Ryzen hackintosh USB hell. :(

ardweebno

AMD OS X Member
Hello all! I have an otherwise perfect Ryzentosh who struggles with USB sound devices. My machine specifics are as follows:
  • CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (stock frequencies)
  • SMBIOS : iMacPro1,1
  • Motherboard : ASRock x570 Taichi
  • RAM : G.Skill Trident 3200 MHz DDR
  • Catalina 10.15.6

In this case, I'm trying to connect a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface. The device connects and shows up in system report under USB devices, but the Focusrite control software cannot detect the device. This device works just fine on my real Macs and Windows 10 PCs, so I know the Scarlett device isn't the issue. The other macs in the house are running Catalina 10.15.6 and it works there, so I don't think this is a Catalina problem. Here is what I have done so far to rule out other possible issues:

1. Fully maped USB ports
2. Set the PCIe speed to Gen3
3. Tested the audio device against every USB port
4. Inserted a USB 2.0 hub in between the PC and Scarlett to test if this is a USB 3.0 -> 3.1 negotiation issue
5. Cursed prodigeously.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3d Gen and nothing I have tried makes it turn up in Focusrite Control on my Ryzentosh. It works fine, so I've honestly stopped trying. Contacted Focusrite support and tried all their steps too. If there's ever a need to do a firmware update, I'll do it from Windows. Very peculiar though, since it's correctly detected and it's on the same port under Windows. I'm also on an X570 board, wonder if it's something to do with that chipset.

ardweebno

AMD OS X Member
I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3d Gen and nothing I have tried makes it turn up in Focusrite Control on my Ryzentosh. It works fine, so I've honestly stopped trying. Contacted Focusrite support and tried all their steps too. If there's ever a need to do a firmware update, I'll do it from Windows. Very peculiar though, since it's correctly detected and it's on the same port under Windows. I'm also on an X570 board, wonder if it's something to do with that chipset.

Technically, the Scarlett 4i4 is working for me, but I cannot make any changes to the patching on the unit, and that's the part that annoys me. However, this, coupled with the fact that most other USB sound devices have sketchy to garbled output leads me to believe there is a much more systemic problem with USB on Ryzentoshes.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yeah, I have to admit I haven't done any USB mapping on my system (yet) since it's such a dark art. I want to do it so I have read all the how-to's multiple times and watched a zillion videos on it (though all seem to be about Intel machines - it's apparently easier on those?) but settled into ain't (annoyingly) broke don't fix for now.

Hbg1968

AMD OS X Member
Yeah, I have to admit I haven't done any USB mapping on my system (yet) since it's such a dark art. I want to do it so I have read all the how-to's multiple times and watched a zillion videos on it (though all seem to be about Intel machines - it's apparently easier on those?) but settled into ain't (annoyingly) broke don't fix for now.
I had issues wroth my scarlett solo not detecting, however it showed up when i moved it to another port. I haven't found an easy guide yet to amd making, but i suspect that will be the culprit.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
However, this, coupled with the fact that most other USB sound devices have sketchy to garbled output leads me to believe there is a much more systemic problem with USB on Ryzentoshes.

Uhm, by "the fact that most other USB sound devices have sketchy to garbled output", do you mean ones that you have tested or wide-spread reports by other users, because of it's the latter it's the first I have read about it. No issues with my Aorus X570 Elite with ZERO USB patching all USB audio works great. Tested with my xDSD, Momentum Wireless via USB (works as USB headphones), Logotech USB mic, and a cheap Sharkoon USB dongle.

Edit: I am still using Clover. Perhaps it's OC that's doing something funky?

ardweebno

AMD OS X Member
Uhm, by "the fact that most other USB sound devices have sketchy to garbled output", do you mean ones that you have tested or wide-spread reports by other users, because of it's the latter it's the first I have read about it. No issues with my Aorus X570 Elite with ZERO USB patching all USB audio works great. Tested with my xDSD, Momentum Wireless via USB (works as USB headphones), Logotech USB mic, and a cheap Sharkoon USB dongle.

Edit: I am still using Clover. Perhaps it's OC that's doing something funky?

I have read tons of reports from other users having USB sound problems, but I have 6 different USB sound interfaces that I have tested and all do the same thing. I am running OpenCore 0.5.7. Let met give you something else to think about. Today I took my current EFI folder, put it on a Mojave install drive and put 10.14.6 on my hack. Under Mojave, everything is working fine and all of the USB sound problems are gone. Rolling back to Mojave also seems to have cleared up what I thought was an unrelated Bluetooth problem, whcih makes sense because Bluetooth uses USB for the data connection. It definitely seems like this is a config-related problem that exists between OpenCore and Catalina.

Disregard my update. After using the system for a few more hours, the audio drops have come back with a vengenance. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.