Success: 3700X, MSI MEG X570 ACE, RX5700XT (now with OC 0.6.1 and Big Sur)

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
OS: Catalina 10.15.5 w/supplemental update. OpenCore 0.5.9

System Specifications:
AMD Ryzen 3700X
CoolerMaster ML360 AIO Cpu water cooler
MSI MEG X570 ACE Motherboard
MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X GPU
16Gb Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 3200mhz DDR4
Samsing 960 EVO 512Gb NVME SSD (Mac OS)
Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate STDM001 3Tb Mechanical hard drive
Fenvi 1200 Mini PCIE Broadcom chipped WiFI/Bluetooth (for mac os compatibility, Replaces stock intel suppled with mobo).
Lian Li PCO11 Dynamic case

What works:
iServices
Handoff
Continuity
Apple Watch Unlock
Siri
Audio (either by Audio onboard motherboard, or over display port)*
Sleep
Hardware Graphic Accelleration

* I have not tested the microphone input, I know my webcam (logitech) works from previous attempts at getting this working, but it has been loaned to a friend for Zoom purposes.

Bios Settings: The usual, XCHI handoff on, VT-D off etc, but also set the PCI-E lanes to x3, not auto (which will pick x4, and cause random 5 second freezes).

Catalina:
Installation is a pain. Two sticks must be created. After the first part of install, the "5700 XT Crash Avoidance stick" must be used to boot until "MacOS Installer" disappears from the open core boot picker. The other options is to substitute an RX4XX or 5XX card to complete phase 2 and 3 of installation. This is because NAVI cards crash the 10.15.5 (and supplemental update) installers in the second and third phase.

Big Sur:
The second stick is not nessecary, big sur installer does not crash when doing the second, third and fourth part of the install with a navi card. The EFI will be available later today (26/07//2020 - be aware I'm an Australian, so for some this may be tomorrow for you i.e. Yanks will find it appears on the 25th) - I am tidying it up and removing device properties that may not suit your configuration.

Apart from the few niggles on install, the machine runs great. I use it as my daily driver, and keep my macbook pro for what it is meant to be, my portable!

All EFI folders in this thread created by me have a graphical boot picker (opencanopy). This alliviates squinting at tiny text on higher resolution displays (4k, 5k). I have a 4k display and need to run it scaled in mac os to read it so you can imagine what its like for me reading the text picker on it! :)

Catalina Users:
Remember to create two usb sticks, one with the boot-args "-wegnoegpu" and "-v" for stage 2 and 3 of the install. This is only for people running Catalina. Big Sur does not need this.

Follow the post, I regularly update the EFI, but rather than replacing, I leave the older ones intact, so should a newer one bork your system, you can roll back. Check through the threads from the end back, for posts from me, when you see a new EFI attached, read the post, see what needs changing in bios, wether a bios update is needed, and what to do to config.plist/with kexts to get yourself up and running.

Issues fixed in latest EFI:
Micro freezes
Sleep fully working in big sur, along with ocasionally unlocking with apple watch
LSI 9211-8i working with 4 disks
To Do:
LSI 9212-4i4e SAS controller with an LTO5 tape drive and 4 Sata disks.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Do you experience any small mouse lag??

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
No, but what I do get is the occasional freeze - usually lasts for about 5 seconds. Only happens in Chrome, I can switch to other apps e.g. FCP or Mail, and work with them even while Chrome is hung up. Its not really an issue, as it only affects navigation - if I am watching a Youtube video for example, there is no freezing.

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
OS: Catalina 10.15.5 w/supplemental update. OpenCore 0.5.9

Bios Settings: The usual, XCHI handoff on, VT-D off etc, but also set the PCI-E lanes to x3, not auto (which will pick x4, and cause random 5 second freezes).

Installation is a pain. Two sticks must be created. After the first part of install, the "5700 XT Crash Avoidance stick" must be used to boot until "MacOS Installer" disappears from the open core boot picker. The other options is to substitute an RX4XX or 5XX card to complete phase 2 and 3 of installation. This is because NAVI cards crash the 10.15.5 (and supplemental update) installers in the second and third phase.

Apart from the few niggles on install, the machine runs great. I use it as my daily driver, and keep my macbook pro for what it is meant to be, my portable!

