[SOLVED]Catalina accessing "data" partition is insanely slow

funfish

AMD OS X Member
EDIT: I've been doing some more testings and research, and I think the issue is related to data partition since Catalina uses a OS partition + data partition unlike High Sierra. I think my system can read/write on OS partition perfectly fine but struggles very much when it has to access the data partition
EDIT: I don't know how I missed that but my old setup was using SATA 2 cable. I switched it to SATA 3 and it works like a charm. Worth to note that you can run fine with SATA2 up to High Sierra.

Hey guys, I've been playing around with an old setup to understand better how open core and hackintosh works.
I've managed to install macOS and play around with this config:
CPU: Intel i7 3770k ivy bridge
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970
Motherboard: Asus Predator g5920
SSD: Samsung QVO 1tb
RAM: 4x4 gb ddr3
OpenCore 0.6.1
Catalina: 10.15.5

I've managed to get everything working (sleep, iservices, etc.), everything works great except that apps and the system overall feels laggy. It's weird because I can open pre installed macOS apps (like, Safari, Notes, etc.) flawlessly and without any issue. However, when I try to open apps that I installed (like chrome, Firefox or AirMail 3, etc.) the app icon will bump on the dock for 15-20 sec before opening the app, then I start having that lagging feel. I also noticed that apps that aren't native always get "verified" by the system and is slow. If I could describe the best how it feels is if you were using an old computer with a slow HDD.

I assumed the problem could come from my installation so I tried:
  • Clean install on Catalina with different versions of the installer
  • Cloned drive of 100% working Catalina
  • Clean install on Mojave

All the setups were working fine except for the problem I writing this post for.

Then, I tried to install High Sierra, and there I had it, everything worked perfectly and flawlessly, no lags whatsoever.

I've been trying to tweak around my plist and efi for a couple of days but I can't quite figure out the issue.
Do you guys think the issue is just that my hardware isn't powerful enough? Or is it a problem with my actual config?

Thanks in advance your help!

Attachments

• config.plist
    25 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
I am having same issue on 10.15.17laggy and apps take long to load ive noticed that when opening about my mac the gpu name takes way too long to show

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
EDIT: I've been doing some more testings and research, and I think the issue is related to data partition since Catalina uses a OS partition + data partition unlike High Sierra. I think my system can read/write on OS partition perfectly fine but struggles very much when it has to access the data partition
EDIT: I don't know how I missed that but my old setup was using SATA 2 cable. I switched it to SATA 3 and it works like a charm. Worth to note that you can run fine with SATA2 up to High Sierra.

Hey guys, I've been playing around with an old setup to understand better how open core and hackintosh works.
I've managed to install macOS and play around with this config:
CPU: Intel i7 3770k ivy bridge
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970
Motherboard: Asus Predator g5920
SSD: Samsung QVO 1tb
RAM: 4x4 gb ddr3
OpenCore 0.6.1
Catalina: 10.15.5

I've managed to get everything working (sleep, iservices, etc.), everything works great except that apps and the system overall feels laggy. It's weird because I can open pre installed macOS apps (like, Safari, Notes, etc.) flawlessly and without any issue. However, when I try to open apps that I installed (like chrome, Firefox or AirMail 3, etc.) the app icon will bump on the dock for 15-20 sec before opening the app, then I start having that lagging feel. I also noticed that apps that aren't native always get "verified" by the system and is slow. If I could describe the best how it feels is if you were using an old computer with a slow HDD.

I assumed the problem could come from my installation so I tried:
  • Clean install on Catalina with different versions of the installer
  • Cloned drive of 100% working Catalina
  • Clean install on Mojave

All the setups were working fine except for the problem I writing this post for.

Then, I tried to install High Sierra, and there I had it, everything worked perfectly and flawlessly, no lags whatsoever.

I've been trying to tweak around my plist and efi for a couple of days but I can't quite figure out the issue.
Do you guys think the issue is just that my hardware isn't powerful enough? Or is it a problem with my actual config?

Thanks in advance your help!
Ok after researching through the forums I believe I have found a solution because my system is so much smoother no lags or hickups. All you have to do is make sure to set your m.2 and PCIe devices to GEN3 in your BIOS leave the control portion on Auto. I changed mine all to GEN3 and system is butter.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.