Ryzen 9 3950x, ASRock B550M-ITX/AC, Asus RX 560 OC 4GB, Catalina

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 560 OC 4GB
Memory: 64 GB Patriot Viper Steel Kit (2 x 32)
SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe

cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II
case: MetallicGear Neo Mini V2 - Silver
PSU: Mars Gaming MPII550 750W

Bootloader OC 0.6.2 SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

Working
  • Ethernet
  • Audio
  • BlueTooth - but there's no GUI switch to turn it OFF
  • USB 2 / 3 / C
  • Adobe apps with AMD fix
  • virtualization with VMware Fusion 10.1.6
  • restart / shutdown / sleep - before I had to turn off the PSU for a few sec in order to boot, otherwise the motherboard was brain dead after restart / shutdown - manual USB mapping is needed

not working yet
  • Wi-Fi

To Dos
  • I have a lagging issue with the wireless mouse, but I also experience it with Win10, most probably since the BIOS update. update: restoring the original 1.00 firmware seams like fixing the mouse lag < Fixed. BIOS reset helpded
  • overclocking
BIOS settings
  • SATA hotplug OFF - without this my 3.5" HDD was not recognised (but the other 2.5" was)
  • FastBoot OFF
  • Secure Boot OFF
  • TPM and fTPM OFF
  • Secure Boot OFF
  • CSM - makes no difference
  • Bluetooth and WiFi disabled

Post install fixes
  • NVME shows as external drive, fix here
  • iMessage needs patching
  • Jettison for fixing "Disk Not Ejected Properly"

Benchmarks

V-Ray 4 27.734
V-Ray 5 18.952

Cinebench 20 - 9563 pts
Cinebench 23 - 24.304 pts
V-Ray Benchmark (v4.10.07) CPU 27.892 GPU 195
it's interesting that with Windows it's only 26.520

GeekBench 5
CPU 1.346 14.058 (1.351 14.344 with Windows)
Metal 19.400 OpenCL 19.134 (23.023 with Windows)

NVMe R/W speed tops at 2.810 MB/s

Temps / Power

CPU idle 32 C / 24 Watt full blast 62 C / 125 Watt

NVMe temp idle 29 C under stress test 55 C

ACPIs
  • SSDT-CPUR - please note: I'm using a new SSDT-CPUR that is not the same as the one linked in dortania guide. If you have a CPU like me, you can download a .dsl from here and compile an .aml yourself
  • SSDT-EC-USBX
  • SSDT-HPET - fixes IRQ Conflicts - created with SSDTTime on Windows
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC - fixes System Management Bus path (SMBus) - created manually
  • SSDT-RHUB-ASRock-B550M-ITX-AC - used while creating the USB mapping
  • SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA - needed X86PlatformPlugin to load (for AGPMInjector.kext)

Kexts
  • AGPMInjector - didn't bring improvement to GPU performance
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement
  • AppleALC
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler
  • ASRock-B550M-ITX-AC-USB-Map - my own mapping - the only thing I could not check is an iPhone/iPad connected with USB-C to USB-C cable as mine has Lightningport
  • dummy152 - that enables HVEC on Radeon RX 560, having iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS definition is mandatory
  • Lilu
  • MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler - needed because of MacPro7,1 the OS reports memory error
  • NVMeFix
  • RealtekRTL8111
  • SMCAMDProcessor
  • VirtualSMC
  • WhateverGreen

Attachments

• USB port mapping.jpg
    USB port mapping.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 134
  • ACPI.zip
    7 KB · Views: 69
  • Kexts.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • vray 4 test.png
    vray 4 test.png
    124 KB · Views: 27
  • vray 5 test.png
    vray 5 test.png
    949.6 KB · Views: 21
  • EFI 6.4 working.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
Your bugs are weird !
Did you change the WiFi card ?
Because it should be simple with this card ?

for a 3950X I would take a x570 from gigabyte or ASUS :/

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
I did not change the Wifi card, actually I'm ok without Wifi, as latency over Ethernet is much better.

It's the cheapest board in iTX size, I did not want to spend money unnecessary on board, but instead on CPU.

I tried the AppleIntelWifiAdapterV2.kext as this board has an Intel AC 3168 chip, but it made no difference, it's not recognised.

manoueltiger

AMD OS X Member
I saw that... but that’s not a good idea IMO.
The 3900 and 3950X are high end CPU and need a good mainboard because they run very hot ! You can break your MB with this. For 30-40$, you should make an effort.

and take a Broadcom card, you will have WiFi/BT/continuity without kext (the bcm94360ng)

it’s my advice, do as you wish...

you need to read this :

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
update: I managed to get iMessages working

the problem was that I overlooked the fact that it's not enough for the Ethernet to show up as en0. It also has to be 'built-in' !
So back to dortania 'Fixind Services' , found the PCI root of the network controller and appied the patch as by the guide.
iMessages started working immediately, although I was afraid that after about 100x failed activation attempts it could have been blocked on apple side.
It's very easy to check if your network card has this flan on or off with Hackintool.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 10.33.55.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 10.33.55.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 118

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
update: although I don't need Wifi, as for testing I tried installing the itlwm_v1.0.0_stable.kext + the Heliport app and wifi is working, but with poor performance. It's not a native support btw. Handoff and Airdrop not supported. So it was just a test, deleting these now.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
I'm done with the USB mapping. I think this motherboard might heave a front side USB-C port, but by case doesn't have a connector for that - I think so because there are some unused ports with lower values in the list.
There's one "personality type" I could not try on USB-C port > an iphone or ipad connected via USB-C to USB-C port as my iPhone has a Lightning port.

