Sleep not working in Catalina on Asus ROG Strix X570-I

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Anyone has Sleep working with Asus ROG Strix X570-I running Catalina (10.15.5)? I tried all different options including
  • no usb mapping
  • usb mapping
  • not using AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement and using version 0.6.4 and 0.6.3
  • specifying boot arg darkwake=0
  • removing EC0

None worked for me. The screen goes dark but the CPU Fan continues to run. I have reset it to get back. Noticed that my USB keyboard does not work after the reset until I reboot.

Then, I installed Mojave to a different disk. Sleep works just fine on any of those settings above.

Anyone can help me out here??

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Anyone has Sleep working with Asus ROG Strix X570-I running Catalina (10.15.5)? I tried all different options including
  • no usb mapping
  • usb mapping
  • not using AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement and using version 0.6.4 and 0.6.3
  • specifying boot arg darkwake=0
  • removing EC0

None worked for me. The screen goes dark but the CPU Fan continues to run. I have reset it to get back. Noticed that my USB keyboard does not work after the reset until I reboot.

Then, I installed Mojave to a different disk. Sleep works just fine on any of those settings above.

Anyone can help me out here??

Well I upgraded to 10.15.6 as soon as it came out. But sleep still does not work :(

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
No need to quote yourself ;)

Catalina is well known to have sleep issues, especially with X570 USB controllers.
Did you wait 3 minutes, because after that the transition to sleep times out and KP. Usually in the crash report you see the reason, most likely USB.

Does your USB Keyboard have RGB or something special? RGB Controllers can cause issues in that regard. Try entering sleep with as few USB devices connected as possible.
Do you use the integrated Bluetooth? If so try setting the type of the USB Port to USB 2 instead of internal

What are your power management settings? Run pmset -g and pmset -g assertions

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the reply. Self post worked! :)

I have my keyboard and mouse connected to the USB2. Logitech keyboard and MS mouse. Nothing special. No other USB when I tried sleep. I tried my wireless/bluetooth as USB2 instead of internal (see that attached). Could not get the sleep to work. Attached result of pmset. Again, in Mojave, sleep works flawlessly without any changes, with usb mapping, additional usb attached. In fact, I cannot get sleep to not work in Mojave...

Attachments

• USB Mapped.png
    USB Mapped.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 37
  • pmset.png
    pmset.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 41

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I see 3 things that might block your sleep: LED Controller and 2 USB Dongles.

I'm usually using Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard and my system won't go to sleep when the USB Dongle of my Logitech mouse is connected.
If you have USB cable keyboard try sleep without any dongles (and exclude the LED Controller).

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
Please do tell if/how you got it working. I'm in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
I see 3 things that might block your sleep: LED Controller and 2 USB Dongles.

I'm usually using Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard and my system won't go to sleep when the USB Dongle of my Logitech mouse is connected.
If you have USB cable keyboard try sleep without any dongles (and exclude the LED Controller).
Led controller is built in to the motherboard, so nothing I can do there. I tried removing all USB and just using Bluetooth before without a success. Just in case, I tried once more. Same issue - fan keeps running after sleep. See the assertions prior to sleep.

Attachments

• Using Bluetooth Only.png
    Using Bluetooth Only.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 21

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You can remove the Port where the LED Controller is connected to from your USB mapping, thats usually enough.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Could you share your EFI? I’d have a look at it in the next couple of days, maybe I’ll catch something.

Btw, one other thing you can try is unchecking "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" under Advanced Bluetooth settings.

Last edited:

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Here is my EFI. I tried Bluetooth as well, no success. I don't think it's a problem with waking up. The fan never goes down which means it really never successfully goes to sleep. Thanks bunch for helping oiut.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did not see anything wrong, maybe two things to try:

There is a small error in the SSDT-XHC.aml (but I had the same so I don't expect this to cause any issues): Scope (\_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0) should be Scope (\_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8)

Most people use the boot arg agdpmod=pikera in combination with Navi cards

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
Did not see anything wrong, maybe two things to try:

There is a small error in the SSDT-XHC.aml (but I had the same so I don't expect this to cause any issues): Scope (\_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0) should be Scope (\_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8)

Most people use the boot arg agdpmod=pikera in combination with Navi cards
Thanks for pointing out the issue with SSDT-XHC.aml. I corrected it. Regarding the graphics card, I am switching back and forth between 660GTX and 5700XT. When I use 5700XT, I specify pikera.

I tried the sleep after the SSDT-XHC.aml fix, but no success. Can you see the log below and see if you can catch anything else? Looks like it "entered" the sleep, but the fan kept running. I have hit the "reset" button to restart the computer.

Attachments

• pmset-log.txt
    13 KB · Views: 6

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You'd have to wait for 180sec to see the kernel panic.

Code:
   id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.20400000 owner=Logitech BT Mini-Receiver
   id=502  level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.20500000 owner=Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0
I would guess those two devices blocking sleep, you could try using other ports.

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
You'd have to wait for 180sec to see the kernel panic.

Code:
   id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.20400000 owner=Logitech BT Mini-Receiver
   id=502  level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.20500000 owner=Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0
I would guess those two devices blocking sleep, you could try using other ports.
I removed those devices and used the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but that did not work. I am guessing it's OpenCore and Catalina combination. Sleep works in Mojave with and without USB patches and devices in any USB drives.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I now noticed the same behavior on my machine (fans and rgb lights do not turn off). It looks like MacOS itself is sleeping though (no logs from pm during that timeframe).

I currently suspect the last BIOS update to be the root cause (with 2.00 sleep was working).

EDIT Yep, downgrading to BIOS 2.00 (1.0.0.4 Patch B) fixed the issue, my machine enters sleep again.

Last edited:

sandflea

AMD OS X Member
I now noticed the same behavior on my machine (fans and rgb lights do not turn off). It looks like MacOS itself is sleeping though (no logs from pm during that timeframe).

I currently suspect the last BIOS update to be the root cause (with 2.00 sleep was working).

EDIT Yep, downgrading to BIOS 2.00 (1.0.0.4 Patch B) fixed the issue, my machine enters sleep again.

For x570-i, i see 2407 (dated 7/3), 2203 (6/22) and then 1407 (4/7). Mine originally came with 1407 and upgraded to 2407. Do you have the same motherboard?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've the ASRock one, but it could be the new AGESA was the source of the issues

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.