Sleep/Wake issue on AMD/Dark Hero/Big Sur

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
Recently I followed this great post and installed Big Sur on AMD setup and having sleep / wake issue.

Here are hardware:
Ryzen 5900x
X570 Dark Hero
2*32 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Sabrent NVME M.2 Rocket
Nvidia GTX 660
H150i Corsair AIO

Sleep and wake was working fine for 2 days and suddenly having an issue now. When put system into sleep, it can wake up fine in 10-20 secs. However, waiting a bit longer, all USB devices go to hibernate mode and can't wake up. Mouse RGB light up if I click on it, but keyboard RGB won't light up and neither there is any video output to the monitor. MB shows EE error code. I had to force cut off power and MB won't start. When I try to start, MB tries and won't start at all. I had to take out the button battery from the MB and put them back in for the MB to post.

I reused the USBMapping kext from the post and thought they should be mapped well, since the system were able to sleep/awake a few days back.

I was wondering if there is any tips to debug.

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Have you tried clearing your nvram?
mind you a power and battery pull is as good as.
If it was working and then stoped one day was there something you installed in that time leading up to the issue that could of caused it or did you change something in the bios that the MacOS doesn’t like?
Things tend to not just change on its own all of sudden unless you have a computer poltergeist lurking.. 😂🤣 (jokes)
What guide and EFI did you use to start with buddy?

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
Have you tried clearing your nvram?
mind you a power and battery pull is as good as.
If it was working and then stoped one day was there something you installed in that time leading up to the issue that could of caused it or did you change something in the bios that the MacOS doesn’t like?
Things tend to not just change on its own all of sudden unless you have a computer poltergeist lurking.. 😂🤣 (jokes)
What guide and EFI did you use to start with buddy?
I used the official guide but reused the SSDT and USBMap from: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php...xt-big-sur-11-5-beta-20g5023d-o-c-0-6-9.1799/

Also, watched the
as well.

I recently installed the Xcode and AMD power Gadget. Nothing much new...

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@oyyhlz Here you go, Try this EFI. Add your SMBIOS details to the config.plist (SMBIOS MacPro7,1) and then put the EFI onto a USB installer at first to make sure it works for you and use It to boot up (You don't need to add anything else kext or SSDT wise as I have all the correct files needed for your board). If sleep is still broken using that EFI and the bellow bios settings then you have a problem with your instal.

Also you should set the following in the bios settings.
  • Enter BIOS -> Press Delete -> Enter Setup
  • Exit -> Load Optimised Defaults
  • Ai Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner -> D.O.C.P.
  • Advanced -> APM Configuration -> Power On By PCIe -> Enabled
  • Advanced -> PCI Subsystem Settings -> Above 4G Decoding -> Disabled
  • Advanced -> PCI Subsystem Settings -> Re-Size BAR Support -> Disabled
  • Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Auto or Disabled
  • Boot -> Boot Configuration -> Fast boot -> Disabled
  • Boot -> CSM -> Launch CSM -> Disabled
  • Boot -> Secure boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI mode
  • Boot -> Secure boot -> Key Management -> Clear Secure Boot Keys

MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR NVRAM BEFORE BOOTING WITH THE NEW EFI FOR THE FIRST TIME (Press space when you get to the bootpicker to reveal the option)

Attachments

• Asus X570 DarkHero 071 EFI .zip
    18.7 MB · Views: 42

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
@oyyhlz Here you go, Try this EFI. Add your SMBIOS details to the config.plist (SMBIOS MacPro7,1) and then put the EFI onto a USB installer at first to make sure it works for you and use It to boot up (You don't need to add anything else kext or SSDT wise as I have all the correct files needed for your board). If sleep is still broken using that EFI and the bellow bios settings then you have a problem with your instal.

MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR NVRAM BEFORE BOOTING WITH THE NEW EFI FOR THE FIRST TIME (Press space when you get to the bootpicker to reveal the option)
Thanks @AudioGod for such detailed help. I tried change the EFI to your setting.

Right now the symptom changed...The system will go to sleep with screen black out, after 1 min USB mouse/keyboard power out as well as CPU Fan and case Fan. It seems trying to go hibernation. However, right after 1 sec, the USB turns themselves on and AIO/CPU fan start working (screen remains black). The USB and Fans start this cycle every one minute. However, it can indeed wake up monitor by clicking on mouses. In my understanding, this fix part of the problem. However, the USB and Fan alternating on and off seems strange, right?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Thanks @AudioGod for such detailed help. I tried change the EFI to your setting.

Right now the symptom changed...The system will go to sleep with screen black out, after 1 min USB mouse/keyboard power out as well as CPU Fan and case Fan. It seems trying to go hibernation. However, right after 1 sec, the USB turns themselves on and AIO/CPU fan start working (screen remains black). The USB and Fans start this cycle every one minute. However, it can indeed wake up monitor by clicking on mouses. In my understanding, this fix part of the problem. However, the USB and Fan alternating on and off seems strange, right?
So what your saying if I understand you correctly is its waking up as soon as it goes to sleep and cycling?
Go into MacOS Power settings and untick wake for network and power sleep and try again.
If you have a Corsair AIO or Commander Pro attached to the internal USB hub it will break sleep.

