SNAZZY LABS RYZENSHINE BUILD WITH ASROCK X570 CREATOR PT 2.

vade

AMD OS X Member
Hi

Wanted to make a follow up thread to the old archived 'SNAZZY LABS RYZENSHINE BUILD WITH ASROCK X570 CREATOR' thread for continued info on TB3 support for that board.

Latest Update:
Update #1 - Thunderbolt 3 is working albeit with some caveats - link to comment in this thread with info:

Original Post:

I'm trying to figure out why following @iGPU's awesome https://github.com/iGPU/AMD_OC_Ryzen EFI does not net me functioning TB at all.

Question: Has there been revisions to the X570 Creator which change the TB device / PCI device tree silently?
Question: What is the status of TB3 on this board?

The only major difference I can tell with hardware in our build is that I lack any BT devices at all. The system BT is disabled in bios, the SSDT to disable the internal BT is enabled - but I dont have a PCIE BT device and ive not done any module swap.

I noticed one detail in his System Info and IOReg - in his screenshots his PCI devices for the built in / PCIe TB card are 0x15D4 / 0x15EC

Mine are 0x15EA which presumably would make iGPU's SSDTs not activate since they aren't targeting the right device?

Question: Would not having an enabled BT device cause PCI addresses on the board to change? That seems crazy.

Correction:

Using IORegistry Explorer (see attached IOReg file) I do in fact see a driver at the same address - I confused the USB 3 controller in the TB3 controller for the TB3 controller. 🤪This **** is nuanced haha.

So I do appear to have the same PCI layout which makes sense however I dont see the same info in my TB3 IOReg. N

For reference: My X570 using IOReg and navigating to the same PCI device as what @iGPU posted. Also a DCPIManager screen and an attached iOReg file.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 2.17.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 2.03.15 PM.png

iGPUs TB Device tree from the GitHub page.

X570-Hackintol-USB.jpgTB3-Builtin.jpg

Attachments

• Cygnus X1.ioreg.zip
    886.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hey there would you be so kind as to move this thread to the Success Stories as some people won't find it here? Otherwise it isn't that visible.

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The problem with TB on a mobo or on a PCIe card, is that will you may get some limited functionality out of the box, you will not see a fully functioning TB tree, nor will you see it activated under SystemInfo/Thunderbolt. To get these latter items, you'd need to flash a modified firmware, specific for that mobo/card, onto the TB chip.

I was not successful flashing the TB chip for this mobo, and ended up messing up the mobo, and trashed it. I then moved components over to a GB X570 Xtreme Master, flashed a GB Titan Ridge PCIe card and now have TB fully working on that build. I essentially used most of the SSDTs from this Creator build on the GB X570 mobo with only slight modifications.

I've now moved onto working on a GB TRX40 Designare mobo with an AMD 3970X cpu. It is running under a Proxmox (Linux) platform as a VM. Due to the very low overhead of Proxmox, the speed of the CPU is almost exactly the same as running native under Windows. TB is close, but not yet working, but it's a Proxmox problem, not a macOS issue.

I'll continue to periodically update the GitHub site for this build as I use OpenCore for the 3970X build too.

In looking at your IORegistryExplorer TB section, something is wrong with the USB portion (see arrow). Upload the SSDT-TB file and let me look at it.

CygnusIORE.jpg

agent2

Donator
Donator
The problem with TB on a mobo or on a PCIe card, is that will you may get some limited functionality out of the box, you will not see a fully functioning TB tree, nor will you see it activated under SystemInfo/Thunderbolt. To get these latter items, you'd need to flash a modified firmware, specific for that mobo/card, onto the TB chip.

I was not successful flashing the TB chip for this mobo, and ended up messing up the mobo, and trashed it. I then moved components over to a GB X570 Xtreme Master, flashed a GB Titan Ridge PCIe card and now have TB fully working on that build. I essentially used most of the SSDTs from this Creator build on the GB X570 mobo with only slight modifications.

