Should I update my bios after successful Catalina install? Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WIFI

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I have successfully installed Catalina 10.15.4 on my Gigabyte B450 I with Ryzen 3400G however, as many know, the 3400G causes a lot of problems with audio. The easiest way to sort that is to change the CPU. So I was going to install a Ryzen 5 3500X. This is a 3rd Gen cpu and in order for my motherboard to support it, I need to update the bios.

So question is, would updating the motherboard bios cause any issues with my Catalina install?

I could stick with a Gen 2 CPU but I would like, if possible the extra performance of the Gen 3.

Thanks

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I updated the bios and it boots into Windows 10 fine but now when I boot to Catalina I just get a black screen with the Apple logo. No progress bar.

So I assume there is something in the bios that needs changing or maybe in the EFI but as I cannot load Catalina I am not sure how I would change that.

Any suggestions?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I had to roll back the bios in order to get Catalina to boot again. I did try altering the settings in the updated bios but nothing seemed to work, unless I missed something?

So now I need to decide on whether I should buy the Ryzen 5 3500X 3rd Gen or stick with a 2nd Gen such as the Ryzen 5 2600 Gen2 6 Core. At least the latter would not require me to update the bios and theoretically, that should mean I can still boot Catalina. I need the audio working properly so I reckon that is my best bet right now.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Forgot to update this thread but I did go with the Ryzen 2600 in the end. Installed, booted to Catalina, and now working audio without glitches. A LOT easier than faffing around with the 3400G trying to find a way to sort the audio.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.