**SOLVED** Monterey upgrade, odd ProperTree behaviour

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I made the jump from Catalina to Monterey, straight from System Update. I lost my Bluetooth so I wanted to do the suggested fix, for which I need ProperTree. That however turned out to be all black and unusable under Monterey. I googled, then updated my Python install and rebuilt the app using the buildapp-select.command. That got me a white backgrounded ProperTree again, but I can't open anything, because I get this error:

I have no clue what this means and more importantly, how to fix it. I do need to have a working ProperTree eventually... :unsure:

EDIT Found a work-around sorta. Open it, dismiss the error. Open it again, dismiss the error. You will get a blank page like above. Open it yet again and it will then open the config.plist for editing. Pfew. Still, kinda annoying! EDIT2 Strike that. Any file dialog interactions endlessly error out. Are there good ProperTree alternatives I could try?

Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I might be grabbing that SuperDuper backup I made earlier and just downgrading again to Catalina, because without a working ProperTree what's the point? Tried Python 3.10 but I still get that stupid error message and can't update OC going forward.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@RyzeCooker If you're on Discord speak to CorpNewt. Failing that check the Donators Lounge. You'll find something in there for plist editing.

dnlzzxz

AMD OS X Member
I might be grabbing that SuperDuper backup I made earlier and just downgrading again to Catalina, because without a working ProperTree what's the point? Tried Python 3.10 but I still get that stupid error message and can't update OC going forward.
inside the folder scripts on the propertree repo, there's a script to build the propertree app, you must install python manually and try one by one of the options to build until you find one version that works on your system! after selecting the option an app will appear on the folder, try opening it, if not successful then delete it and try the next one.Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 18.32.59.png

Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
At the moment I've tried all options with building the ProperTree.app, sadly. With the older version that comes with macOS it creates that black unreadable version, the other ones all complain about the dialog (which by the looks of it more people are dealing with). Something with the changes to the way Monterey deals with dialog windows.

"Now, with 12.0 (at least in the beta) calling [NSOpenPanel runModal] produces an error dialog saying "The open file operation failed to connect to the open and save panel service" and this would be accompanied by a traceback printed on stderr for an assertion error. (It was not a "crash" but the file selection would fail.) However, it turns out that calling [NSApp runModalForWindow:panel] no longer produces the warning in 12.0, and it works correctly."

I will look in the Donators lounge @Shaneee, cheers!

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Over on ProperTree github someone suggested this command to launch it.

python3 ./ProperTree.command /Volumes/PATHTOEFI/OC/config.plist

It does open the file but won't allow for any save as/snapshots since that requires the dialog again. Fear it's up to CorpNewt (don't have Discord :confused:)

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Alright, I completely missed the lines on the ProperTree page explaining exactly which version of python I should get to make the dialogs work again. Under ProperTree cannot open or save plist files on macOS Monterey (12.x) it linked the correct version. I managed to build one without the dialog errors. With apologies to CorpNewt for not reading carefully enough. Yay, back in business!

tatofuma

AMD OS X Member
From proprtree GitHub

“It appears the default tk implementation that ships with macOS Monterey doesn't display correctly. A workaround is to download and install the intel build (not "universal") of python 3.9.7 from python.org (direct link here) which has a compatible tk bundled, then use the buildapp-select.command located in ProperTree's Scripts directory to build an application bundle targeting the installed python's path.”

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
From proprtree GitHub

“It appears the default tk implementation that ships with macOS Monterey doesn't display correctly. A workaround is to download and install the intel build (not "universal") of python 3.9.7 from python.org (direct link here) which has a compatible tk bundled, then use the buildapp-select.command located in ProperTree's Scripts directory to build an application bundle targeting the installed python's path.”
Worked like a charm!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.