake, I will check all my devices and try to test Handoff, with cables and without, and with both devices.
But that‘s all I have to say for now. ;)

Cheers!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.