I've now moved onto working on a GB TRX40 Designare mobo with an AMD 3970X cpu. It is running under a Proxmox (Linux) platform as a VM. Due to the very low overhead of Proxmox, the speed of the CPU is almost exactly the same as running native under Windows. TB is close, but not yet working, but it's a Proxmox problem, not a macOS issue.

I'll continue to periodically update the GitHub site for this build as I use OpenCore for the 3970X build too.

In looking at your IORegistryExplorer TB section, something is wrong with the USB portion (see arrow). Upload the SSDT-TB file and let me look at it.

View attachment 105
Does that mean that your X570 Master has Hot-Plug working too? Or am I dreaming?

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
I've now moved onto working on a GB TRX40 Designare mobo with an AMD 3970X cpu.
So are you saying that you are running macOS in a virtual machine on that machine? What was the install like? Seems like a good but expensive option and I'd want to be sure that it's Hackable before committing to something so expensive. But it TB3 worked 100% I'd switch in a second.

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Does that mean that your X570 Master has Hot-Plug working too? Or am I dreaming?

Yes.

Yes, I got TB3 working on the GB Aorus Master (v1.1) with a flashed GB TR PCIe card.

Attached is the SSDT file (you should input a new DROM, first row; if you're flashing, you should know how to do such things).

Attachments

• SSDT-X570-TB3-GPP9-TR-slot-2_OldDROM.aml.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 19

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
So are you saying that you are running macOS in a virtual machine on that machine? What was the install like? Seems like a good but expensive option and I'd want to be sure that it's Hackable before committing to something so expensive. But it TB3 worked 100% I'd switch in a second.

Not exactly.

There are presently no known patches for Threadripper 3960X-3970X-3990X CPUs. Instead, due to some work on another forum, some clever people are running these CPUs as a virtual machine (VM) under Proxmox. To get things working, you have to "pass through" the devices from the host (Proxmox, a type of Linux) to the guest (macOS).

So far, TB3 is an issue. The problem is on the Linux side. I'm still working on it. I've got the USB portion pass through, but not the whole tree. I'm presently experimenting with a similar issue that made me fed-up with X570: lane sharing. This may be rearing a its ugly head on the TRX40 platform too. Lane sharing on Intel deals with SATA & NVMe; for some, REALLY annoying reason, AMD chose to share PCIe & NVMe.

We do have the system working. The VM overhead toll is only 2 or 3% so everything is blazingly fast! You can see my results here on this post.

Last edited:

agent2

Donator
Donator
Yes.

Yes, I got TB3 working on the GB Aorus Master (v1.1) with a flashed GB TR PCIe card.

Attached is the SSDT file (you should input a new DROM, first row; if you're flashing, you should know how to do such things).
Dude that is awesome! I am planning on doing a Ryzentosh soon, but other priorities are holding me back right now.
Not exactly.

There are presently no known patches for Threadripper 3960X-3970X-3990X CPUs. Instead, due to some work on another forum, some clever people are running these CPUs as a virtual machine (VM) under Proxmox. To get things working, you have to "pass through" the devices from the host (Proxmox, a type of Linux) to the guest (macOS).

So far, TB3 is an issue. The problem is on the Linux side. I'm still working on it. I've got the USB portion pass through, but not the whole tree. I'm presently experimenting with a similar issue that made me fed-up with X570: lane sharing. This may be rearing a its ugly head on the TRX40 platform too. Lane sharing on Intel deals with SATA & NVMe; for some, REALLY annoying reason, AMD chose to share PCIe & NVMe.

We do have the system working. The VM overhead toll is only 2 or 3% so everything is blazingly fast! You can see my results here on this post.
Are you going to try other VM applications too? I understand that Proxmox gives you near-native speeds, but will something like QEMU also do it? E. g. the tutorial from the Passthrough-Post uses it and it's free too.
But good luck for now and I am excited to hear your results! :)

PS: Is @CaseySJ still around? He started this thread originally and hasn't been active for a few months now. I wonder if he still has some information about the X570 Creator or if he has also fried it.

vade

AMD OS X Member
Update for my ASRock Creator Build.

Thanks to some advice in another thread, I was able to get TB3 working, albeit with some caveats.

