[SUCCESS] Ryzen 9 3900X, ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII Formula, PowerColor RX 5700XT Red Devil, OC 0.5.9., macOS 10.15.6

agent2

Donator
Donator
May 3, 2020
Somewhere over the Rainbow
My build:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

- Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

- GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700XT Red Devil

- RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver

- SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4

- CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum

- PSU: Corsair AX850

- Case: Corsair Crystal 680X

OpenCore V0.5.9 - will update to 0.6.0 when I know how to do that efficiently, maybe even use the debug version

All of it on macOS 10.15.6.

SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

Kexts used:
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
  • IntelBluetoothInjector.kext
  • itlwmx.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
  • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext

What works:

• Intel Wi-Fi (yes it does, but only on 2,4GHz/5GHz @ 20MHz, which is slow)
→ Use Heliport app to manage (find on GitHub where itlwmx kext is)
  • Intel Bluetooth works and is manageable via the IntelBluetoothInjector.kext.
  • My internal NVMe SSD shows up as external but got it to work via the little config.plist tweak that was posted on Reddit, no silly kext needed
  • iServices (across the board, it’s no problem for now)
  • My Logitech peripherals (as they should with the corresponding drivers): G502 Lightspeed & G513 Carbon (Romer-G Tactile)

What doesn’t work:

• Aquantia AQC111C 5Gbit Ethernet NIC, which pisses me off as I bought this board for the shit-ton of USB ports and the fast networking, I have asked the AMD-OSX gurus multiple times for a fix but no answer until now.
  • Optical audio is set default at maximum volume (not changeable, maybe change alcid)
  • Handoff, AirDrop, all the cool shit the Broadcom cards can do on macOS
  • When I connect my headphones (front panel) to the PC, the internal speaker volume control vanishes, like what happens on iMacs. I find it really annoying and need to change the alcid to hopefully fix that

Work in progress:
  • Sleep (need to follow the guide)
  • USB mapping (Front 2x Type A are 3.0 but show up as 2.0; Rear USB 3.0 controller doesn’t show up at all)
  • I still need to manually create my SSDT-EC-USBX.aml because I’m still living off my SSDT-EC.aml

Please feel free to ask me any questions! I will update this post as I advance in the Hackintosh profession! Maybe I'll add some photos later as well...

t968rs

Aug 26, 2020
I really want to create a build based around the Crosshair. It seems like it would be a hard one though, with all those separate port/hub controllers. Have you figured out the stuff that doesn't work? I am particularly interested in USB functionality and sleep.

agent2

Donator
Donator
May 3, 2020
I really want to create a build based around the Crosshair. It seems like it would be a hard one though, with all those separate port/hub controllers. Have you figured out the stuff that doesn't work? I am particularly interested in USB functionality and sleep.
Yeah I loved the Crosshair VIII series from the start because ASUS was the only AIB with so many USB ports and connectivity.
I think that some of my USB controllers aren’t being picked up by macOS because I still haven’t made my custom SSDT-EC-USBX.aml yet. But right now all my 10Gbit rear USB ports are being picked up and the front USB-A is only USB 2.0 for some reason.
To be honest I bought this board just for the stupid amount of features present (and the cool OLED diagnostic screen ;)). But you would be better off buying the Hero (if you preferred the ATX Crosshairs) because the 2,5Gbit LAN us compatible with macOS (via a kext) and the 5Gbit LAN doesn’t work at all in macOS (which I just didn’t foresee).
But otherwise I’ll write more as I improve the USB port situation and sleep. But I love that board and I only bought it because I wanted to get a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Xtreme Rev.1.1 for full Thunderbolt support. But as I was impatient and wasn’t able to get one I just got the Formula for like a 60€ discount from 595€. But I’m having fun and that’s really the point!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluveitie

agent2

Donator
Donator
May 3, 2020
Or if you like, you can also buy the Formula and both of us can pester the brilliant Hackintosh minds behind the community to develop a kext for those Formula, Maximus XI Formula, Maximus XII Hero and this Prime X299-Deluxe owners! You can look around the forum and find the various attempts I’ve made to get support for that 5Gbit NIC. :) But as the saying goes: The more the merrier!

meteoro

Sep 9, 2020
Hello @agent2 , how are you?

I found your post from search in google... i have same hardware config except for processor (3950x) and GPU (RX 580).

I remap USB, use NVMeFix, follow guide... but i need:

• Sleep fix
• Bluetooth with IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext not locate any device

Have you had any progress in making sleep work? How detect devices with this kext for Bluetooth?

Many, many thanks!