State of ryzentosh?

savage001

AMD OS X Member
I don’t really want to spend another $500 on the same motherboard if I can’t get it warrantied, can anyone suggest a viable lower cost replacement with 2 x m.2 slots? For my R5 3600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Update: Replacement motherboard on its way

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Replacement motherboard received, build on its way.

Buki

AMD OS X Member
Hello. There are some apps that don't work. Others need some patching like the Adobe apps.

CPU PM is a WIP, https://github.com/trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor

If you need to run VMs then only VBox will work on an AMD machine.

Audio works with AppleALC only the mic won't work for now.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know just ask.

Hi, Shaneee. About Asus X570 e-gaming and the bios v2203. I triple checked the parameters in bios, but cant booting, something has changed with new microcode.
I believe its has to do with kernel patch, maybe we need a new set! What do you think.

Buki

AMD OS X Member
OK, finally managed to boot.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Another motherboard being sent back for RA. I’m starting to think I’m cursed.
I actually think it’s the new case, system booted without issues out of case, once installed in the case it went pop. I got the inwin 101c. I’ve build plenty of PCs so I know about standoffs etc but this is the first build with built in I/o shield. When I receive the next motherboard I’ll be installing in my old case (Corsair 760t) and just forget about USB c for now.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Before I get another motherboard sent back to me I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on the Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming?
It has the 2 x m.2 slots that I need, looks like audio is supported by AppleALC, but will it support nvram, and be a viable ryzentosh?

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Ok received my third replacement motherboard and I can finally say my system is running.
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi Motherboard
Sapphire RX580 8Gb
16Gb DDR4 (was 32 but 1 stick went bad)
2 x Samsung 970 evo 512g
Fenvi T919 wifi / bt
Phanteks Eclipse P500A Airflow Tempered Glass Black
Corsair commander pro
Corsair ML140 fans
Corsair 280mm AIO (to be installed when I get the standoffs)
I think I did a good job.
Next is to install macOS Catalina on a ssd then tackle Big Sur or do I just jump straight to big sur?
ed9f69268e64983e65e7e78394798b82.jpg

Fin
951a679c7244debf5e520b57afee48fc.jpg

Corsair components gone.

Last edited:

askunk

AMD OS X Member
Are Ryzentosh viable in 2020?

I read everything and its opposite if I look online and many comments are as old as January.

Do FaceTime, iCloud, iMessage, Siri, Handoff and Continuity work?

Intel hackintoshes cost around 250$ more than the equivalent AMDs.
Am I getting into pointless trouble with AMD CPUs or is it nowadays as stable as with Intel?

Thank you!

@

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@askunk

iServices (FaceTime, iCloud, iMessage, Siri) works if you follow the guides
Handoff/Continuity works if you have supported Bluetooth/Wifi

The system itself is as stable as an Intel one, but since Apple uses only Intel CPU there is some Software which use Intel-specific instructions that will crash (Adobe, Parallels Desktop and more). Some can be patched to work around this issue.

askunk

AMD OS X Member
@Aluveitie Thank you very much. Very kind of you.
Is there a list of the incompatible software as there is for the hardware? Just curious. I heard about the Adobe issues and of course, VM can be an issue too.

I need all the iCloud services (pages collaboration, facetime and imessage are critical), Logic... KSP :D and a few minor software to work.

I still don't understand why the internet is full of people saying that AMD CPUs are only trouble (for hackintoshing).

I will wait for Ryzen 3, although I guess it will take a while before the AMD-OSX community gets the right kexts. How long did it take to get Ryzen 2 to work when it came out?

And if I can take advantage of your kindness...: did anyone manage to find a workaround to get the dual boot to work safely? Morgonaut (Youtuber) says that sometimes even if you install macOS on a different SSD, Win can mess the EFI partition during updates. According to her instructions, the only solutions are: 1) disconnecting the drive or 2) install VMs to manage the two systems. What is your experience?

Thanks again :)

@

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I only use Windows to access some hardware features (like setting Memory RGB color or reading out hardware details). Therefore I boot Windows quickly from a fast USB Stick instead of installing it to the internal disk.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
If you need to run VMs then only VBox will work on an AMD machine.

Actually VMware Fusion 10 runs so well I'm using it on my hack to run Adobe Character Animator that is Intel-only (fast_memset). It all works, even the Webcam features.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.