My system is a Ryzen 3950x, Radeon VII Creator X570 on Bios v2.10 with the normal bios settings as per OpenCore recommendation.

I am running macOS 10.15.4

I removed (set to NO for enabled in my config.plist) the following files included from iGPU:

• SSDT-X570-Cr-TB3-basic.aml - already disabled
  • SSDT-X570-Cr-TB3-BuiltIn.aml
  • SSDT-X570-TB-PWR-Builtin.aml
  • SSDT-X570-5-AmdTable.aml
  • SSDT-X570-6-AmdTable.aml

I now have TB 3 working however, only on the top most, TB_1 port of the motherboard.

I have been able to:

• Run Apples TB3 <-> TB2 adaptor and connect my Blackmagic Decklink Mini and successfully capture video (with latest drivers)
  • Update the Decklink Mini's firmware
  • See Firewire devices via a TB2 to Firewire adaptor
  • See my eGPU with a 580 in it - and run DaVinci Resolve (which recognizes it) as well as run GeekBench, and see GPU usage in iStats and Activity monitor.

Also - I believe disabling the above SSDTs allowed me to have a clean shutdown - previously my case light would stay on and it would sort of halt, but never completely turn off when shutting down, requiring a power button hold. This is resolved by removing the above SSDTs. ive not isolated which is the culprit.

Current Build Errata:
Thunderbolt Errata:
  • The usual no hot swap, devices only seen when plugged in and cold booted. Reboots do not show devices
  • System Information.app -> Thunderbolt shows "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded"
  • System Information.app -> PCI does not show any Thunderbolt controllers at all
  • System Information.app -> Graphic and Displays does however show my eGPU if it is plugged in from a cold boot.
  • System Information.app -> FireWire shows that I have a Firewire device if I have my TB3<->TB2 and TB2 <-> Firewire adaptors chained from cold boot
  • eGPU: Does not have a widget to eject or show up in the menu bar.

Basically, you dont really 'know' if your device is seen from the usual spots.

Other Errata:
  • Radeon VII Glitch: with 1 HDMI and 1 Displayport has intermittent glitches on the HDMI display. Adding rad24 WhateverGreen boot flag does not resolve the issue. Both monitors are 30bit panels and ideally should be run that way. Disabling RadeonBoost shows no issue. I suspect I need another Displayport cable.
  • Front Panel Audio: I have an HD-Audio front panel on my NZXT wired to the motherboard, but for the life of me cannot get it working. I am using AppeALC with Layout 1

vade

AMD OS X Member
May I humbly request that we dont post errata or too much info about other boards in this thread? I'd like to try to keep this a clean topic about the ASRock X570 Creator. Not trying to be rude, the information is great, and im super curious about better supported boards too. But perhaps a different thread is where that belongs? It can be really hard to find clear, concise information and keeping the threads on topic is generally a good way to help signal to noise when you are hunting down a solution or information.

Thank you for understanding!

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
I removed (set to NO for enabled in my config.plist) the following files included from iGPU:

• SSDT-X570-Cr-TB3-basic.aml - already disabled
  • SSDT-X570-Cr-TB3-BuiltIn.aml
  • SSDT-X570-TB-PWR-Builtin.aml
  • SSDT-X570-5-AmdTable.aml
  • SSDT-X570-6-AmdTable.aml
Glad you got TB3 Working. I also think only the TB_1 TB3 port works form me as well. To be fair, I also think this is the case with Linux, but definitely windows sees both of them.

I do plan to sometime next week go through the SSDT's enabling each to see what works and what does. It's not ideal having halfway working TB3.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
PS: Is @CaseySJ still around? He started this thread originally and hasn't been active for a few months now. I wonder if he still has some information about the X570 Creator or if he has also fried it.
Hello, I'm back. :)

I must say that this new forum design is a huge improvement...

My X570 Creator is still very much alive and kicking. I thought I had found a way to reliably read its TB3 firmware chip, but after two successful attempts several weeks ago I've not been able to repeat that.