Unfortunately USB mapping brought no change to restart / shutdown.
Here's what I have tried so far:

- tried disabling USB controllers separately in USB mapping kext by deleting entries in the usb mapping kext - no change

- tried disabling USB controllers in BIOS separately - no change

- tried removing SSDT-USBX.aml but keep the port mapping - no change

- tried with board specific SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (that I created using the "SB_.PCI0.SBRG" as a path for the Embedded Controller and keep the port mapping - no change

- tried restart with usb devices removed - no change

- tried with 'AppleUSBHostMergeProperties' and also 'AppleUSBMergeNub' in port mapping kext - no change

- tried the 'Fixing Shutdown/Restart' from dortania guide - no change

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
update:

after 2 weeks of learning and experimenting, restart / shutdown / sleep finally works like a sharm.
I never thought such basic features working will ever make me so happy.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
Since the initial install I had about 3 system freeze, and today another one. Previously I had no time to take a look at crashreport, but today I did.

The report shows the one today was related to bluetooth. As I'm not using it, I disabled both WiFi and BlueTooth in BIOS. We'll see if it brings more stability.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
update on overclocking:

I spent a whole day investigating the overclocking subject.
I was of the belief that the AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext provides energy-efficient usage only.

After comparing PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) to overclocking via frequency adjustment + voltage lifting in Windows I came to a conclusion that I was mistaken.
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext not only handles energy efficient usage but also Overclocking within safe limits - and even better, providing superior performance compared to overclocking with the official AMD Ryzen Master app on Windows.

On Windows I got only 26.520 with V-ray Benchmark however with Catalina 10.15.7 27.892

I consider V-ray Benchmark the objective performance meter as it pushes all cores to maximum all the time,
and that's what's important in this case as this configuration is going to perform as a heavy load 3D rendering machine.
Geekbench on the other hand tests multi-core performance for only a very short period of time, hence the results are objective and are not the same on the same machine using different operating systems.

I was unable to run this configuration with the 4.4/4.3 GHz + 1.34 Core voltage setting, the machine crashed / restarted quite quickly. My guess is that for frequency boost + voltage setting adjustment kind of overclocking a memory module of 3600 MHz with a more expensive 'die' is essential (manufactured by Samsung and named B-die... then sold to all other brands). So the only option I had left was PBO and based on temperature and CPU frequency diagram I think that AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext uses this approach.

After you add the above mentioned kext + the accompanying VirtualSMC.kext, and inject them into config.plist, you restart, install and open the "AMD Power Gadget" app, hit on the red 3500MHz button under "Speed Steps" and enjoy the performance boost.

A note: Ryzen CPUs have built-in performance cap limit that is engaded when the CPU reaches the 64 Celsius value, and you can't push it to a higher frequency when at this temperature. Watching the AMD Power Gadget we can clearly see the CPU cores are forced to operate at 4.1 GHz. However when the temperature is low - for example the start of the testing when the base temp is still around 32 Celsius - the CPU cores can jump to 4.5, but because the temps reach the value of 64 C very quickly the frequency drops to the steady 4.1 MHz in a few seconds.

If my observation is right then buying the big brother of my cooler, the: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 ( I have 240) and also a bigger ATX case (I have iTX) could in theory bring slightly better cooling performance, and maybe, just maybe squeeze out 1 or 2% more performance out of this CPU.

Attachments

• oc idle.png
    oc idle.png
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • OC under load.png
    OC under load.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
Hi man, great build. Can you please tell me how you fixed restart/shutdowm issue?

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
Hi man, great build. Can you please tell me how you fixed restart/shutdowm issue?
I've created a USB mapping by following the dortania guide. It's not enough but essential. What's important is that the internal port of LED controller (that's attached via USB) should be skipped > NOT included in the mapping, as that's what causing the inability to restart / shutdown on some of the B550 boards that come by default with LED controller.

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
I've created a USB mapping by following the dortania guide. It's not enough but essential. What's important is that the internal port of LED controller (that's attached via USB) should be skipped > NOT included in the mapping, as that's what causing the inability to restart / shutdown on some of the B550 boards that come by default with LED controller.