Righto - the EFI is attached. Remember you'll need to fill in the serial info using GenSMBios. You will also need to disable USBPorts.kext in config.plist. Then generate your own suitable for your machine using Hackintool. I have even made the boot picker use the graphical chooser in leiu of the text based one, due to the fact the texts appears TINY on a 4k display :)

Remember to create two usb sticks, one with the boot-args "-wegnoegpu" and "-v" for stage 2 and 3 of the install.
I did a bad thing this morning. I put in a navi card (5700) and I can't boot up. Screen stays dark at the end of the Apple logo. I was using a Radeon VII 16G and that worked fine. I assume it's the navi card problem. I thought that since you have a 5700 I could substitute your EFI (posted by you) and see what happens but that didn't work at all. It doesn't even get started. My USB installer doesn't work either. I am not using it to install anything just boot up.
Any suggestions? I don't know what to do for the navi card. Windows 10 works fine.
BTW, I love your Graphical Picker. I'm keeping that.

GuessWhosBack

AMD OS X Member
I did a bad thing this morning. I put in a navi card (5700) and I can't boot up. Screen stays dark at the end of the Apple logo. I was using a Radeon VII 16G and that worked fine. I assume it's the navi card problem. I thought that since you have a 5700 I could substitute your EFI (posted by you) and see what happens but that didn't work at all. It doesn't even get started. My USB installer doesn't work either. I am not using it to install anything just boot up.
Any suggestions? I don't know what to do for the navi card. Windows 10 works fine.
BTW, I love your Graphical Picker. I'm keeping that.

Do you have agdpmod=pikera in your boot-args? I had to add this after changing from my RX580 to my RX5700XT. I would also recommend building your own EFI .

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
Do you have agdpmod=pikera in your boot-args? I had to add this after changing from my RX580 to my RX5700XT. I would also recommend building your own EFI .
I used this for boot arg: keepsyms=1 npci=0x2000 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera
AND IT WORKS.
I also built my OC 5.9 USB from scratch.
Thanks for the advice though.

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Yes best to create your own EFI folder for the sticks. By all means, use mine as a guide, but using this (for example) 3 months down the track means you'll get an outdated bootloader and kexts, and none of the leatest fixes that come with each opencore release.

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Opencore 0.6.0 has been released. The following EFI contains a working OC 0.6.0 for this board

Serial number and MLB etc are redacted, use your own

USBPorts.kext is disabled, and the port limit patch is enabled. If you already have a working usbports.kext, drop it in and re-enable usbports.kext and disable the port limit patch, otherwise map your ports using Hackintool and then drop the freshly created USBports.kext into the kext folder, enable usbports.kext, and turn off the port limit patch.

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 42

pampas

AMD OS X Member
Hi vk2emp!! I've just use your EFI on my Mobo and it works perfectly for me. MSI Gaming Plus AC B450i.

I've just realized I don't have Bluetooth working. The icon is missing, what I don't understand is that on Catalina everything works !!!!

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Hi vk2emp!! I've just use your EFI on my Mobo and it works perfectly for me. MSI Gaming Plus AC B450i

Thanks a lot.
Very nice! Its pretty common for EFI's from the same board manufacturer and chipset to be cross compatible.

binauraloptions

AMD OS X Member
Very nice! Its pretty common for EFI's from the same board manufacturer and chipset to be cross compatible.
Hi vk2emp, thank you so much for providing both your files and instructions. What version of BIOS are you using?
Do you have SVM enabled? On the newer BIOS for this board it is by default.
Also when you say "PCI-E lanes to x3", do you mean set the "pci-e max link speed" to gen3?
My "Pcie lanes configuration" setting in BIOS only offers "auto" or "x4+x4".
Any help is greatly appreciated

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@binauraloptions That setting is for PCI Bifurcation. You should look for "PCIe slot configuration" or similar which allows to select Gen 3 as an option.

binauraloptions

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the reply @Aluveitie
Did you have to apply "gen3" for your board as well? Trying to figure out how I can still have SVM enabled and successfully boot OC 0.6.0.
I was able to have it enabled with 0.5.9 & 10.15.5 but am having difficulty with 0.6.0 and 10.15.6. Any ideas what to try?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I left the chipset at gen4 and never had any issues. Since my riser cable does not support gen4 I always had to set my GPU to gen3 so I can't really compare from my own experience.

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
pci-e max link speed

Yep this - I got the terminology mixed up.

