State of ryzentosh?

savage001

AMD OS X Member
My Skylake rig is starting to fail me so I’m thinking of switching to AMD but would like to know the state of hackintoshing AMD like what features do and don’t work like cpu Power management, audio etc..
I’m thinking about getting a gigabyte x570 gaming x and a ryzen 5 3600x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. There are some apps that don't work. Others need some patching like the Adobe apps.

CPU PM is a WIP, https://github.com/trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor

If you need to run VMs then only VBox will work on an AMD machine.

Audio works with AppleALC only the mic won't work for now.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know just ask.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
I could probably do a search but I’ll ask, has anyone used the specific motherboard and cpu I have chosen?
Or can anyone suggest a compatible motherboard that has 2 x m.2 slots?
I've always used Gigabyte boards in the past but not apposed to change.

Last edited:

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Based on some more research it appears the gigabyte X570 gaming x motherboard isn't very good so i would like thoughts on the gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra or it'c sibling the gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro WiFi

I am looking to pull the trigger on a purchase this weekend.

My current rig is a Gigabyte z170X gaming 5, i-7 6700K, 32Gb gskill ripjaws v 3200, 2 x samsung nvme, corsair rm850i PSU.

Current situating is pins got bent on the motherboard and one has broken so i can either replace the motherboard or switch to AMD and get a new CPU and motherboard as i believe the rest of my components will work with AMD.

Last edited:

charliebounce

AMD OS X Member
Based on some more research it appears the gigabyte X570 gaming x motherboard isn't very good so i would like thoughts on the gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra or it'c sibling the gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro WiFi

I am looking to pull the trigger on a purchase this weekend.

My current rig is a Gigabyte z170X gaming 5, i-7 6700K, 32Gb gskill ripjaws v 3200, 2 x samsung nvme, corsair rm850i PSU.

Current situating is pins got bent on the motherboard and one has broken so i can either replace the motherboard or switch to AMD and get a new CPU and motherboard as i believe the rest of my components will work with AMD.

At the moment, the X570 chipset motherboards are all having problems with sleep. They work perfectly and most things like Thunderbolt can work but they are difficult to put to sleep because of the well known USB issue. If I were you, I would wait a bit, maybe for the B550 chipset or until a solution is found for X570 problem.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
At the moment, the X570 chipset motherboards are all having problems with sleep. They work perfectly and most things like Thunderbolt can work but they are difficult to put to sleep because of the well known USB issue. If I were you, I would wait a bit, maybe for the B550 chipset or until a solution is found for X570 problem.

Sleep function I can live without, thunderbolt I don’t use. As long as USB works I’ll be fine. I just need a recommendation for motherboard out of the ones I listed. The gaming x apparently has bad audio alc887 vs alc1200

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Does iMessage / FaceTime work on ryzentosh?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Either of those two board should be fine, as far as I heard is Gigabyte a good choice for Hackintoshes. iMessage/FaceTime works fine if you follow the guides to set it up correctly

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I have 95% decided on the following:
Ryzen 5 3600 non x
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro WiFi
Corsair AMD AM4 Retention Bracket Kit for my Corsair AIO
And finally an inwin 101C mid Tower to replace my Corsair 760t full tower.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Ok so I have 95% decided on the following:
Ryzen 5 3600 non x
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro WiFi
Corsair AMD AM4 Retention Bracket Kit for my Corsair AIO
And finally an inwin 101C mid Tower to replace my Corsair 760t full tower.

What GPU are you going with? Do you already have one?

rdymond

AMD OS X Member
Hello. There are some apps that don't work. Others need some patching like the Adobe apps.

CPU PM is a WIP, https://github.com/trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor

If you need to run VMs then only VBox will work on an AMD machine.

Audio works with AppleALC only the mic won't work for now.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know just ask.
Hi Shaneee,

Audio input devices do not work at all currently? How about USB audio input from a USB audio device?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
USB or Bluetooth audio input would work.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
What GPU are you going with? Do you already have one?

I already have a Radeon RX580

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Which smbios would be best for the system I’m building?
Specs in previous post.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
One without an iGPU like iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1

djmartain

AMD OS X Member
My rig is pretty stable (see signature for details). I have some usb audio problems but that was fixed via a bios setting the GPU to PCIe 3.0. For the rest all is working fine with pure vanilla. Sleep don't care about. iServices worked from the start. Adobe apps i don't use and i must say: speed is pretty impressive.

I came from a i7 3770K hack that ran for 10 years without any problems (using el capitan). But to me, the new AMD build feels more stable. I'm glad i made the AMD choice as i also dual boot in windows and there things are even faster (partly due to NVMe M.2. SSD).

Just go for it! Had much more problems with getting things setup with intel than with this supereasy AMD build!

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Yeah I’m looking forward to the build and the setup, I think I’ll go with the MacPro7,1 smbios and see how I go. I’ve already got an OC folder ready to go after I finish the build. I’ll create a new thread somewhere for the build progress, setup etc.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
My new case arrived, still waiting on CPU and Motherboard.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
CPU and Motherboard arrived today, hopefully get the build done on the weekend.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
So I started the build today but it will be put on hold for a bit. I get no post and no boot. I think the motherboard is doa. Debug led stays on cpu, cannot update bios via q flash, motherboard powers on when psu turned on. Waiting to contact supplier.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.