Man thank you for the advice. It was the same LED controller in my motherboard too. Now restart/shutdown are OK.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
Man thank you for the advice. It was the same LED controller in my motherboard too. Now restart/shutdown are OK.
what board you have?
by the way: I made an edit suggestion to dortania to include this fix into post-install fixes, as I saw a bunch of people complaining for being unable to restart/shutdown

Aganar

AMD OS X Member
what board you have?
by the way: I made an edit suggestion to dortania to include this fix into post-install fixes, as I saw a bunch of people complaining for being unable to restart/shutdown

I have Asrock B550M Steel Legend

tony535

AMD OS X Member
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 560 OC 4GB
Memory: 64 GB Patriot Viper Steel Kit (2 x 32)
SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe

cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II
case: MetallicGear Neo Mini V2 - Silver
PSU: Mars Gaming MPII550 750W

Bootloader OC 0.6.2 SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

Working
  • Ethernet
  • Audio
  • BlueTooth - but there's no GUI switch to turn it OFF
  • USB 2 / 3 / C
  • Adobe apps with AMD fix
  • virtualization with VMware Fusion 10.1.6
  • restart / shutdown / sleep - before I had to turn off the PSU for a few sec in order to boot, otherwise the motherboard was brain dead after restart / shutdown - manual USB mapping is needed

not working yet
  • Wi-Fi

To Dos
  • I have a lagging issue with the wireless mouse, but I also experience it with Win10, most probably since the BIOS update. update: restoring the original 1.00 firmware seams like fixing the mouse lag < Fixed. BIOS reset helpded
  • overclocking
BIOS settings
  • FastBoot OFF
  • Secure Boot OFF
  • TPM and fTPM OFF
  • Secure Boot OFF
  • CSM - makes no difference

Post install fixes
  • NVME shows as external drive, fix here
  • iMessage needs patching
  • Jettison for fixing "Disk Not Ejected Properly"

Benchmarks

Cinebench 20 - 9563pt
V-Ray Benchmark (v4.10.07) CPU 27.892 GPU 195
it's interesting that with Windows it's only 26.520

GeekBench 5
CPU 1.346 14.058 (1.351 14.344 with Windows)
Metal 19.400 OpenCL 19.134 (23.023 with Windows)

NVMe R/W speed tops at 2.810 MB/s

Temps / Power

CPU idle 32 C / 24 Watt full blast 62 C / 125 Watt

NVMe temp idle 29 C under stress test 55 C

ACPIs
  • SSDT-CPUR - please note: I'm using a new SSDT-CPUR that is not the same as the one linked in dortania guide. If you have a CPU like me, you can download a .dsl from here and compile an .aml yourself
  • SSDT-EC-USBX
  • SSDT-HPET - made with SSDTTime
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC - made with SSDTTime
  • SSDT-RHUB-ASRock-B550M-ITX-AC - used while creating the USB mapping
  • SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA - needed X86PlatformPlugin to load (for AGPMInjector.kext)

Kexts
  • AGPMInjector - didn't bring improvement to GPU performance
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement
  • AppleALC
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler
  • ASRock-B550M-ITX-AC-USB-Map - my own mapping - the only thing I could not check is an iPhone/iPad connected with USB-C to USB-C cable as mine has Lightningport
  • dummy152 - that enables HVEC on Radeon RX 560, having iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS definition is mandatory
  • Lilu
  • MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler - needed because of MacPro7,1 the OS reports memory error
  • NVMeFix
  • RealtekRTL8111
  • SMCAMDProcessor
  • VirtualSMC
  • WhateverGreen

Fix for NVME showing up as external works. Thank You!

ASRock B450M Pro4 Big Sur Version 11.0 Beta (20A5374i)

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Can you run this test in Xcode 11 or 12?
Xcode benchmark

There's a detailed instruction how to setup the test properly – basically choose Xcode benchmark scheme and Generic iOS device as target and press Cmd+B as soon as that's done. There's also a simple command line which enables showing build time in the toolbar.

I'm interested in two things:
  • are all cores saturated during build (iStat Menus can show you that)
  • what's the total build time

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
sure pal, I like benchmarks so much that I eat them for breakfast :D

so, I've followed the instructions...
  • there is no Generic iOS Device, i guess 'Any iOS Device' was meant by the author
  • the test took 12 sec to complete
update: on second and third try it's 28 sec (I have deleted the DerivedData before between tests)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.16.15.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.16.15.png
    63 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.35.01.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.35.01.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.35.23.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.35.23.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.55.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 17.55.52.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
sure pal, I like benchmarks so much that I eat them for breakfast :D

so, I've followed the instructions...
  • there is no Generic iOS Device, i guess 'Any iOS Device' was meant by the author
  • the test took 12 sec to complete
update: on second and third try it's 28 sec (I have deleted the DerivedData before between tests)

Ah, that’s just one of the modules, not the whole thing. Tap where it says “gRPC...”, select “Xcode benchmark” and then “Any iOS device” as you already did.

Make sure to delete derived data first, which forces Xcode to re-compile all the dependent modules and then the main target. Don’t bother with restarts, turning WiFi off or any of that. Just clearing derived data is enough.

I’m hoping for a result between 160-180s.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.