OS: Catalina 10.15.5 w/supplemental update. OpenCore 0.5.9

System Specifications:
AMD Ryzen 3700X
CoolerMaster ML360 AIO Cpu water cooler
MSI MEG X570 ACE Motherboard
MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X GPU
16Gb Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 3200mhz DDR4
Samsing 960 EVO 512Gb NVME SSD (Mac OS)
Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate STDM001 3Tb Mechanical hard drive
Fenvi 1200 Mini PCIE Broadcom chipped WiFI/Bluetooth (for mac os compatibility, Replaces stock intel suppled with mobo).
Lian Li PCO11 Dynamic case

What works:
iServices
Handoff
Continuity
Apple Watch Unlock
Siri
Audio (either by Audio onboard motherboard, or over display port)*
Sleep
Hardware Graphic Accelleration

* I have not tested the microphone input, I know my webcam (logitech) works from previous attempts at getting this working, but it has been loaned to a friend for Zoom purposes.

Bios Settings: The usual, XCHI handoff on, VT-D off etc, but also set the PCI-E lanes to x3, not auto (which will pick x4, and cause random 5 second freezes).

Installation is a pain. Two sticks must be created. After the first part of install, the "5700 XT Crash Avoidance stick" must be used to boot until "MacOS Installer" disappears from the open core boot picker. The other options is to substitute an RX4XX or 5XX card to complete phase 2 and 3 of installation. This is because NAVI cards crash the 10.15.5 (and supplemental update) installers in the second and third phase.

Apart from the few niggles on install, the machine runs great. I use it as my daily driver, and keep my macbook pro for what it is meant to be, my portable!

Righto - the EFI is attached. Remember you'll need to fill in the serial info using GenSMBios. You will also need to disable USBPorts.kext in config.plist. Then generate your own suitable for your machine using Hackintool. I have even made the boot picker use the graphical chooser in leiu of the text based one, due to the fact the texts appears TINY on a 4k display :)

Remember to create two usb sticks, one with the boot-args "-wegnoegpu" and "-v" for stage 2 and 3 of the install.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: luinx

vk2emp

May 17, 2020
No, but what I do get is the occasional freeze - usually lasts for about 5 seconds. Only happens in Chrome, I can switch to other apps e.g. FCP or Mail, and work with them even while Chrome is hung up. Its not really an issue, as it only affects navigation - if I am watching a Youtube video for example, there is no freezing.

jwrandall

May 15, 2020
OS: Catalina 10.15.5 w/supplemental update. OpenCore 0.5.9

Bios Settings: The usual, XCHI handoff on, VT-D off etc, but also set the PCI-E lanes to x3, not auto (which will pick x4, and cause random 5 second freezes).

Installation is a pain. Two sticks must be created. After the first part of install, the "5700 XT Crash Avoidance stick" must be used to boot until "MacOS Installer" disappears from the open core boot picker. The other options is to substitute an RX4XX or 5XX card to complete phase 2 and 3 of installation. This is because NAVI cards crash the 10.15.5 (and supplemental update) installers in the second and third phase.

Apart from the few niggles on install, the machine runs great. I use it as my daily driver, and keep my macbook pro for what it is meant to be, my portable!

Righto - the EFI is attached. Remember you'll need to fill in the serial info using GenSMBios. You will also need to disable USBPorts.kext in config.plist. Then generate your own suitable for your machine using Hackintool. I have even made the boot picker use the graphical chooser in leiu of the text based one, due to the fact the texts appears TINY on a 4k display :)

Remember to create two usb sticks, one with the boot-args "-wegnoegpu" and "-v" for stage 2 and 3 of the install.
I did a bad thing this morning. I put in a navi card (5700) and I can't boot up. Screen stays dark at the end of the Apple logo. I was using a Radeon VII 16G and that worked fine. I assume it's the navi card problem. I thought that since you have a 5700 I could substitute your EFI (posted by you) and see what happens but that didn't work at all. It doesn't even get started. My USB installer doesn't work either. I am not using it to install anything just boot up.
Any suggestions? I don't know what to do for the navi card. Windows 10 works fine.
BTW, I love your Graphical Picker. I'm keeping that.

GuessWhosBack

May 3, 2020
I did a bad thing this morning. I put in a navi card (5700) and I can't boot up. Screen stays dark at the end of the Apple logo. I was using a Radeon VII 16G and that worked fine. I assume it's the navi card problem. I thought that since you have a 5700 I could substitute your EFI (posted by you) and see what happens but that didn't work at all. It doesn't even get started. My USB installer doesn't work either. I am not using it to install anything just boot up.
Any suggestions? I don't know what to do for the navi card. Windows 10 works fine.
BTW, I love your Graphical Picker. I'm keeping that.
Do you have agdpmod=pikera in your boot-args? I had to add this after changing from my RX580 to my RX5700XT. I would also recommend building your own EFI .

jwrandall

May 15, 2020
Do you have agdpmod=pikera in your boot-args? I had to add this after changing from my RX580 to my RX5700XT. I would also recommend building your own EFI .
I used this for boot arg: keepsyms=1 npci=0x2000 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera
AND IT WORKS.
I also built my OC 5.9 USB from scratch.
Thanks for the advice though.

vk2emp

May 17, 2020
Yes best to create your own EFI folder for the sticks. By all means, use mine as a guide, but using this (for example) 3 months down the track means you'll get an outdated bootloader and kexts, and none of the leatest fixes that come with each opencore release.