My apologies for the slow reply. I've been troubleshooting getting big sur to install. I gave up and will wait till it is released by apple, and thus guides are available for me to follow.

binauraloptions

AMD OS X Member
@vk2emp No worries at all, I appreciate you getting back, this is an awesome community. I have a couple brief questions if you don't mind.
1. What BIOS version are you using? (I have the MSI MEG x570 ACE also)
2. Do you have SVM enabled?
3. Both a question and possible suggestion. Back when I was using OC 0.5.9 and MacOS 10.15.4, in the BIOS Settings\Advanced\Wake up Event Setup
Setting the wake event to "OS" instead of "BIOS" made sleep work for me, even with usb devices plugged in. Have you experimented with this? It seems "wake event by OS" is never really talked about with OC. Idk why. Is it taboo because it puts negligible overhead on cpu? idk

I got Big Sur to install but was too buggy for me, so reverted as well. I pretty much just used your EFI, took out all ACPI except the "SSDT-EC-USB-Unify", left that of course.
Removed the usb kext, removed the nvmefix kext, cleaned the config.plist with propertree, checked the config.plist with the sanity checker, it advised me to change 1 or two things, dont remember what now. I did the revisions, and Big Sur did install. We have near identical systems. same MB, I have a 5700 XT, mine's a sapphire pulse, and a 3950x.

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Where do I find SVM and what did you set yours to. I have the latest bios. (edit: checked bios, under OC, Advanced CPU Features). SVM is disabled.

Would you mind posting the revised EFI with your serials etc redacted?

When you reverted, did you keep the experimental AMD patches, or put the known stable ones back on.

I never got Big Sur to install, I'd like to give it a try with the EFI you used to get it going. Beta 5 has just been released, I am running it in a second APFS container on my macbook pro. So I can easily get the installer to try again, perhaps Beta 4 was just a bad build.

Anyway I tried setting the wake events to OS, and then put the computer to sleep. Waited 5 minutes then woke it successfully with the power button. Awesome, so then I went round the back to plug my webcam back in only to find it was already plugged in. I then plugged in my monitors hub. That worked too, with nothing plugged in. Next, lets try running the webcam through the monitors hub...

Sleep is working no matter what I have plugged in. I think we have cracked the AMD sleep issue!

I also swapped Above 4g decoding = enabled to disabled in bios, and added npci=0x2000.

This solves the freeze issues, and with opencore 6.1, enables something else...

Big Sur beta 5 now installs from usb from beginning to end!

I now need to finish up tidying up my EFI partition, and making a new one for you lot to use for installing both Catalina 10.15.6 and Big Sur 11b5.

I need to test big sur first to see whats working and whats not.

So far:

Working:
iServices (icloud, photos, iMessages, etc)
Bluetooth and Wifi
Sound
GPU Hardware Acceleration
AirDrop
Handoff
Continuity
Sleep

Not Working:
Apple Watch Unlock
Sidecar (not yet tested)

Last edited:

binauraloptions

AMD OS X Member
Hey sorry for the slow reply. I would totally help you out if I still had my EFI. Even though it installed, it was so buggy I trashed it.
I tried rebuilding another Big Sur USB a few hours ago using the same settings (I thought) as I did before, but can't seem to get all the way through installation now :confused:
I'll come back and post my EFI if I figure it out

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Hey sorry for the slow reply. I would totally help you out if I still had my EFI. Even though it installed, it was so buggy I trashed it.
I tried rebuilding another Big Sur USB a few hours ago using the same settings (I thought) as I did before, but can't seem to get all the way through installation now :confused:
I'll come back and post my EFI if I figure it out

No need - I have a working one, posting from it now. Everything works, even sleep!

I'll post it up once I've had some sleep. It'll be stripped of Serial/MLB/Rom etc, and have usbports.kext disabled. There are a few more checkes to do regarding bluetooth to try and get apple watch unlock working, other than that, it just needs a tidy up and it'll be ready to go.

I just wasted a sleep cycle as I stupidly had powernap turned on. Gues I'll be testing sleep again later. Found the computer fully lit up (yes it has a small smattering of RGB on the cooler fans and mobo) this morning when I got up.

This latest EFI requires that Above 4G encoding be disabled in bios. Also SVM can be enabled if you so desire.

It is tailored to Big Sur, but will install Catalina as well just fine. As usual you will need to pick and choose which kexts you use from the ones included, or add your own. Before installing, Either drop in your usbports.kext, or enable the port limit patch and disable usbports.kext. You will also need to populate the PlatformInfo sectio with your serial, MLB, Rom, and UUID.

All versions of files in this EFI are the latest versions, downloaded via kext updater and OC-Builder. As usual, it still retains the opencanopy graphical picker.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

J05u

AMD OS X Member
Wow, nice guide :) i managed to install also on my board long time ago, was unstable and i deleted :D
Can you please give me short guide how i can use you EFI for my second try?)
This is not just move EFI on the usb stick?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.