Should I install High Sierra now or wait for Big Sur?

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
Hey all,

It's my first time attempting a hackintosh and I'm currently stuck in a predicament of whether to install high sierra now or wait for big sur.

So the reason I'm in this situation is because I'm getting a new build and will be using a RX 6800, coming from a GTX1070.
However the 6800 card won't be coming till mid Dec, so I was thinking of using my previous 1070 1st.
And I've also heard some 6800XT users saying that Big Sur isn't fully compatible with it yet (until version 11.1/.2).

So I'm just wondering
1. How easy it is to update from High Sierra to Big Sur through opencore?
2. What are the complications of changing GPU after installing a hackintosh?
3. Should just wait till Big Sur is compatible with the RX 6800 before attempting to do a hackintosh?

Also I'm not sure if this changes anything but once the RX6800 comes I plan to put the 1070 back in my previous desktop so I can use it as a spare computer.

P.S. I'm not in urgent need of the MacOS right now but since I'm having my holidays now, I figured this would be the best time to work on installing a hackintosh

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Big Sur has initial driver support, you can install and run it on the 6000 cards, but there is currently no hardware acceleration.

You could do the same, I assume you can install Big Sur with the 1070 by disabling hardware acceleration to have everything ready once the 6000 card and drivers are available.

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
Big Sur has initial driver support, you can install and run it on the 6000 cards, but there is currently no hardware acceleration.

You could do the same, I assume you can install Big Sur with the 1070 by disabling hardware acceleration to have everything ready once the 6000 card and drivers are available.
If I'm not mistaken the 1070 is limited to High Sierra only right?

Or can the 1070 really run Big Sur by disabling hardware acceleration?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I’ve never done it myself, but I think you’d have to do that until you can install the WebDrivers not? I’d assume the Installer would not work with an unsupported card.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
If I'm not mistaken the 1070 is limited to High Sierra only right?

Or can the 1070 really run Big Sur by disabling hardware acceleration?

It's not worth installing a version of macOS where the GPU isn't supported. You're best sticking to High Sierra for your 1070.

Nat_Nareik

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the feedback :)

After thinking on this I've decided to just wait for hardware acceleration for the 6800 on Big Sur to be ready before attempting a hackintosh as it just seems a lot more straightforward that way.

Just hoping Apple doesn't take too long to do that 🤞

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.