I'll disconnect most of the components and try again. I think it's still possible to activate Thunderbolt Bus on the on-board Titan Ridge controller. If @iGPU's flashed GC-Titan Ridge can be considered proof-of-concept then I think it's quite worthwhile to pursue this. But unless we find a reliable way to read/write the firmware chip, we cannot claim success. Being able to read the chip once or twice is not sufficient because that does not constitute a teachable procedure. Instead, that constitutes sheer luck.

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hello, I'm back. :)

I must say that this new forum design is a huge improvement...

My X570 Creator is still very much alive and kicking. I thought I had found a way to reliably read its TB3 firmware chip, but after two successful attempts several weeks ago I've not been able to repeat that.

I'll disconnect most of the components and try again. I think it's still possible to activate Thunderbolt Bus on the on-board Titan Ridge controller. If @iGPU's flashed GC-Titan Ridge can be considered proof-of-concept then I think it's quite worthwhile to pursue this. But unless we find a reliable way to read/write the firmware chip, we cannot claim success. Being able to read the chip once or twice is not sufficient because that does not constitute a teachable procedure. Instead, that constitutes sheer luck.
Awesome! Nice to hear that you're back! I wish you good luck!

agent2

Donator
Donator
May I humbly request that we dont post errata or too much info about other boards in this thread? I'd like to try to keep this a clean topic about the ASRock X570 Creator. Not trying to be rude, the information is great, and im super curious about better supported boards too. But perhaps a different thread is where that belongs? It can be really hard to find clear, concise information and keeping the threads on topic is generally a good way to help signal to noise when you are hunting down a solution or information.

Thank you for understanding!
Yeah you’re right we should keep this thread clean.
Maybe @iGPU could open another thread in the success stories to detail his X570 Aorus Master or so where we can talk about other Thunderbolt development.
I personally opened a thread (in Chit Chat) about the MSI X570 Tomahawk having TB3 support and I opened a different thread there too about the new B550 boards and some of those supporting that too.
Maybe we can migrate the general TB discussion to one of the aforementioned threads or I’d be stoked for @iGPU and a Gigabyte guide! 😀

Last edited:

deliad

AMD OS X Member
i want to tell that ive received TB3 Firmware for the X570 Creator from ASRock TSD

I flashed it and now my RME Fireface UFX Plus TB2 interface (with apple tb2 to tb3 adapter) not recongnized in with @iGPU OC Folder

attached here the link for tb3 flash image for you to test, it improves stability on windows

windows driver

windows flashable firmware
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yql0A0-jDaQAFgS1QFJh3r2Nsy3xSeYA

have a try maybe with that firmware we can solve the tb3 issues completely

sprl

AMD OS X Member

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
Just picked up a GC Titan Ridge and everything to flash the card. My question is what has been identified as the best firmware for macOS to flash to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
Hi all, I could use some help with the ASRock X570 creator. Specifically the onboard Thunderbolt part, I just can't get it to work in macOS. Windows I can hotplug my TB3 <> TB2 adapter to TB2 <> LAN (RJ45) just fine, so the problem lies in macOS (I assume ACPI).

I read through and tested as much as possible from these sources:

I've attached my EFI as it is. I have applied @iGPU's BIOS settings through the file after updating to 2.10. I've replaced the WiFi/BT with a DW1820A, and selected the right ACPI files (all related to built-in TB and BT/WiFI). TB is enabled (0 security) in the BIOS, as per iGPU's BIOS settings.

Perhaps someone can give me a direction on how to get the onboard TB working, maybe I'm just missing something. I haven't gotten TB to work with any EFI (older and newer, some claiming half others full functionality) on this board, except for Windows.

Also tried @sprl 's EFI, and it boots but doesn't have TB functionality, for me. Would like to test whatever @vade tried and tested for TB, even if it's just one port.

If there are any other files or types of information I can supply, I'd be happy to do so ofcourse!

Attachments

• EFI 03082020.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Sharky

AMD OS X Member
Just picked up a GC Titan Ridge and everything to flash the card. My question is what has been identified as the best firmware for macOS to flash to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be interested into this as well...

agent2

Donator
Donator
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.