Lastly did you adapt your EFI or just use the one I sent you?
you should of done the later for testing.

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
So what your saying if I understand you correctly is its waking up as soon as it goes to sleep and cycling?
Go into MacOS Power settings and untick wake for network and power sleep and try again.
If you have a Corsair AIO or Commander Pro attached to the internal USB hub it will break sleep.

Lastly did you adapt your EFI or just use the one I sent you?
you should of done the later for testing.
@AudioGod I totally used your EFI with my SMBIOS settings. Yet, it is waking up everything else without monitor and cycling.

I indeed have a Commander Pro with Corsair H150i attached to the internal USB hub. It does not seem like Corsair iCue MacOS support commander pro, thus I can't set fan/RGB profile without using "https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl". Any recommendations for this would be greatly appreciated.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AudioGod I totally used your EFI with my SMBIOS settings. Yet, it is waking up everything else without monitor and cycling.

I indeed have a Commander Pro with Corsair H150i attached to the internal USB hub. It does not seem like Corsair iCue MacOS support commander pro, thus I can't set fan/RGB profile without using "https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl". Any recommendations for this would be greatly appreciated.
Ok great that explains it all now.
you need to add a patch to your config.plist to stop the Corsair stuff waking your system.
Follow the guide for instructions on how to add it.

once you do that sleep will work and FYI, Darkwake is dead under BigSur so this means when you wake the system from sleep the screen will remain off until you tap the mouse a second time.
However, if you use the power button on the case to wake the system the screen will wake with it. 👍

MacOS does not support Corsair internal hubs or AIOs and this is why icue does not work with them and never will.
Really you should just use windows to set up everything how you want it and it will stay that way unless your being fancy with the lighting and then in that case use the app your using. Personally I wouldn’t have the AIO connected via usb as once it’s setup the internal USB connection is no longer needed.

Note - If I remember correctly the above patch stops the keyboard and mouse or anything else usb from being able to wake up the system so you will have to use the cases power button to wake it instead. I haven’t used the patch in a good few years as I gave up on Corsair AIOs a long time ago now. Corsair internal usb connected gear is not something I recommend for a MacOS build.

Last edited:

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
Ok great that explains it all now.
you need to add a patch to your config.plist to stop the Corsair stuff waking your system.
Follow the guide for instructions on how to add it.

once you do that sleep will work and FYI, Darkwake is dead under BigSur so this means when you wake the system from sleep the screen will remain off until you tap the mouse a second time.
However, if you use the power button on the case to wake the system the screen will wake with it. 👍

MacOS does not support Corsair internal hubs or AIOs and this is why icue does not work with them and never will.
Really you should just use windows to set up everything how you want it and it will stay that way unless your being fancy with the lighting and then in that case use the app your using. Personally I wouldn’t have the AIO connected via usb as once it’s setup the internal USB connection is no longer needed.

Note - If I remember correctly the above patch stops the keyboard and mouse or anything else usb from being able to wake up the system so you will have to use the cases power button to wake it instead. I haven’t used the patch in a good few years as I gave up on Corsair AIOs a long time ago now. Corsair internal usb connected gear is not something I recommend for a MacOS build.
The tutorial asked to use only one of the 3 patches by checking "Use this if you have Method (UPRW, 2 in your ACPI". I have difficulties finding out how to check this information (i.e. how to check the DSDT, I am pretty new to this). Thanks a lot.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
The tutorial asked to use only one of the 3 patches by checking "Use this if you have Method (UPRW, 2 in your ACPI". I have difficulties finding out how to check this information (i.e. how to check the DSDT, I am pretty new to this). Thanks a lot.
Use SSDT-GPRW and it’s corresponding patch.

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
@AudioGod thanks for previous guidance. There has been another issue - slightly off topic from the title:

I upgraded the GPU to 6800xt. The boot was normal and I click on the MacOS boot disk until the Apple Logo shows 1/5 progress. After that, the screen turned black and it seem to lost input source. While I am using 11.4 Big Sur, do I still need agdpmod=pikera? My understanding is the navi2 is supported in this version natively.

anything else I did was wrong?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AudioGod thanks for previous guidance. There has been another issue - slightly off topic from the title:

I upgraded the GPU to 6800xt. The boot was normal and I click on the MacOS boot disk until the Apple Logo shows 1/5 progress. After that, the screen turned black and it seem to lost input source. While I am using 11.4 Big Sur, do I still need agdpmod=pikera? My understanding is the navi2 is supported in this version natively.

anything else I did was wrong?
Use agdpmod=ignore ,
I saw a few people on the discord saying you don’t need the boot argument this morning. Well it’s news to me as my RX 6800 sure does need if I use WEG.

Last edited:

oyyhlz

AMD OS X Member
Use agdpmod=ignore ,
I saw a few people on the discord saying you don’t need the boot argument this morning. Well it’s news to me as my RX 6800 sure does need if I use WEG.
Yep, using agdpmod=ignore was able to light up Big Sur. Thanks for the tips.

q135077777

AMD OS X Member

how about Dynamic OC Swithcher?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.