SOLVED - Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 - Ryzen 9 5900X - Dual Gen 4 M.2 Slow SSD Speeds

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Has anyone ever had issues with a dual gen 4 mobo m.2 slots having one of them running at gen 3 speeds no matter what you do? I purchased the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 specifically because it claimed to have dual gen 4 m.2s (I am running an XPG Gammix that runs at 7400/2500 and a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 that ran at 5500/4500 on a previous machine) the XPG runs at full speed however the Sabrent only running at gen 3 speeds. Here is what I have tried to correct the issue;

Upgraded Bios To Latest, Downgraded 2 versions, no change
Boot into Windows bypassing opencore, no change
Enabled Bifurcation (tried all modes) no change
Manually switched pcie slots to gen 4 in bios, no change

I do not know if it is because the video card is using PCIE 4 (RX 6600), where all my other boxes are using PCIE 3 graphics cards, RX 570 & 580

Anyone ever run into this issue?

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.51.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.52.29 PM.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
B550 only has Gen 3 lanes from the chipset. Only X570 also supports Gen 4 for all PCIe lanes.
I think there is one B550 board that uses lanes from the x16 slot to provide 2 additional M.2 slots with Gen 4.
But on most boards, the secondary M.2 runs only with Gen 3 from the chipset.

I agree, the wording on the Gigabyte page is not immediately obvious as it states "Dual PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2".
But the overview page clearly states that only one M.2 is running Gen 4:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 21.41.48.png

For a CPU in that price range I would have invested into a better board anyway.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I think you may have misunderstood the Specification for your motherboard.

Only the M2A_CPU connector works at PCIe Gen4. This connector works for x4 and x2 speed SSD's.

The M2B_SB connector only works at PCIe Gen3. This connector also works for x4 and x2 speed SSD's.

That's how I read this specification info.

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 20.49.06.png

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
B550 only has Gen 3 lanes from the chipset. Only X570 also supports Gen 4 for all PCIe lanes.
I think there is one B550 board that uses lanes from the x16 slot to provide 2 additional M.2 slots with Gen 4.
But on most boards, the secondary M.2 runs only with Gen 3 from the chipset.

I agree, the wording on the Gigabyte page is not immediately obvious as it states "Dual PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2".
But the overview page clearly states that only one M.2 is running Gen 4:

View attachment 4935

For a CPU in that price range I would have invested into a better board anyway.
Dam I did not see that.... That explains it... I chose that because of the issues I have with the X570 Gaming X and the USB Ports, I will probably upgrade to a better board like you suggested. My asrock x570 phantom gaming does good, it just has an issue with shutting down with latest bios. I am also trying to keep a mobo with the realtek nic chipset

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I think you may have misunderstood the Specification for your motherboard.

Only the M2A_CPU connector works at PCIe Gen4. This connector works for x4 and x2 speed SSD's.

The M2B_SB connector only works at PCIe Gen3. This connector also works for x4 and x2 speed SSD's.

That's how I read this specification info.
I ordered another Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. I appreciate the advice. live and learn

itruji

AMD OS X Member
I ordered another Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. I appreciate the advice. live and learn
Hi, I have the same b550 gaming x versión and try to install Monterey. What bios version has your mb? Mine is on F13 cause > F14 can’t let install old bios.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi, I have the same b550 gaming x versión and try to install Monterey. What bios version has your mb? Mine is on F13 cause > F14 can’t let install old bios.
It has f14

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.